X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard to fly an f4 phantom or similar

just into jets.. my fav jet of all time ,is f4 phantom... can any one tell me , or compare , flying say a dynam me 262, to a f4 phantom , 90 mm..or is that to hi to jump next.. im sure i wont like the answer,, just thought id ask .... i fly the 262 well!!!

EDF by nature wants you to maintain speed and not make abrupt maneuvers. Its harder to do a tight turn and maintain speed. (requires much higher power) So do wider turns and bigger loops for best results with most EDF models than what you might try with a conventional prop model.

The Me262 is sort of a trainer EDF. High aspect ratio wings give it a slower roll rate. The wings are far closer to the traditional Hershey bar shape of an introductory trainer compared to the triangular shape of higher performance jets like the Phantom.

The low aspect ratio of the Phantom can result in amazingly fast roll rate and very sensitive ailerons. It will be like moving from a basic trainer to a high performance delta wing.

The Phantom's triangular wing can result in a stall that drops the tail. Traditionally called the "Sabre Dance" when you try powering out and don't have enough power available, the result is the plane keeps trying to drop a wing into a spin. You may not be able to recover just applying down elevator and power, you might have to accept 1/2 to 2 turns of spin.
    so take it HIGH and test stall characteristics. Get a feel for what the airplane looks like entering a stall and see if it can power out of it.
    Maintain speed on landing approach because you do not want to stall when close to the ground.
    If CG is too far back, the Phantom can never recover from a spin.

Dynam Me262's have been clocked above 100 mph straight stock out of the box. The Freewing 90mm Phantom is reported to go a bit above 110 mph on 8s (I haven't seen top speed reports on the 6S version) there shouldn't be a problem due to the difference in speed. Mainly watch out for the difference due to wing styles.

So watch out for sensitive ailerons and bad habits in a stall.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

ever reliable,, thanx.. better than ithought,, i think keep up th speed i expect;; longer take offs faster landings .. do luv the phantom ..i think its the droop elavator,, thanx again mr fluber

Comment

Working...
      X