X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Drager grass field Whats the best way to take off

I have a bump grass field at our club. planes want to nose over really bad. So, I was told to hold enough up elevator to keep tail pinned. Problem is that the plane still lifts off but stall as soon as it gets airborn if I use less elevator it will nose over.and the three tail dragers I have tried all do the same thing. What is the best method to use with a trail dragger on bumpy grass field

Its tricky and a fine line, but once you get enough motion the tail will lift off the ground and as soon as this happens centre the elevator until you get enough speed and slowly ease on the elevator and it will lift off. It is a fine line that takes a bit of practise. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by possum View Post
      Its tricky and a fine line, but once you get enough motion the tail will lift off the ground and as soon as this happens centre the elevator until you get enough speed and slowly ease on the elevator and it will lift off. It is a fine line that takes a bit of practise. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise

Comment

You can take off 3pt, but soon as it lifts off you have to get the nose down to build airspeed and avoid the stall. . Same way full scale is done for soft field takeoffs. Otherwise as possum said, stay 3pt till you build momentum and bring the tail up slightly and then rotate.

Comment

I Primarily fly taildraggers off grass. It takes a little practice to get the 'Feel' but once you get it, it's not a problem. For me it's a little backwards from a normal take off. Instead of adding elevator to rotate, you release a little elevator as the plane rotates. In other words, when start your takeoff you need more elevator to keep the tail on the ground to steer and when the tail lifts off the ground you start backing off the elevator a bit to get a smooth takeoff attitude.
          A simulator works great for practicing taildragger takeoffs.
          Good Luck,
          David

Comment

I fly out of thick tall grass, and I have a few planes that will fight it all the way. if you are taking off and not faiding left after lift off, try to give some elevator back as soon as you clear the grass. just enough to bring the nose down (this is called unloading the wing). some times I touch down after unloading, keep full tilt on and she will usually climb back out.

Joe
            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

The answer is... lay out some old carpet as a portable runway.

Small wheel size vs tall grass height can mean there is no way to take off from the grass.

Then when its time to land the tall grass catches small wheels and flips the airplane.... or rips the gear off.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks for the advise. My issue came even with full up evl to keep tail down it lifts off too soon and goes in stall right at lift off.

Comment

I've been flying on asphalt for over 7 years and one month ago switched to grass for the first time, at first had a hard time taking off but as in the advice above, it takes a new mindset and now I love it. Of my tail dragging warbirds, I fly the 1600mm Corsair, a 1400mm Corsair, the 1600mm Spitfire and a 1700mm P-51. 1st trys had me mowing the lawn. As stated above, I now keep full up elevator on initial taxi only, then at about 15% throttle, I let the tail up by slowly releasing elevator without increasing throttle much anymore. At this point, you need to begin steering with right elevator to keep it straight, although not as pronounced as on concrete. I actually like to now get it in a slight nose down attitude, but of course not enough to mow any grass. Then I accelerate smoothly, keeping that same attitude and can now lift off when I choose to (with 70% or more throttle). The Corsairs love to lift off early and stall, so if I keep that slight nose down attitude it stays put, now you can lift off at a speed of your choosing and it looks smooth a hell. Even at level attitude, I feel it lifts off too soon, so this nose down attitude solves that issue. I also trim my elevator for take-off flaps so the plane actually sinks (slight nose down) at 50% throttle, so on take-off, I don't have to give it down elevator to keep that nose down orientation. All my other non warbird tail draggers I keep at a level orientation.

You've got to get off the full up elevator fairly soon, only for a few feet of initial taxi (maybe 10), and at low throttle. If you punch it with full up, you will always get it to jump up and stall. Your throttle increases need to be slow and smooth, keeping it at the proper attitude throughout. Don't rush your take-offs, leave time to steer the plane if need be and to get it into the correct attitude, then use slow (something like 2-3 seconds to get from 20% to 70%), even throttle increases while you use the elevator to keep orientation.
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                  X