• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just how much dihedral can a low winged prop sport plane be given

Click image for larger version

Name:	supersportster.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	159270I had shortened or clipped the wings on my 48" electric super sport, about 2 " off each end and after the first flight I could see it need more dihedral and I gave it more about 1/2" on each end of the wing . it flies so much better , but what I was wondering is there a limitation on adding any dihedral on a low winged airplane such s mine? could I have added say 1.5 " on each end of the wing tip?

I think you can add as much dihedral to the wingtips as you like. Eventually, they become "winglets" like on today's jet airliners. As the dihedral increases (until they become winglets), there are trade offs in terms of speed and agility. Take a look at the "Nutball" and "Magnum" or even high lift, long flight duration sailplanes. I don't remember the name but a friend has a kit built plane where the whole wing is canted up about 45 degrees. Then there are planes that have straight wings and no wingtip bits that are bent upwards. Those are primarily on planes that are fast and extremely agile. They have roll rates that would duplicate a drill. Take a look at "dogfighters" or planes like the EFXtra from HobbyKing and the Strix Goblin. They roll like tops spin. Flying "better" just means you don't need quite as much attention to keeping it straight and level. Those who fly racing type planes don't want any kind of dihedral to interfere with the plane's high performance.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      I think you can add as much dihedral to the wingtips as you like. Eventually, they become "winglets" like on today's jet airliners. As the dihedral increases (until they become winglets), there are trade offs in terms of speed and agility. Take a look at the "Nutball" and "Magnum" or even high lift, long flight duration sailplanes. I don't remember the name but a friend has a kit built plane where the whole wing is canted up about 45 degrees. Then there are planes that have straight wings and no wingtip bits that are bent upwards. Those are primarily on planes that are fast and extremely agile. They have roll rates that would duplicate a drill. Take a look at "dogfighters" or planes like the EFXtra from HobbyKing and the Strix Goblin. They roll like tops spin. Flying "better" just means you don't need quite as much attention to keeping it straight and level. Those who fly racing type planes don't want any kind of dihedral to interfere with the plane's high performance.
      THANKS U ANSWERED MY QUESTION

Comment

Working...
      X