X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumbled onto bargain stash

I stopped in at the local hobby shop tonight to pick up some hinge points, and one of the guys there had a box and bag of stuff from a hobbyist that had passed away. He wanted $20 for the lot.

The stash included a DSM2 6 channel receiver still sealed in the original box, three micro servos (two still in the original boxes), several larger servos, an old 72 Mhz band 4 channel transmitter (in case someone wants to kick it old school), three brushless motors, an old analog Tower Hobbies voltmeter, several motor mounts, a couple of pounds of lead shot, a prop balancer (minus the prop shaft itself), an incidence gauge, a smoke unit for a gas model, bags of miscellaneous hardware, and several old batteries (which, I'm guessing, are probably not any good).

Tomorrow's Holiday Lunch at the Flying Club will include a raffle and flea market/swap session. I might take a few of the items and see if anyone is interested. The Spektrum Receiver would be cool to use for upgrading one of the old park flyers, but it would be cheaper to buy a receiver that is compatible with the Tx I already have, than buying a new Spektrum Tx to go with the receiver.

Nice grab! Especially for just $20!:Cool:

Comment

Yeah, while it's an older model Spektrum receiver, it's still compatible with the current generation of transmitters, and it's one of the micro dual-receivers that retailed for around $90 before it was discontinued in favor of the newer DSMx series. I might be able to get $20 for it alone.

Surprisingly, the batteries are not puffy, and attaching the voltage checker, they're all pretty well balanced. I suspect they were put at the proper level for storage. There's something like four 3S 3200mAH, a 3S 1600mAH, and a 2S from Electrifly, and two 4S batteries from another company. The 1600 might be good for the Calypso, particularly since it's not a heavy-draw plane - usually like 15 to 20 seconds of climb, followed by several minutes or more of gliding, depending on lift conditions. I'm still just a bit leery of trusting old batteries, even if the 3200's would be a good fit for the Cherokee.

Comment

I passed along the 'good fortune' to a couple of guys in the RC club today, and sold the Spektrum receiver and the large brushless motor for $10 each, thereby recovering what I'd spent on the lot. Yeah, I probably let them go for way too cheap, but I got them for even cheaper, and helped out a couple of fellow SAGE members.

Looking online, the two motors that I kept are both AXi. One is model 2212/20, that I found available online for about $80, and the other is model 2820/12, that is available for about $95. The two micro servos still in their boxes are Hitec model HS-65HB, available online for about $22 each.

Yeah, I think I got a good deal.

Comment

Great grab man! Will you find a home for the motors or sell them and put the money toward something else?

Comment

Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post
            Great grab man! Will you find a home for the motors or sell them and put the money toward something else?
            I haven't decided yet. I do have a project in mind for the servos, as I won a pair of wings at the club raffle last weekend, so I'm planning on putting together a V-tail glider, but the smaller of the two motors is still a bit too large for a powered glider with those wings. Besides which, I think I'd be better trying my hand at an unpowered glider before adding such design factors as thrust line, prop size, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X