You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as too many planes?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as too many planes?

I've seen threads like this a lot before on other websites and I'd like to start one of my own. I feel like I'm going crazy with the number of planes I want..a year and a half ago I planned on only having ultra micros because they were small and cheap and fun. But of course that plan changed. I only have 8 planes right now but I have about 20 more that I would like someday bookmarked on my computer. Just a couple months ago there were only around 10 more that I wanted but my list keeps getting bigger and bigger. Even though I feel like 30 planes is more than enough I'll probably end up getting more anyway lol. If there's anyone else like me please post how many you have so I don't feel as crazy...lol

If anyone's interested here's my list:
    Planes I currently have: Hobbyzone Champ, micro t-28, umx pitts, airwing wingsurfer, eflite p-51d mustang, freewing f-22 raptor and stinger 64

Planes I want someday:
    Freewing Stinger 90
    Eflite Night Visionaire
    Parkzone UMX Icon A5
    Flyzone Aircore P-51 Mustang
    Flyzone Aircore Spitfire
    FMS Sky Trainer 182 V2
    Parkzone UM P-51D Mustang
    Eflite UMX P-47
    Eflite UMX P3 Revolution
    Eflite UMX Beast
    Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54 3X
    Eflite Ultimate 2
    FMS Pitts
    Dynam F4U Corsair
    Dynam Hawker Hurricane
    Parkzone T-28 Trojan
    Eflite P-47D Thunderbolt
    Flyzone A6M2 Zero
    Freewing F-86 Sabre
    Freewing F-16C Thunderbird

I'm sure I'll be adding more to this list sooner or later! Lol.

RE: Is there such a thing as too many planes?

Well, I have found that eventually you become overwhelmed with TOO many planes. You get up in the morning and stand there and spend an hour trying to decide what plane(s) to fly that day. And maybe it's me, but each plane is unique in its flight characteristics so you really lose some of your edge if you don't fly a particular model a lot. You will eventually gravitate to several planes you REALLY like anyway.
    That being said, your original question....I have one ultimate deciding factor when enough is enough.....my loving spouse! I get the "look" and I know it's time to cool it. For a while!

Keith
    Addicted to planes!

Comment

RetiredFlyer is correct. All the planes have a unique feel in the air, and some are more fun than others. The problem with too many planes comes when your house starts to look like an airplane hanger in every spare room and corner, and you buy radios with 250 model memories to try to consolidate planes into one or two radios. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had the right radio for a certain plane, and get to the field only to find that I left the correct radio at home. The other problem with too many planes is that you stop buying or building new ones since you wonder where you will put it once it is finished! I have gotten to where I am ranking my favorites to fly, and starting to combine those that I want to sell at the next club swap meet so that I can make room for new ones!

Yes, it is an addiction, but better than some that you could have!! :D

Comment

Being a semi new to the hobby I have 2 planes and only one is built to fly. I have a boat load of fun with the FMS 1280. I have a tactic 850 and I'm thinking about seeing if I can do flaperons and/or spoilers into the mix and see how it reacts. It has some "battle scars" but still flies. The other plane in a box is a seagull Yak 52 that I won and will be a winter project.

I'm on the hunt for a next step plane from the 1280. Maybe a Flyzone Beaver. I do have a small list of planes that I would like, mostly 1920-40 racers. I love the lines on those planes. What I would like..

Ryan STA 44"
        Radial Rocket
        Curtiss P-6E
        Off with one helluva roar!
        AMA 1085465

Comment

The biggest problem with all these models is where does one store them all unless you have an enormous house, garage, or hangar. Over the years you can accumulate quite a few models and as several people have already stated they all have different flying and handling characteristics.

Before I emigrated to the US, I had over 100 R/C model aircraft of various sizes, and enjoyed flying most of them.

Before anyone asks, no I didn't bring them with me when I cam here, although I have brought 10 with me. In answer to the question, can you have too many models. I don't know.

However I do know I won't be able to build and fly all the aircraft I would like to in my life time.

Martin.

Comment

It's great having many planes to choose from.
            Some do better in higher winds than others. Some are easier to see or have lights which makes flying in near darkness possible.
            Some go fast, some go slow, some need conditions to be just right, others don't care.
            Some transport better as well.
            You know how when you bring that one to the field there are only certain ones that you can transport with it.
            When the big Carbon Z t28 comes I'm forced to bring smaller 3s planes with it.

Too many is a good problem to have if you ask me. It's fun when something rekindles your interest in one that's been gathering dust. Then you go fly it and it's like oh yeah, I remember this one, it's awesome!
            Ryan

Comment

ABSOLUTELY AGREE Ryan and couldn't have expressed it any better.
              It must be we all drank from the same Kool Aid bucket somewhere early on into the venture!!!!
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I used to feel guilty for wanting so many. I would try to be happy with what I have and only stick with the main few that I want and not buy so many I don't need. I mean I am happy with what I have but there are so many more I want! If I only stuck with a few I would be constantly wanting to buy more. So I think I'll just accept the fact that I have an addiction and be happy with having a ton of planes lol.

Comment

I'm sure there is a limit I think that number would be different for everyone depending on different factors. I just haven't reached that number yet thank God!

Comment

Greetings Jordan,

I'd be more than happy to eliviate your concern and list all of the planes I have but, I'm not sure how much server space the MRC forum computer(s) have left and I'd hate to crash the system!!!  :D :D :D

I will say that judging from your list you have a waaays to go before you need to become concerned.
                    If you complete your "want" list you'll still end up a few short :) :) :) :) by general standards .

Just enjoy the ride......

Bill L.
                    In Okla.

Comment

[quote=Rocketeer]
                      Greetings Jordan,

I'd be more than happy to eliviate your concern and list all of the planes I have but, I'm not sure how much server space the MRC forum computer(s) have left and I'd hate to crash the system!!!  :D :D :D

I will say that judging from your list you have a waaays to go before you need to become concerned.
                      If you complete your "want" list you'll still end up a few short :) :) :) :) by general standards .

It's only been a few days since I started this thread and I've already added 3 more jets from freewing to my want list..lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jordan1387
                        Originally posted by Rocketeer
                        Greetings Jordan,

It's only been a few days since I started this thread and I've already added 3 more jets from freewing to my want list..lol.
                        Well, I added 2 more to my air force and planning to order the new Mustang by Horizon and perhaps a Yak jet.  I think I am around 50 or so now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
                          Originally posted by jordan1387
                          Originally posted by Rocketeer
                          Greetings Jordan,

Well, I added 2 more to my air force and planning to order the new Mustang by Horizon and perhaps a Yak jet.  I think I am around 50 or so now.

I'll probably end up at 50 if I keep this up even though I think 30 is more than enough!

Comment

I have 52 and counting, as they get larger. I must say that I am much more selective than I used to be. I put 2 1/2" finishing nails in the wall and hang them by the tail wheel. Works great! I also hang them from the ceiling (12 ft.). Each one is numbered and the nylon cords run over to and down the wall where it is tied off. I use a hangmans noose around the props. I have a 6 ft. w.s. Grumman Widgeon still in the box. I have no idea where that thing will go when finished! Doc

Comment

I still have 2 in the box (T-45 and SBD). I made a rack in my garage and hung many on the wall and on the shelves that were put in when we purchased the house. I have planes all over the place :).

Comment

There should be an RC planes anonymous! I can't help myself! They say knowing you have a problem is half the battle. What about the other half?! Is it so wrong to spend your whole life loving airplanes? Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
                                  There should be an RC planes anonymous! I can't help myself! They say knowing you have a problem is half the battle. What about the other half?! Is it wrong to spend your whole life loving airplanes? Doc
                                  Exactly, I can't help myself either! As long as you can afford it I don't see anything wrong with it. I spend a lot of time and money on this hobby, but it's better than other things we could be doing! I tell my mom it's not like I'm out partying or buying drugs or stuff like that. All we're doing is flying airplanes!

Comment

Hi Jordan
                                    You can never have too many planes! I'm usually looking for the next one before the one I ordered even arrives.

Best hobby I've ever had

Comment

My progression of thoughts in the hobby.
                                      2011: I just like these park zone planes. The pz gunfighter mustang is the fastest plane i will ever want.
                                      2011, later in the summer: Ok, so I got my CG checked on this world models corsair. Can you show me how to tune the engine?
                                      2012: I will never have so many planes and so big that I cant just put them all in the back of my truck (important quote here)
                                      2012: Acquire my first .60 size nitro, top-flite P-47 ARF. I have to take the wings off to put it in the back of my truck.
                                      2013: Starmax P-51, huge foamie. Junk. Later FMS Hellcat 55 inch, good flying plane, just weak retracts.
                                      2015: lets just fast forward to this. I now have a dedicated 10x6 trailer to pull behind my truck with my airplanes stowed in it. I am still at the 60 size, but I was up to 30cc for short while. Honestly I think I will end up next summer with a 50 cc size warbird and that will be the end of it. Really. Seriously. Yep, 50cc then no more. That is it. Yep. Sure is. uhhuh

Comment

I started out with a Flyzone Piper mini 3 channel just to play around in the yard with . Holy crap I'm hooked !!! I'm at 15 I think. My pool table is full , my room , even on our guest bed . The only way to have too many is when your wife says so !

Then I show her how nice a plane looks and she's says ok .........

Rktr still waiting for my house sitting invite while your out of town  :D

Bryan 
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Working...
                                        X