X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my first* EDF and cannot make a decision

If you read my other posts I have been flying the E-Flite F4F WildCat and E-Flite P47D Razorback 1.2m.
    I would like to move on to EDF's, but do not want a hand launched belly lander.

*Tried the FW F-86 64mm and did not like it at all, which is a hand launched belly lander.
    I could not get it airborne for a variety of reasons that I will not waste your time rehashing here, but if you are interested just check my other posts for the reasons.

Prefer slower flying EDF's than fast ones, as well as ones that are any colors other than gray or silver as I think gray will be too difficult to see and/or make out it's orientation, and my current Razorback is silver.

My impression from reading this forum and others as well as reviews, leads me to believe I should stick with buying the new E-Flite Viper that is being released, but it's already out of stock, on back order, etc etc and who knows when it will become available again as HH keeps moving the dates.

The FMS YAK-130 seems a good choice, but from what I read the version 2 is better as it has sturdier landing gear, and since my clubs field is well maintained short cut grass, a good quality retract and landing gear system is very important.
    Unfortunately, the only FMS product I own was a QC nightmare and I am hesitant to purchase FMS ever again (see my B-25 Mitchell post for details), as are a few of my online friends who owned that same aircraft.
    However, the FMS YAK-130 V2 is only available from FMS, and to be honest with you, I am not impressed with their customer service...they pass the buck, whereas MotionRC and the other 3 I do business with have GREAT customer service.
    Whereas, even though I cannot get the FMS YAK-130 V2 from MotionRC, HH, AMAIN, or TWR, I can get the V1 from all of them...but the older version of the landing gear system is of great concern.
    Most Freewing EDF's seem a good choice, but as I mentioned I do not want any hand launched/belly landers; also, every video I have seen comparing the FW YAK-130 versus the FMS YAK-130 shows the FW YAK-130 to "wobble" down the runway and requires more distance to take off, whereas the FMS YAK-130 does not wobble and uses less distance on take off.

I have the same feelings about the FW and FMS Hawk EDF's as well.
    Also, I keep reading how slow and easy the FW A-10 64mm flys, but not sure if that would make a good first EDF.
    Folks here recommend the YAK's and the Hawks, but my concerns are as I stated above.

I really need all of your input on this, thanks.
    Last edited by chipset35; Sep 14, 2018, 10:52 AM. Reason: added paragraphs

Have you looked at this one? https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGLP&P=0

Comment

Get on a bigger horse and buy the Freewing F86 Sabre. It has swept wings, but it's not a delta wing. It glides and lands nicely and the stock setup is good for first time flyers. One of my favorite videos on YouTube is titled: "Freewing f86 modified to 90mm" by Buddy 1065. Beautiful landing and you can see how well she glides in to that landing. Might be worth considering. But, don't modify it to 90mm. Apparently, it doesn't do justice. I upgraded mine to the 80mm Inrunner1820kv and that is a step in the right direction...

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        The shock absorbing gear sure has me interested.
        Surprised that one reviewer said it bent.
        I recall someone in this forum stating to use JB Weld on all gear?
        Thanks rifleman, I might just order this asap!

Comment

How about a Freewing Avanti? I don't own one, but have seen several fly and would like to have one myself. Not sure it meets your "slower flying" criteria, but it seems super forgiving, and relatively easy to fly. The bright yellow paint scheme is sure easy to see, and I bet the new paint scheme would be great also.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
            How about a Freewing Avanti? I don't own one, but have seen several fly and would like to have one myself. Not sure it meets your "slower flying" criteria, but it seems super forgiving, and relatively easy to fly. The bright yellow paint scheme is sure easy to see, and I bet the new paint scheme would be great also.
            Scott
            They are out of stock.
            I ordered the
            FMS T-45 Goshawk 70mm EDF PNP rifleman suggested.
            Thanks rifleman!

Comment

Dont have any worries on the FMS Yak 130 it is a great plane.

My field is short very thick grass 1/2 flap takeoffs no problem.

I have 3 of them and have had not 1 failed FMS part.

lost 1 to a reciever

I had the FW yak it was ok but FMS I like better,although the FW seems to be a touch lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post

They are out of stock.
                I ordered the
                FMS T-45 Goshawk 70mm EDF PNP rifleman suggested.
                Thanks rifleman!
                I think that's a great choice. Hard to go wrong with an FMS. I just pulled the trigger on a Freewing BAE Hawk. I said it was on my short list. LOL

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
                  Dont have any worries on the FMS Yak 130 it is a great plane.

My field is short very thick grass 1/2 flap takeoffs no problem.

I have 3 of them and have had not 1 failed FMS part.

lost 1 to a reciever

I had the FW yak it was ok but FMS I like better,although the FW seems to be a touch lighter.
                  Thanks, that FMS YAK-130 might be next one after the FMS T-45.
                  Despite my nightmare with the B-25, it is still hard to not like FMS.
                  :)

Comment

Awesome! I think you will be happy with it, also note the only reason he didn't like it in the review is the same reason it would be a good starter for you. It topped out at 70mph. That is plenty fast for a starter edf. Plus, its a dang good looking plane!:Cool:

Comment

Faster is easy with most foam EDFs.

Do some calcs of intake area vs Fan swept area vs outlet. Adjust inlet and outlet appropriately.

Changing to Castle ESCs and getting the firmware up to date (new old stock on the shelf may not be updated) can give significant improvement in efficiency and power in some cases.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I love my fms yak 130 v1. It is my first edf after coming from the Eflite Razorback 1.2 as well. It will fly both fast or slow and is very very stable. Sounds fantastic too! I fly off a soccer field and it’s got heaps of grunt. Buy it. Youll love it.....nuff said

Comment

Apologies.....I just saw that you already ordered the goshawk, I’m sure you’ll love that too. Great plane. Have fun....and prepare your wallet for more edf’s in the future;)

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlemankurt View Post
                            Apologies.....I just saw that you already ordered the goshawk, I’m sure you’ll love that too. Great plane. Have fun....and prepare your wallet for more edf’s in the future;)
                            The FMS YAK-130 will be my 2nd EDF.
                            ;)

Comment

Thanks, that FMS YAK-130 might be next one after the FMS T-45.
                              Despite my nightmare with the B-25, it is still hard to not like FMS.
                              :)
                              The B-25 wasn't that bad, We did get you typed thru it. :):)
                              AMA 424553

Comment

Yes indeed, please give us a report on the hawk when it comes in :)

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post

The B-25 wasn't that bad, We did get you typed thru it. :):)
                                  You guys sure did, but then I found where the factory over torqued the screws that go into the plastic frame that is part of the retract system, which cracked two of the plastic threads, causing the gear to only be 50% attached.
                                  AMAIN made good on sending me new, the entire retract/gear , but I still had to remove the old damage one, and that was a nightmare.
                                  Impossible to remove without breaking it and causing some damage to the nacelle foam.
                                  Also, because some of the wires from the wings are too short those connections are an accident waiting to happen and also a pain to try and connected securely.
                                  I ordered extension wires and cables to mitigate that.

Comment

, causing the gear to only be 50% attached.

You need to glue them in real good just around the retract, the rest of it won't hold it in, many unwanted gear removals before I just glued the sh!t out of them.
                                    AMA 424553

Comment

If you read my other posts I have been flying the E-Flite F4F WildCat and E-Flite P47D Razorback 1.2m.
                                      I would like to move on to EDF's, but do not want a hand launched belly lander.

*Tried the FW F-86 64mm and did not like it at all, which is a hand launched belly lander.
                                      I could not get it airborne for a variety of reasons that I will not waste your time rehashing here, but if you are interested just check my other posts for the reasons.

Prefer slower flying EDF's than fast ones, as well as ones that are any colors other than gray or silver as I think gray will be too difficult to see and/or make out it's orientation, and my current Razorback is silver.

My impression from reading this forum and others as well as reviews, leads me to believe I should stick with buying the new E-Flite Viper that is being released, but it's already out of stock, on back order, etc etc and who knows when it will become available again as HH keeps moving the dates.

The FMS YAK-130 seems a good choice, but from what I read the version 2 is better as it has sturdier landing gear, and since my clubs field is well maintained short cut grass, a good quality retract and landing gear system is very important.
                                      Unfortunately, the only FMS product I own was a QC nightmare and I am hesitant to purchase FMS ever again (see my B-25 Mitchell post for details), as are a few of my online friends who owned that same aircraft.
                                      However, the FMS YAK-130 V2 is only available from FMS, and to be honest with you, I am not impressed with their customer service...they pass the buck, whereas MotionRC and the other 3 I do business with have GREAT customer service.
                                      Whereas, even though I cannot get the FMS YAK-130 V2 from MotionRC, HH, AMAIN, or TWR, I can get the V1 from all of them...but the older version of the landing gear system is of great concern.
                                      Most Freewing EDF's seem a good choice, but as I mentioned I do not want any hand launched/belly landers; also, every video I have seen comparing the FW YAK-130 versus the FMS YAK-130 shows the FW YAK-130 to "wobble" down the runway and requires more distance to take off, whereas the FMS YAK-130 does not wobble and uses less distance on take off.

I have the same feelings about the FW and FMS Hawk EDF's as well.
                                      Also, I keep reading how slow and easy the FW A-10 64mm flys, but not sure if that would make a good first EDF.
                                      Folks here recommend the YAK's and the Hawks, but my concerns are as I stated above.

I really need all of your input on this, thanks.
                                      I would say the Habu 2 but its been discontinued. The next best option would be Freewing's Rebel 70 would be another good recommendation. Both have great reputations as trainer jets, practically the same body.

Freewing Rebel V2 70mm EDF Sport Jet - Receiver Ready (PNP) - FJ20521P The Freewing Rebel V2 is a heavily upgraded version of the original Freewing Rebel, also known as the Freewing Cobra. This new version boasts a long list of upgrades including electronic retractable landing gear, 2850Kv motor, 12-blade ducted fan, 6

Comment

Working...
                                      X