X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,
    im tom and i have a rage supercub 750 rtf and i'm waiting for a good battery charger. Looking for any tips available. brand new to rc
    tom

I would get a good simulator, and get use to the idea of orientation when the plane is flying back to you. Second if you have access to a club, go there and ask for a training flight by their club training person. That will give you an idea hands on what goes on with the plane with the added safety of a second pair of hands to help if you run into trouble via buddy box flying. For a charger, check into this or any thing with a minimum of 100W per channel in my opinion, as it will take care of many packs you will be using as you grow in the hobby. Also when landing that is the biggest thing to get ahold of as you dont want to make them too slow. A stall will make the plane land faster than you want.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
      I would get a good simulator, and get use to the idea of orientation when the plane is flying back to you. Second if you have access to a club, go there and ask for a training flight by their club training person. That will give you an idea hands on what goes on with the plane with the added safety of a second pair of hands to help if you run into trouble via buddy box flying. For a charger, check into this or any thing with a minimum of 100W per channel in my opinion, as it will take care of many packs you will be using as you grow in the hobby. Also when landing that is the biggest thing to get ahold of as you dont want to make them too slow. A stall will make the plane land faster than you want.
      Whoa there Tex! Don't go saddling him with stuff he doesn't need yet. Yes, get a flight sim. I learned using the Real Flight, but it's kind of pricey since they no longer make the basic model. Find a club, but you might have problems "buddyboxing" your model since it appears to use a proprietary transmitter. Though truth be told, IF you want to get into the hobby, I suggest you first return what you got (if possible) and purchase a more standardized plane that won't be grounded by anything more than a light breeze. This is coming from someone who had some expensive false starts. If you do choose this route, I recommend the linked aircraft, since it's a smaller and less expensive version of what I learned on.
      48" Wingspan Mini Apprentice S with SAFE - Ready to Fly (RTF) - HBZ3100

Comment

Originally posted by clrwatrtom View Post
        Hello all, I'm Tom [and I am] brand new to RC. Tom
        Tom, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. No advice except to say keep asking questions. There are no wrong questions and the answers here are free, though you might get what you paid for... LOL
        I built aTop Flite Headmaster Sport .40cc when I got started in 1981. Built the kit, then bought an OS .40 FSR ABC motor and finally saved enough for a Futaba 6 channel radio. My point is to go slow if you're doing this on your own and do accept help with the first few flights especially the first check flight. Let someone who is a seasoned flyer trim the aircraft for you then assist you in learning to fly. I say this as a guy who cartwheeled his trainer 2 feet off the runway and spent the next couple weeks rebuilding. Best to you in this adventure. You'll never regret your decision. LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Yeah i was thinking the club would have a trainer plane for people to get a feel for flying. That how i seen them in the couple of clubs i visited or was part of in Virginia. Im sure it isnt the same all over, but my thinking was due to my personal experiences.

Comment

RFM, That's how I learned, too, after I dinked the Headmaster 'by myself'. I remember thinking, "If I can fly 1:1 then I can fly this!" Yeah right. Not true. Those were the days, poor, dumb, bullet-proof and arrogant; an accident waiting to happen. Best to you always my friend, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
              RFM, That's how I learned, too, after I dinked the Headmaster 'by myself'. I remember thinking, "If I can fly 1:1 then I can fly this!" Yeah right. Not true. Those were the days, poor, dumb, bullet-proof and arrogant; an accident waiting to happen. Best to you always my friend, LB
              Maybe if they had FPV then, it might have been different, being a regular plane pilot. BTW is Witchta still the aircraft industry version of what Detroit used to be of cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                Maybe if they had FPV then, it might have been different, being a regular plane pilot. BTW is Witchta still the aircraft industry version of what Detroit used to be of cars?
                VP, LOL...We would like to think so, though not "Aircraft Capital of the World" as we're certainly not the force we once were. Spirit AeroSystems still build big parts for Boeing airliners and Textron/Cessna bought Beechcraft who had purchased Hawker so there are still aircraft being built here. Not certain about what's up with Bombardier or Lear Jet. Our workforce for manufacturing suffered under the 8 Post-Bush II years. Things are looking up with many new orders, those take a year or so to hit the economy. So no, we're not the Air Capital but we're working on it. True that with regard to FPV, that was Science Fiction in the '80's. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

VP, LOL...We would like to think so, though not "Aircraft Capital of the World" as we're certainly not the force we once were. Spirit AeroSystems still build big parts for Boeing airliners and Textron/Cessna bought Beechcraft who had purchased Hawker so there are still aircraft being built here. Not certain about what's up with Bombardier or Lear Jet. Our workforce for manufacturing suffered under the 8 Post-Bush II years. Things are looking up with many new orders, those take a year or so to hit the economy. So no, we're not the Air Capital but we're working on it. True that with regard to FPV, that was Science Fiction in the '80's. Best, LB
                  Actually FPV wasn't science fiction, it's just that only the government could afford it. As a matter of fact, the first instance of FPV that I know of was the WWII drone bomber program that killed Joe Kennedy Jr..

Comment

Limiting factor of FPV in the 80's was weight. Video cameras and the transmitters needed were heavy, making it impractical for RC modelers to try it. (ignoring the cost)
                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Enough digression. Any more questions Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                        Enough digression. Any more questions Tom?
                        no digression, and thanks to ALL who responded. no more just yet.but that should change after my first flight or crash, whichever comes first.

Comment

still looking for my charger. i got a micro helicopter and an xk x520 vtol. charger should b here tomorrow, at least a week on the new stuff .:)

Comment

The XK520 is lots of fun! James is editing video from last week's flying at Joe Nall. Be sure you have lots of space to fly it, and don't let it get too far. Hovering inputs are different from forward flight inputs, so prepare to flip a switch in your brain.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Got a gen3 dx6 and my charger. I also got a umx timber micro. the cub lost its esc before i ever flew it, so i have a new spektrum reciever and eflite 3600kv bl180 motor. i hope to build it this week when the parts get here. the timber is ready to fly but im not lol! none of the previous stuff i wrote about seem to have left china yet. Or should i say "gina" hail the Chief.

Comment

Working...
                              X