X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS 800 Planes - weak points and comments

I am a real fan of the FMS 800 planes.  Especially since I installed Eagle Gyro units in them, the gyro units have removed a lot of the "skittish" flight characteristics and made flying the 800 series far more enjoyable.  You still have to fly them, but the occasional erratic movements no longer occur.

Also, the size of these allow me to fly in a couple of our larger parks/playgrounds and I do not have to drive 30 miles to the designated RC flying site.

So, to those of you who have one or more of the FMS 800 planes, which do you consider to be the most stable as to flight characteristics and also able to handle light winds.

From my experience the T-28 seems to me to be the most stable of them all.

Now, my only complaint.  I have noticed that all of the 800 series planes use exactly the same brittle plastic mounts. If you need replacements you need to buy a replacement wing. I do not need more wings, just have the landing gear mounts available as spare parts
    They are made out of a very brittle plastic and can take very little pressure without cracking and breaking.  What makes it worse is that  these are note made available as parts you can buy. IF they were I would be a bag of a dozen or so, just to have on hand, and knowing that eventually I would use them all due to the brittleness of the plastic.
    I only wish that FMS would change the composition  of the plastic landing gear mounts that are installed in the wings.  I have seen a number of plastics compositions that are not as brittle.  If there plastic mount was more sturdy and had a bit more give to it, then it would not be as easily damaged.

I have contacted FMS directly about these. If more of there customers contacted them as well about the brittle landing gear mounts perhaps they will be available as a spare part.

RE: FMS 800 Planes - weak points and comments

I don't think the 800 series fly well on 2s batteries. Other than that I think these planes are great (with 3s that is).
    Flight Risk (Sean)
    AMA # 986105

Comment

Greetings DonRhone,

I too enjoy the portability and convenience of the 800mm series warbirds.
      I can't say that I have experienced huge issues with the plastic components.

As far as my favorite and which I consider the most stable flyer (no stabilizer) I'd have to go with the Corsair.
      I have the T-28, At-6, P-40, P-47, P-51, Corsair and A1 Skyraider.

The model I have the most difficulty with (twitchy) is the A1-Skyraider.
      I finally ended up programming the expo way down and it made a huge difference on ALL of these 800mm planes.
      It really calmed them down.

While I'll agree the T-28 in any size is a good flyer, of the 800's i get the best performance from the Corsair.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

I'm fussing around trying to get the CG right on my new FMS 800mm P-51. It is too nose heavy.  I tried balancing the aircraft on some sticks at the CG indicators on the bottom of the wing (just inboard of each main gear) and it seemed to balance OK on the sticks. But when I went flying, it was still too nose heavy. When I move the battery a little further aft(into the area just ahead of the rudder/elevator servos, then flew it again, it was still too nose heavy. My wife says its defective and I should return it. She said I have not had to fuss like that with any of my Horizon Hobby airplanes.  She's right. None of my Horizon Hobby aircraft have a CG issue. They all balance perfectly right out of the box. I just might stick with Horizon Hobby from now on. Anyone one else have issues with FMS CG?

Comment

Are you checking the plane CG upside down? The LG should be facing the sky when you check the CG on this plane. What is the plane doing in the air than makes you feel it is nose heavy?
          Flight Risk (Sean)
          AMA # 986105

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy
            I'm fussing around trying to get the CG right on my new FMS 800mm P-51. It is too nose heavy.  I tried balancing the aircraft on some sticks at the CG indicators on the bottom of the wing (just inboard of each main gear) and it seemed to balance OK on the sticks. But when I went flying, it was still too nose heavy. When I move the battery a little further aft(into the area just ahead of the rudder/elevator servos, then flew it again, it was still too nose heavy. My wife says its defective and I should return it. She said I have not had to fuss like that with any of my Horizon Hobby airplanes.  She's right. None of my Horizon Hobby aircraft have a CG issue. They all balance perfectly right out of the box. I just might stick with Horizon Hobby from now on. Anyone one else have issues with FMS CG?
            These 800mm series are a handful. Many believe because of their price point and size that they may be a great choice for entry level pilots. Not true. These are sometimes much harder to fly than larger planes. For example, when you fly a larger plane it more than likely also weighs more meaning it carries its speed or its energy better and maintains it better even when attitude changes. [Less likely to stall or get tossed by winds] The lighter plane carries way less momentum and can scrub off speed very quickly which makes the plane a handful. The 800mm planes are sweet with a gyro but still concerted efforts must be made to keep from slowing to quickly. Our Horizon Hobby planes may be a little more "ready to Go" out of the box but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss everything else. Even going to the 980mm size is a world of difference as they are much heavier and a little more predictable. 

Comment

If you are having issues with the CG, try using a Great Planes C.G. Machine from Motion.  I have used this one for some time now and it works great.  It takes the guess work of the process.  I have three of the 800mm planes all with gyros and this really makes a difference.

Comment

Greetings,

I believe that if you tried to CG your plane the way you've indicated, your issues are understandable.

Try to CG it again as mentioned above, with the gear "UP" and I think you'll see a noticable difference.

Also, as described by Ryan, the 800mm series of warbirds though very afordable and offer great detail, they are not prone to the learning environment.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bill L.
                in Okla.

Comment

A couple flights from today!

Here is my wife's attempt to film me flying, she gave up on both planes. Have fun watching!
                  Flight Risk (Sean)
                  AMA # 986105

Comment

Hey Stoopid, I must just be lucky with the plastics. I have had to bend one of my landing gear back into place twice now and have not had an issue with the plastics holding it in. Apart from that and having to deal with my stupidity the I like my P-40 (although it is grounded for a little bit as I am having fun with a sport cub S I picked up and am flying close by at a local school. Joys of not really having a decent flying location here. Have found 1 or 2 good locations within 20 miles but to go to a tarmac RC flying site I would have to go about 70-80 miles away.

Comment

Greetings,

Wow, flying the 800mm?? P-40 on a 3s, I surprised it stayed in the air as long as it did!!

You flying location looks awesome!

Best of luck.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                      in Okla.

Comment

It performs absolutely awesome on 3s. I only flew on 2s twice and crashed both times. The ESC holds up fine does not even get warm. I take my P-40 with me everywhere just in case I find a spot to fly, since switching to 1300mAh I have had no problems with her.
                        Flight Risk (Sean)
                        AMA # 986105

Comment

Originally posted by STOOPIDMONKEY
                          It performs absolutely awesome on 3s. I only flew on 2s twice and crashed both times. The ESC holds up fine does not even get warm. I take my P-40 with me everywhere just in case I find a spot to fly, since switching to 1300mAh I have had no problems with her.
                          I agree! After using 3s 1300 I rarely go back to the 1300 2c I started flying it with. I have also had no issues with mine.

Comment

Greetings Guys,

Most interesting!
                            I am now intriqued enough to check this out on my own.

Thanks,

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                            in Okla.

Comment

I fly these planes on both 2S and 3S. HOWEVER, I should mention the prop/motor pull about 26A when on 3S and the ESC is only 20A. You will absolutely fry your ESC if you use a lot of full throttle. I've upgraded my Mustang to a 35A ESC to handle the extra current. These do fly perfectly on 2S as well. My others are all on 2S. As Ryan says, these are the most difficult FMS planes to fly out of the entire FMS lineup. These small planes are a handful. The challenge is what makes it fun. If you are in the mood for a relaxing flight, the 800mm planes are not the ones you want to pick.

Comment

+1 relaxing they are not, fun as all hell they are. Definitely not a beginner plane for sure.
                                Flight Risk (Sean)
                                AMA # 986105

Comment

Greetings Tom,

THAT was my intial concern as I read about the 3s lipo's being used in the 800mm series.
                                  I have always flown mine on 2s with no intolerable power issues mid-to-max.

I understand a 1300mAh 3s is 'doable' with serious throttle management to protect the stock power system, but other than some additional flight time, 2s at full-tilt-boogie seems about the same as a 3s at a forced/safe 1/2 to 3/4 throttle without an upgrade.

If I'm going to fly these monsters' on 3s, then I'm going to upgrade and "fly" them!!!

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                  in OKla.

Comment

My 800mm Zero is on it's second season as a belly lander. I had a rough start, but once I figured out the launch technique it's been a ball. I changed the prop adapter and re-propped to an APC two blade. I see another in my future this summer, from MRC of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC
                                      I fly these planes on both 2S and 3S. HOWEVER, I should mention the prop/motor pull about 26A when on 3S and the ESC is only 20A. You will absolutely fry your ESC if you use a lot of full throttle. I've upgraded my Mustang to a 35A ESC to handle the extra current. These do fly perfectly on 2S as well. My others are all on 2S. As Ryan says, these are the most difficult FMS planes to fly out of the entire FMS lineup. These small planes are a handful. The challenge is what makes it fun. If you are in the mood for a relaxing flight, the 800mm planes are not the ones you want to pick.
                                      I upgraded the ESC to 35 amps as well, (T28 800) but went only to 3S 1100 Admirals. With that, I had to glue four quarters to the nose, behind the cowling.

Comment

Have the FMS 800 T28 and P51 Red Tail. I put a SAFE select receiver out of an Icon I busted up into the P51, and it’s great for takeoff and landing, and relaxing buzzing around. I switch it off for aerobatics way up high. Wondering about using a 3S battery, and thanks for the comments on that. Also have ordered the new Admiral RX600XP with Stability Plus gyro to try the same thing above. I’m getting too old to fly without a little help from the gyro, and have crashed too many 800s using a straight 4 channel receiver.

Comment

Working...
                                        X