X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something a little bit different.

So, you like EDFs, do ya? This just caught my eye ..............................

FV-31 CYPHER VTOL EDF

Click image for larger version  Name:	FPM3870-3T.jpg?1551935844.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	192721

I love VTOLs and this is an interesting concept. Flex Innovations makes very interesting and well built planes (although a little on the pricey side). I bought the FlexJet, which for me, turned out to be an OK plane but I got bored with it very quickly when Freewing/Flightline started to come out with way more exciting jets. Perhaps this one will hold my attention a bit longer.

Those guys make it look to easy.

Comment

They certainly do. When I get mine closer to summer release, I'll let you know how badly I fly it. :Crying:

Comment

Me at florida Jets in March. Very nicely done, but too much money. I think the pre order was 430ish, with the after pre order at 460ish.

Comment

Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
          Me at florida Jets in March. Very nicely done, but too much money. I think the pre order was 430ish, with the after pre order at 460ish.
          I think all Flex products are too much money but then, ya only live once.

Comment

The thread over at RCG has gone dead already. It seems interested in this pricey model has dropped quickly and didn't survive the initial marketing hype. Both of my inquiries to the Canadian distributor and to Flex Innovations directly has gone unanswered after almost a week. This is the same customer neglect that I witnessed when the FlexJet first came out. Generally, interest in these "specialty" items drop very quickly with hobbyists and sellers can't sit back and ignore a potential sale. How do they hope to sell product when they don't help potential customers to buy? I may pass this one by. :Yawn:

Comment

I watched the Flex team fly them all week at SEFF. They were all there so maybe that's why no immediate answer. The Cypher flies great and does some amazing maneuvers. I believe they said it will be out in mid June. It's way better than the E-flite Convergence and bigger. I will be getting one when it comes out just because it's different. I will say that when it transitions from a hover to forward flight there is no lag as in others of it's type.

Comment

I too will be passing on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                  I watched the Flex team fly them all week at SEFF. They were all there so maybe that's why no immediate answer. The Cypher flies great and does some amazing maneuvers. I believe they said it will be out in mid June. It's way better than the E-flite Convergence and bigger. I will be getting one when it comes out just because it's different. I will say that when it transitions from a hover to forward flight there is no lag as in others of it's type.
                  I have the Convergence, Mini Convergence and 2 V-22 Ospreys. I've got them all tuned to fly very well. My interest in the Cypher is/was because it's "different". As for them not answering, I can't see ALL of them being at SEFF and certainly not all of the Canadian shop. They run businesses. Someone should be at home looking after the store. I can't see them closing shop just because there's a show or convention somewhere.

Comment

Well, someone finally replied to me from Flex Innovations. He apologized for being so tardy. He didn't want to give me shipping information until he spoke with his bosses, who were away. I'm not sure why it was necessary to talk to the "big boys" before telling me what carrier they use and a guess as to how much it would cost, but what do I know? I told him that in those few days, I've lost interest in this plane and I'd have to wait and see what real world owners have to say about it. (Hobby money is quickly re-allocated elsewhere with me. If you want it, it's best to come get it quickly.) He immediately emailed me back to tell me what a great plane this is and what cool things it can do and to encourage me to put an order in. He indicated there are 26 pre-orders on the books at this time, not that it would help me make up my mind not matter what the number was.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      Well, someone finally replied to me from Flex Innovations. He apologized for being so tardy. He didn't want to give me shipping information until he spoke with his bosses, who were away. I'm not sure why it was necessary to talk to the "big boys" before telling me what carrier they use and a guess as to how much it would cost, but what do I know? I told him that in those few days, I've lost interest in this plane and I'd have to wait and see what real world owners have to say about it. (Hobby money is quickly re-allocated elsewhere with me. If you want it, it's best to come get it quickly.) He immediately emailed me back to tell me what a great plane this is and what cool things it can do and to encourage me to put an order in. He indicated there are 26 pre-orders on the books at this time, not that it would help me make up my mind not matter what the number was.
                      Basic sales 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewreck View Post
                        Basic sales 101.
                        Kinda like car salesmen!!?? Anyway, he didn't get the sale for me, at least not until privateers post their impressions and reviews. The RCG thread is still dead. People just suddenly stopped posting. Unlike many of the planes offered by Motion and posted about here, interest in the Cypher seems to have died at the forum level.

Comment

Only 26 orders huh ? What does that tell ya.....

Comment

Yeah, if Motion had only 26 pre-orders on any of their new planes, I think it would be considered an appalling failure. I'll bet Motion gets 26 pre-orders in the first hour after it opens up.

Comment

I think they demonstrated that plane at the Arizona Electric Festival back in February, too. I thought it was cool, but I don't think there will be one in my hangar at any time in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                                I think they demonstrated that plane at the Arizona Electric Festival back in February, too. I thought it was cool, but I don't think there will be one in my hangar at any time in the foreseeable future.
                                I hear that a fair bit. I think most people realize that the demos at events are performed by pilots who are experts with the plane and have a lot of stick time on them. It’s somewhat like when Horizon Hobby demo’d the Eflite Convergence in preparation for market release, they had only the most experienced pilots fly them. Then, when the first ones entered the market, many if not most owners crashed and burned. Four guys had them at our field and every one of us crashed. I was the only one to stick with it and figure out how to fly it. Same goes for the V-22 Osprey. Pete demo’d it in Banana Hobby”s promo vids and he made it look so cool and easy. Once again, that first batch of owners had a lot of mishaps with them. I’m still intrigued by this one, but I’m somewhat reserved.

Comment

After a one month delay in the projected shipping time frame, mine finally came about a week ago (and this was after another 2 week delay because the warehouse guy forgot to actually ship mine). I've had 3 flights on it and after getting a feel for it and manually adjusting the elevons to where they need to be, this plane actually flies really well and does what it was claimed to do, even in my hands. If only hovering, it draws a LOT of power. It eases up a bit when flying in airplane mode. With a 3000mah, 3s Graphene, I get only about 3min flight time with mixed hovering and plane flying. I'm going to get some bigger batteries. It should take a 4000mah.
                                  The hovering is much more stable than the Convergence or any of the V-22's I have. Transition to 45 degree is effortless and with no surprises and then to 90 degree airplane mode is equally easy, smooth and with no surprises. Transition back to hover is very smooth and with no drama, unlike the Convergence, which depending on the wind and other flight parameters, can result in a small "brain fart" which may take several seconds of hands off to resolve. If it can't resolve it, it's coming down.
                                  The Cypher is undoubtedly very unique and sounds quite remarkable in all flight modes. I wish it was a little faster but I guess that's not what it was designed for. After all the hype of the FlexJet and the real world disappointment, I wasn't expecting greatness from the Cypher. However, I am pleasantly surprised and I'm glad I fell off the fence and got one. You have to like VTOL's because it's not a spectacular "quad", nor is it a spectacular EDF.
                                  Here is my 3rd flight from this chilly morning. WARNING: don't click on it if you don't like hat cam videos.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Been flying this one every day I go to the field this past winter. Here's this morning's flight:

Comment

Working...
                                    X