X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up a NEW Dynam plane - Please Pilot Ryan/Capt Mike

I have watched NUMEROUS videos by Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike and I would like to know if you use a suggested "baseline setup" for low and high rate throws that you can share?
    I know your EXCELLENT flying skills make ALL the planes in your videos look like "a piece of cake" to fly but I was also wondering if "some" of those EXCELLENT and EASY flying CHARACTERISTICS of ALL the planes in those videos can be attributed to the way you setup the servo throws or mixing, etc. I know every plane is unique in it's flying characteristics - warbirds vs trainers, etc and I was wondering if you setup warbirds for "X" servo throws and high wings for "Y" servo throws and/or mixing, Thank you

In most of their videos, they are setting up each model based on the recommended book throws and then adjusting from there.

For the most part (not always), for a maiden many like to use the manuals low rates as their high rates, just to make sure the aircraft isn't too aggressive in its movements.

But push come to shove each aircraft is different especially in a question like this where all aircraft are eligible. How can 1 use the same setup for a glider that they would for an edf jet and then for a warbird? It's not really feasible.

Do you have a specific aircraft you need help with?

Comment

Ryan also prefers a nose heavy maiden as well, not extreme mind you, and James is correct, he goes with the recommended throws.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

I set up Dynam models by "TLAR" (That Looks About Right)

Its close to 30 deg up/down aileron from center, Appx 30 deg up/down elevator from center, App 40 deg right/left rudder from center

If there are flaps, about 15 deg and 30 deg if on a 3 position switch or 10, 20, 35, 50 deg using 5 position flight modes. (DX-18)

I always put the retracts on the same switch, with the same positions for up and down.

I usually use 30% expo with dual rates set up for 100% travel both positions and the second "rate" being a higher expo, still having full throw available.
        Eventually I dial in the expo that I like for all flight configurations and do away with dual rates.

These settings will fly just about any airplane by any maker. Scratch built, kit built, ARF, PNF, BNF or RTF. Slow flying Parkzone Vapor to the 15 lb 5000 watt EDF conversion of the old Nitrplanes Falcon 120 and an assortment of 50CC gas models.
        I do the same for them all now.

Pay attention to CG.
        I logic check the manual's CG by doing a MAC estimate by drawing. If the manual CG is significantly off, I look for why.
        If I can't find a reason for the questionable CG, I make a small scale balsa "chuck glider" and test for CG.
        I have found several models over the years where the manual's recommended CG was 100% wrong.

Getting the CG right is critical to success and getting the best flight performance possible.

VERIFY THE WING IS ATTACHED CORRECTLY by trying to pull it off. (not to the pint f breaking things)
        The screws can easily go beside the plastic inserts, feel like they are gripping and not be secure.
        And we recently had someone try taking off a .46 glow power trainer with just 2 rubber bands holding the wing on... It stayed together long enough to destroy the fuselage when it impacted.

And... test and retest and recheck the control directions before EVERY FLIGHT.
        Power on to the RX system, check directions and response of all controls.
        Carry out and set it down. Verify control response and directions standing behind the model.
        Taxi out, pause, check controls.

I have found a reversed aileron (one correct and the other wrong) as late as that last check, doing all of these checks. You tend to watch just one aileron when checking the controls.

If you hear anything strange, reduce power, slow down and land immediately. Flutter makes a buzzing noise in high speed balsa models. The sound is different for foam models and difficult to describe.
        Flutter will rip control surfaces off, tear off tail-planes or shatter wings.
        Too many people try a low, high speed pass to try and see the issue. The plane usually sheds parts on that pass.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thank you ALL for your comments - I will "absorb and process" them all

Comment

Working...
          X