X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum Announcement - Smart ESCs

Spektrum announced today a new line of Smart ESCs. There is a lot to digest, but it looks interesting. For one, when coupled with their smart battery, the ESC can report battery status (not just flight pack voltage) as telemetry. I for one am looking forward to flying the battery instead of an arbitrary timer. No more guessing how much battery is left for that last go around.

More information in the links below.

There are some implications that could be a problem using this tech with MotionRC planes, and I'm hoping someone here can help answer them.

I understand the 'blue box' used in many of the planes is limited to 5 volts, that is going over 5 volts has been a factor in some issues. The new ESCs have an interesting feature that allow the user to configure the voltage used by the BEC. The problem is that the documentation indicates the minimum voltage is 6 volts.

I know there is nothing wrong with the ESCs supplied by Motion in the models, however it would not be unusual for any pilot to swap it our in order to take advantage of the smart features.

Attached Files

The new ESC Spektrum units do look interesting, however, given my current inventory of batteries I am in no hurry to start buying the new SMART batteries that are needed to use the telemetry features. I already invested in a bunch of Telemetry receivers and sensors.

Comment

Actually the telemetry works with non-smart batteries as well.

Comment

i have a 100amp on pre order its for the Avios MiG which shipped with a bad esc.

my concern is that the bec is 6v and the freewing bkue box cant handke more than 5v

Another interesting development is yhe new smart receiver. It apeaapp for the first time Spektrum is going to allow access and programming of Safe features. There is actually good reasons for even ecpert pilots to use safe. I uSe it on hand launched planes to protect against an oafish hand launch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonRhone View Post
          The new ESC Spektrum units do look interesting, however, given my current inventory of batteries I am in no hurry to start buying the new SMART batteries that are needed to use the telemetry features. I already invested in a bunch of Telemetry receivers and sensors.
          The Smart stuff will be going in all of Horizon's BNF's and RTF stuff in the future. The batteries can be charged on any charger with the use of a adapter. They do offer some pretty cool features.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I just checked and I.must have flown a pair of edf planes of mine over 100 times. Both batteries (6S 3200 & 6S 4000) have been cycled 50+ times and I rarely go home with a battery still charged. The amazing thing, is the batteries still look brand new.

Comment

Great experience these are good flights

Comment

Working...
              X