X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other RC models of interest

Squawk is obviously geared more towards aviation (today), but I'm curious what other types of RC models people enjoy building or playing with in their spare time.

I myself love RC sailboats, gas powered V-hulls and hydros, on-road nitro cars, and off road electric monster trucks. I'm also facinated with RC submarines and RC fire trucks (PM me if anyone has a good source for these) and hope to tinker with them in the not too distant future.

Years ago I wanted to get an RC submarine. Never happened since there really wasnt any place I could pilot it. I still want one though!

I want to get into helis, and have a nano CPX, but only flew it a handful of times. I do want to try to get back to it.

I got my brother hooked to rc sailboats, as he lived right next to central park in NYC. He bought a dragonforce sailboat and sails it at the park frequently.

Comment

I too am fascinated with RC subs and have a lake nearby where I could pilot one. Have you seen where Bob Martin, the RC Sub Guy at the Nautilus Dry Docks has created the files for a completely 3D printed model of the British Astute class sub that are available? He just got done printing one for a friend that will be somewhere around 78" long with a 10" beam. It is huge! He is an excellent source of knowledge, kits, parts and support. Besides EDF's I also fly helis and have done cars, tunnel hull boats and sailboats and currently have a Pro Boat UL-19 electric hydro.

Comment

I have not seen Bob Martin's website or creations. Send a link or more info if you can. My son left his Ender 3 at home when he went to college and I've been looking for something fun to print.

Comment

He has a youtube channel also, good stuff. here is his site. https://www.rc-submarine.com and is RCSub guy on YT.
          AMA 424553

Comment

Here's something that combines submarines AND flying:

And of course, since it's in Japan:

To see even more ships, here's the web page:

ラジコン潜水艦や水中SF宇宙船など、水中ラジコン普及の情報発信として、YDDockの ラジコン潜水艦情報を配信中です。自作の水中ラジコンモデルの映像や アクアモデラーズミーティングの過去映像や、JMSS日本模型潜水艦協会の協力で様々な 過去映像は、まさに日本のラジコン潜水艦の歴史と言えます。YDDockラジ潜情報チャンネルで それらの貴重な映像を配信していきます。 ただ今定期的に更新中。 私の作った水中モデルはwww.sfydd.comで公開しています。 公開中の動画に関する簡単な説明などはFacebookページの方で公開していますので ご覧ください。 https://www.facebook.com/YDDock ラジコン潜水艦のKindle書籍 誰も語ることがなかったラジコン潜水艦の世界、 ラジコン潜水艦の基礎やラジコンの基礎、いくつかのモデルの紹介などもしています。 「絶滅危惧種 ラジコン潜水艦を知る!!」 も発売中 https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08RC63Z1D

Comment

The Japanese never cease to amaze me with their cool toys. I never thought of building an underwater capable Starfleet ship, but when see it running underwater it mimics the movement that you would see in space much more than if it was flying through the air. Reminds me of those helium-filled RC airlines you see in Europe that fly so slow and smooth like the real thing. My head is swirling with winter project ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
                The Japanese never cease to amaze me with their cool toys. I never thought of building an underwater capable Starfleet ship, but when see it running underwater it mimics the movement that you would see in space much more than if it was flying through the air. Reminds me of those helium-filled RC airlines you see in Europe that fly so slow and smooth like the real thing. My head is swirling with winter project ideas.
                And some of them they started with off-the-shelf model kits, like the Yamato, and just added lights, sealed them up, and added an aquatic version of a thrust vectoring EDF.

Comment

Lol. Was wondering if this topic would ever come up. Being a boat owner I decided to purchase a Barbwire XL2 rc boat. The esc and motor are cooled through a hose which draws up the lake water. It even has mechanism that uprights the boat if it flips over.

Comment

I just recently found out about the self-righting tech, very cool. Can't even count how many times I had to go swimming to retrieve my hydros after flipping over or running out of gas. The tennis ball on end of my fishing rod worked sometimes but often I had to get out fast before the boat would sink. The joys of RC boating in the 90's

Comment

I recently got into RC cars/trucks and quickly bought about 5 or 6 of them. After about 6 months, now I have sold all but two of mine and one of those is for sale now. Just love the RC planes way more. My son does love the trucks though so I am keeping one for me, one for the wife, and his so we can continue to play together. My son also LOVES RC boats and right now he has just one little jet drive one. We have a jet boat we take out every weekend so he loves that his rc boat is also jet.

I have tried and tried to get my son into RC planes and he likes to watch and will fly his once in a while but he really likes the boats and trucks better.

Comment

Been doing some research on RC subs and have found out some interesting stuff. In the US the radio and frequency combinations are tough to deal with unfortunately. The higher end frequencies like 2.4 GHz will not penetrate water so for subs they really need the older FM radios but to be completely FCC compliant they really need to be surface use or 75MHz. The dilemma is in trying to find a radio on 75MHz with more than just three channels. I have found out that you can get certain Futaba 72MHz radios re-tuned to 75. The T9CAP is one but these radios while still out there are becoming harder to find. I just managed to score one off of eBay used in excellent condition with receiver for just over $100 and a place called Radio South can re-tune it to 75MHz for about $50 so I will eventually have a sub. This is not so much a problem in Europe as they use 40MHz radios which unfortunately are illegal for RC in the US. What has become junk to one larger sector of the RC community is highly valued by another small group and even then has to be modified to work.

Comment

RC boats, sailboard, subs. Crawlers, too. I'd be happy to see you folks adding sections related to any of these.

One never has too many toys...

Comment

..I like rc motorcycles, and have a couple, here's my dirt-bike running out back..!

Comment

Picked up an RC PBR from a friend a few months ago, and it’s great fun. Even more so when I fly my Huey with it! Also picked up a 1/10 RC Willys Jeep to keep the warbirds company.

Comment

Third pic is SWEEEEEET DD
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                  Third pic is SWEEEEEET DD
                                  Thanks Charlie! Crazy thing is that the guy who took the picture, was also driving the boat at the same time! Was a real expertise in coordination.

Comment

Working...
                                  X