X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3s or 4s?

hey guys I’m pretty new to the rc game. I totaled my Dynam T-6 yesterday. It wasn’t bad flying, it was bad depth perception haha. Anyways I want to buy the Dynam hawker but it says it recommends a 4s. Can I use a 3 with the current esc? Thanks everyone

Originally posted by matthewmillerkauai View Post
    hey guys I’m pretty new to the rc game. I totaled my Dynam T-6 yesterday. It wasn’t bad flying, it was bad depth perception haha. Anyways I want to buy the Dynam hawker but it says it recommends a 4s. Can I use a 3 with the current esc? Thanks everyone
    MMKauai, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! If you use 3S, i.e., 3 cells in series instead of 4S, obviously, the biggest difference is the voltage delivered to the motors. A 3S Lipo has a nominal voltage of 11.1V or 12.6V when fully charged, while a 4S Lipo has a nominal voltage of 14.8V and 16.8V at full charge. Voltage is RPM in this example and the Low Voltage Circuit in the current ESC might not allow the lower voltages of a 3S. I hope this has helped, but I am sure you'll receive better advice here at the "Squawk" as there are many who have vast knowledge and experience with this topic. Additionally, there are many Youtube vids on Lipo's that I have found informative. Best, Elbee
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. I’m pretty sure I’ll just go with the spitfire then. It’s 3s, and I have a bunch of 3s stuff. I’m just curious if I can make the 3s work with the same hookup. Can’t wait to get back flying!

Comment

Well I don’t have vast knowledge or experience but I can see that the ESC is rated for 2S to 4S, so it would operate. It may also fly on 3S, it just wont fly as fast!

Comment

Most of the Dynam appx 1200 mm series airplanes can fly on 3S or 4S

There's a difference between flying well and "can fly" If they call for 4S, use 4S.

I fly some of the 4S models from that series using 3S occasionally... in essentially 0 wind and not even thinking about aerobatics. Mostly just doing the traffic pattern and touch-n-goes.

I do wattmeter tests to verify if the 3S recommended models can handle 4S. The P-51 and Spitfire (as equipped 2.5 years ago) can handle 4S just fine. Easy to carve some foam and get 4S 3300 mah in the P-51. Not happening with the Spitfire.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The Dynam Spitfire and Mustang (can) fly on 3s but just barely. I changed the stock props and spinners out and put APC 12x6 two blade props on them and made them fly much better or move up to 4s.

Comment

I will concur with that, lots of times 3s on some of these planes are just fast enough to get you into trouble.

Comment

Once you've gone 4S, you won't want to fly 3S again. Step up, and you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                  Once you've gone 4S, you won't want to fly 3S again. Step up, and you won't regret it.
                  I could say "once you've gone 12S, you'll never go back."

But I still fly 1S, 3S, 4S, 6S, 8S and 9S too... 18S is coming...
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                  X