Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The crashing stops when the trees stop moving. Every day, they get a little nearer. Then one day, you'll be innocently flying your plane exactly where you flew it yesterday and every day before that, and thwack a branch reaches out and grabs a wing. They are tricky, those trees

Comment

Many factors can lead to a "departure from controlled flight" The same conditions exist in an RC model as in a full scale aircraft. Pilot experience, weight and balance, flight controls and throws, mechanical condition of the aircraft ( Reliability, batteries, fuel load) Weather conditions, etc. If you treat your RC model as you would a full scale aircraft you will be one step closer to being successful. Getting started in this hobby correctly will lead to a lifetime of pleasure. There are two basic ways to learn, the first is spending time with a qualified instructor pilot ( often using a “buddy box”) and the second is learning on a RC flight simulator. You may noticed I mentioned a "qualified" instructor. Some pilots are very good, but dont have the patience to teach. The simulator will help you to sync your eyes and your thumbs together and allows someone to learn at their own pace in any kind of weather. I have seen someone who has spent many hours on the simulator purchase an aircraft ( generally an aircraft that is relatively slow and stable, not something fast!) and fly it successfully on their own. Setting up the aircraft properly will increase your success greatly. One of the most critical adjustment is center of gravity. This makes a huge difference in how any aircraft performs. The further back the CG the more unstable it becomes. Flying with a slightly forward CG will help to ensure the aircraft will not stall or snap when slowed down. The other is trim, you need to trim the aircraft for whatever flight configuration you are in. I see people fighting an unstable aircraft rather than trimming it. It should fly straight and level at half throttle. Do NOT fly if it is too windy, not only is it not fun, but you risk unstable flight and possible stalls. Adjust you control throws to match your skill level. Often an aircraft becomes unmanageable with high throws due to stalling a wing rather than controlled flight. Practice approaches just like the full scale aircraft that means a downwind, a base leg, and a final approach. Trim the aircraft for landing and keep the wings level. ( an aircraft rarely crashes with level wings ) adjust power for a stable descent to landing. Aircraft choices are important as well, while everyone wants to be a “top gun” you need to start with something like a Cub, or something with a “Safe Receiver” using a combination of the proper aircraft, the proper setup, and the proper assistance with help to ensure your flights are successful. Once you are comfortable with an aircraft of higher performance and speed you should only crash when you are practicing “over your head” maneuvers.

In the words of the world famous Bob hoover “fly the aircraft” this means into crash as well. If your radio is functioning any crash should be “controlled” and wings level minimizing damage. Remember “fly the aircraft”

Comment

A key component is reliability and redundancy. Buy good electronics, be wary of cheap off brand components including batteries, receivers, servos, etc. Sort of the like the old motorcycle saying "if you have a $50 head, but a $50 dollar helmet" For anything expensive I always use a Spektrum "powersafe" receiver with dual batteries. These have a soft switch that fails to the "ON" position. Switches are a common failure mode. I no longer use 4.8V components, at least 6V and higher. I've gone to gas engines as they are more reliable that glow. Just like electronics, GOOD engines are a must! Stick with the best brands. Do not fight cheap off brand garbage. I've seen many beautiful aircraft destroyed from using unreliable engines. There will be more

Comment

If you ain't crashin' you ain't flyin'.

I've been flying for over 25 years from micros to giant scale and I have both gone well over a year and hundreds of flights without a single crash to crashing several models within a small amount of time. They come in bunches for me. Lately it's been jets. I've crashed (for various reasons, some my fault, some not my fault) between 6-10 jets over the past 16 months. Ouch.

Sometimes it's just bad luck. Sometimes it's Dumb Thumbs, sometimes it's an electrical issue, or lack of thorough preflight check...On and on.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
          X