X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing the thickness of the wood

I'm planning on building my first rc plane, a spitfire 36in wing span. I've got 25 years of model experience, woodworking, and mechanical background. I still in the research phase. My question at the moment is size/thickness of the wood for the fuselage, and wings. Any insight would be grateful! Thanks

I think with your experience and background, you would have a much better grasp on what is needed for this build. I'm virtually entirely foam RC planes myself, as are many of the people here although I'm sure a couple will come along with some useful information. The only balsa plane that I've built is a laser cut kit (Marsten Flying Pterodactyl 52"). Your 36" Spit will be smaller and the wood will likely be thinner. Having said this, the thickness of the wood will depend on which part the wood will construct. Thicker, harder balsa ply will be needed for support structures and motor mounts (wing spars and ribs, fuselage internal ribs), while very thin wood will be needed in those areas that you plan to cover. My Ptero was covered in Monocote but some underlying surfaces were covered with 1 to 2 mm balsa sheeting before the Monocote went on. I'm sure your local hobby shop will be able to give you some direction in this regard. Also, Google and YouTube may provide some insight as well.

Comment

Working...
    X