You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for EDF brands other than Freewing?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for EDF brands other than Freewing?

Would love to buy an E-Flite EDF but do not see any I would like to purchase yet.
    Been researching FMS and Dynam, but it seems like the quality varies per model.
    I like Freewing's large selection, but their foam is too brittle IMHO after owning one.
    I am currently considering the Dynam A-10 and ME-262, the FMS A-10, and the FMS F-18 Super Hornet.

Freewing isn't the problem, I've been following your post and it sounds like maybe you're not ready for an EDF...what planes did you fly before getting the F-86?
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
      Freewing isn't the problem, I've been following your post and it sounds like maybe you're not ready for an EDF...what planes did you fly before getting the F-86?
      E-Flite F4ZF Wildcat and P-47D Razorback 1.2. (flys perfectly every time regardless of having AS3X or not).
      Not gonna rehash everything I already mentioned in the other post, but one point of clarification, my F-86 is the 64mm version, not the larger version.

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post

E-Flite F4ZF Wildcat and P-47D Razorback 1.2. (flys perfectly every time regardless of having AS3X or not).
        Not gonna rehash everything I already mentioned in the other post, but one point of clarification, my F-86 is the 64mm version, not the larger version.
        I have one of those and it flies great if you launch it straight out and not up. Also make sure you calibrate the ESC so you have the full throttle range.
        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

George, did you glue your fan in place?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
            George, did you glue your fan in place?
            No, but when we face plant these things that little lip or glue just won't hold them in.
            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I had one of these small edf planes from fw and if you don't get the set up right you WILL CRASH get a rebel great first jet

Comment

In my opinion anything other than a freewing is a step down in quality with a few exceptions

Comment

If your still new to EDF's you should really be looking at airplanes with flight characteristics that are easy to handle. Just like new RC pilots should start of in a trainer such as a Cessna so does the same concept apply to moving up to EDF's.
                  These are the top rated EDFs for newbies:

1. FW Hawk T1 70mm
                  2. FW Yak-130 70mm
                  3 FW F-86 Saber 80mm

Even though these are not my top favorites I recognize they will better prepare me to move up to EDF with less of a chance of crashing.

Even in the Arm Forces you have to work your way up in different trainers before you can fly a top tier fighter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Training Pipline.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	147129

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post
                    Would love to buy an E-Flite EDF but do not see any I would like to purchase yet.
                    Been researching FMS and Dynam, but it seems like the quality varies per model.
                    I like Freewing's large selection, but their foam is too brittle IMHO after owning one.
                    I am currently considering the Dynam A-10 and ME-262, the FMS A-10, and the FMS F-18 Super Hornet.
                    "After owning one"? That's not sufficient to make a wholesale blanket statement about the model line.
                    Dynam A-10 .............. underpowered. If you fly off grass, you'll likely not get off the ground and/or crash trying. Poor choice as many have discovered, myself included.
                    Dynam ME-262 ,,,,,,,,, 4 cell power, may also be a bit anemic.
                    FMS A-10 ........... are you consistently greasing your landings? The gear on this one will likely snap out of the mounts if you have a rough landing (witnessed this first hand myself).
                    FMS F-18 ........... This is a fast jet. If you believe you can handle it, get it. It's a good quality, good flying model. Landing can be a bit fast even with full flaps. (Seen it myself.)

Comment

Dynam Me262... 110 mph straight from the box, set up exactly by the instructions. Handles reasonably smooth grass fine. Gathers up sand burrs like crazy though. doesn't take much foam cutting to fit in 4S 5000 mah and it likes the extra capacity.
                      After adjusting CG and the horizontal stab incidence (see my review on MotionRC website), it can do an outside loop, but when adjusted for this, you must use care not to do 3/4 loop on takeoff, since low airspeed and high power will overcome full down elevator.
                      Stall recovery due to holding a steep climb too long is hit the rudder to point the nose down, before it flips onto its back. (similar to the 3/4 loop on takeoff, low airspeed and high power = don't do it.
                      Does not like tight turns because of loss of airspeed.
                      Very smooth flying model once trimmed out properly. The "bad habits" the model has are similar to "bad habits" of the full scale. (I did talk with the pilot of one of the full scale reproductions. MUST watch for excess power for the airspeed. The low slung engines push the nose up.)

Yes, the Dynam A-10 has issues. they can be solved. Not a good first EDF model but it can be made to fly reasonably well.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                        If your still new to EDF's you should really be looking at airplanes with flight characteristics that easy to handle. Just like new RC pilots should start of in a trainer such as a Cessna so does the same concept apply to moving up to EDF's.

1. FW Hawk T1 70mm
                        2. FW Yak-130 70mm
                        3 FW F-86 Saber 80mm

Even though these are not my top favorites I recognize they will better prepare me to move up to EDF with less of a chance of crashing.
                        Can the FW Hawk T1 70mm or the FW Yak-130 70mm start easily on cut grass fields?
                        I'm not yet directly planning to buy a larger EDF jet yet... but maybe in a few month with more flying experience.

Comment

I fly my Hawk off of cut grass all the time. Gobbs of power!

Comment

Seems to me like you have to do some (any?) research.

Comment

Originally posted by McLogo View Post

Can the FW Hawk T1 70mm or the FW Yak-130 70mm start easily on cut grass fields?
                              I'm not yet directly planning to buy a larger EDF jet yet... but maybe in a few month with more flying experience.
                              Can't speak for the Hawk, but I fly the Yak 130 off grass even before it's cut. It's got plenty of power but you might want to install the optional trailing link mains. I belly land mine.

Comment

I have both the f18 and A10 from fms. Heres video of both on my very rough grass fields all stock.

Comment

And the A10. Only thing I did add was a BEC. Just do not trust the internal ones in the stock escs. However the f18 is totally stock running off just the stock esc internal bec.

Comment

The 70mm Hawk will do grass. The wheels are small, but the plane is so light, that it won't be a problem. You'll love that plane. It's my favorite.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                                        If your still new to EDF's you should really be looking at airplanes with flight characteristics that are easy to handle. Just like new RC pilots should start of in a trainer such as a Cessna so does the same concept apply to moving up to EDF's.

1. FW Hawk T1 70mm
                                        2. FW Yak-130 70mm
                                        3 FW F-86 Saber 80mm

Even in the Arm Forces you have to work your way up in different trainers before you can fly a top tier fighter.

Click image for larger version Name:	Training Pipline.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	147129
                                        Thanks Evoman!

Comment

Working...
                                        X