X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF's at 7000+ Ft.

I have bought many EDF's and most of them seem to be very under powered. After reading all the good reviews, I can only assume the reviewers are flying at lower altitudes, not 7000+ Ft. I guess the thin air starves them of power. I suppose the only answer is to upgrade the power or drive to Texas to fly them. Any input is appreciated. Doc

Yeah, that altitude is a killer. Not sure how much extra power would help, but i do know how much altitude kills the useable traction for the fan to grab. The electric motor still has all the power, but the blades are just slipping like street tires in soft sand.
    only thing i can think of is less blades with higher pitch?

Comment

I fly at 3500' and off a rough, grass field. I have to look at the power system very carefully whenever I plan to buy a new EDF. Whenever possible, I try to buy what they call the "high speed" versions of the same plane. These come with inrunner fan/motor and seem to provide a bit more grunt. However, I am still amazed at just how powerful my FW A-10 and Avanti S is at my altitude. Mind you, those do not use the ultra high blade count fans. I have the A-10 fan ready to drop into the L-39 when it gets here. I'm also considering the F-14 in the spring and will likely put in the A-10 units if I get the plane. Altitude is a real buzz kill.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Doc

Comment

Working...
        X