X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a fuel plane help

Looking to buy a gas plane, never owned one, I’ve been flying electric for years.

I’ve found a plane I might be interested in and the plane has a brand new engine, I asked the buyer if I travel all the way to his house (hour and a half) would it be possible to see the engine running before I purchased and he said he’s not going to start it up, but it has excellent compression.
    Is this common ? Do you guys buy gas planes without seeing the engine run ?

I would assume the engine is unable to run if he is unwilling to run it even with plenty of notice that you will want to see/hear it running.
    Adjust the price as if you will be replacing the engine.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The other thing is, is it gasoline or glow fuel engine? Keep in mind if it is gasoline the ignition is most likely at fault if it doesn't even try to fire, if its glow, it may just need a new glow plug, or he has a failed glow ignitor. Otherwise as stated adjust for the engine costs as stated.

Comment

If the engine is new out of the box, has always been inside and isn't very old and never been run then go with it. If it's been out of the box for a number of years and never been run then it's possible you have corrosion but would probably still be a solid. Easy enough to check by removing the plug, move the piston all the way down and shine a bright light in there if you suspect it.

How long has the plane been completed and has it ever flown? Has it flown before and he just put a new engine on it? Maybe he wanted to keep the engine that was on it and he replaced it with a new lesser engine? Nothing wrong with that if it's a worthy engine.

Comment

The engine is a Dle-20, the plane has been completed for over two years and never flown, he bought it for his kid to fly, but the kid never flew it.

Comment

Well that is definitely a worthy engine, and if the price is right get it.

Comment

I don't like it when someone tells me they will not start and run a engine but as Beeg said pull the spark plug and turn the engine over( light on). You also while the plug is removed, ground it out on the engine head while turning over to see if it sparks. If I was offering one of my gas aircraft I always offer a flight demo followed by answering any question they may have. Remember Full disclosure is always best. Always have a list of questions before hand ready to go when you meet up. Watch how they reply.

Comment

I totally agree. Also might bring a fresh plug just to be sure.

Comment

DLE-20 is a great engine. I've had one on my quarter Cub for a few years, never had to adjust anything and it's never missed a beat.

Comment

DLE engine are not bad at all, I have a DLE 55RA and a 61 both work very well. The 61 has many hours on it with lots of power.

Comment

Working...
                    X