You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best or easiest way to repair this hinge?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best or easiest way to repair this hinge?

Here's a video of the issue I'm having with the hinge. I'm new-ish to the hobby for the 2nd time. I've never encounter this or had to deal with anything like this. I rather not have to take off the aileron because I would just open my self up to make it worst I feel like, due to my lack of experience.

I did take a xacto knife and slide it under between the hinge and foam. Got some foam tac with one of the small nozzle attachments that goes on CA bottle. Slide the small nozzle in to the wing and squeezed. Did this for both sides. The small Foam tac squeeze tubes are awesome!!

I hope this fixes it. Any other ideas or how would you go about doing it? Reason for concern is the hinge could fail and that is the point where the aileron is pulled/pushed.

I know it's hard to see but the aileron has a bow in it. The control horn side bends downs more. May not be nothing concerning but I haven't flew one of these yet or have the experince to know how this will effect the plane in flight.
    This is the side with the hinge I'm trying to fix.

The good side (Planes right side)

Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

I hate when this crap happens too! Seems to happen to me mostly on Eflight planes. But my work area in my garage is a bit tight. I've backed my chair into a control surface and broke it on several occasions. Ya got to just buck up man. Remove the surface, clean it up a bit, re-install it & re glue the hinges. Or install new hinges, YOU CAN DO IT! I'm old school, I use 5 min epoxy for almost everything.

I just had to do this to my Freewing F-8. My wife got this one, really wanted to get mad, but it was wifey. : )

Good luck
    Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
      I hate when this crap happens too! Seems to happen to me mostly on Eflight planes. But my work area in my garage is a bit tight. I've backed my chair into a control surface and broke it on several occasions. Ya got to just buck up man. Remove the surface, clean it up a bit, re-install it & re glue the hinges. Or install new hinges, YOU CAN DO IT! I'm old school, I use 5 min epoxy for almost everything.

I just had to do this to my Freewing F-8. My wife got this one, really wanted to get mad, but it was wifey. : )

Good luck
      Woody
      how do you go a bout getting the hinge out?
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

it's not easy. Is it only one hinge, is the other one Okay?

Woody

Comment

it's not easy. Is it only one hinge, is the other one Okay?

Woody
          There are three hinges for this aileron. The others are ok.
          Planes

Comment

I think you had the right idea, but the wrong glue. Foam tack never really gets hard. I would use a foam safe CA with the thin tip you described with the foam tack. You need something that drys hard. Problem with CA is if you get it in the hinge you will most certainly have to change the hinge. So when you do it. make sure to stand the plane on it's nose, and inject into the LOOSE AREA ONLY.

Removing the hinges will be ugly, but the best way I've found is to simply take a small pair of side cutters and cut the hinges. This will allow you to remove the control surface with minimum damage. Then you can use some sort of pliers to work the hinge remnants out of the wing. Doing this you will have to replace all 3 hinges.

But if you can get that glue in there without messing up the moving part of the hinge, it should set up nicely. I would try that first.

Woody

Comment

I think you had the right idea, but the wrong glue. Foam tack never really gets hard. I would use a foam safe CA with the thin tip you described with the foam tack. You need something that drys hard. Problem with CA is if you get it in the hinge you will most certainly have to change the hinge. So when you do it. make sure to stand the plane on it's nose, and inject into the LOOSE AREA ONLY.

Removing the hinges will be ugly, but the best way I've found is to simply take a small pair of side cutters and cut the hinges. This will allow you to remove the control surface with minimum damage. Then you can use some sort of pliers to work the hinge remnants out of the wing. Doing this you will have to replace all 3 hinges.

But if you can get that glue in there without messing up the moving part of the hinge, it should set up nicely. I would try that first.

Woody
              Thanks, reason for Foam-Tack was because it's advertise more of a cement. Foam on Foam it's strong. This is plastic on foam. CA is brittle to? I have some thick. If Foamtac doesn't hold then I could get some CA thin and re-open the bock and see hope the thin can fill up what voids, if any.
              Planes

Comment

Foam-Tac will hold it, works great on wood as well.
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Ya know GRB, I use the Foam Tac on the control hinges on all my new birds during assembly. I have a case of the stuff. I too think it will hold, but in this application it may not ever feel rock solid. Always a little flexy.

Woody

Comment

Ended up getting the hinge out, with the help of George was able to get a plan to put it back in. There was glue from the factory in the hinge pivot area. The small tubes of foam tac with the small attachment nozzles were great for doing this delicate work.

Now we wait.
                    Planes

Comment

Always a little flexy.

Woody
                      That's why it holds up so well ;)

TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                      X