Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyzone Dehaviland DHC-2 Beaver Float Brackets

Hello.

I am looking for a replacement set of float brackets for my Flyzone Dehaviland DHC-2 Beaver. I have the item number, which is FLZA6276. The original set of brackets consists of 10 pieces. All of the places that I have contacted do not carry this item anymore. I have my original float brackets with my original floats and an extra set of the Beaver floats. I am converting one set of the floats to wheels for ground operations. The other set of floats will remain as intended for water usage.

Once I obtain the new brackets, I will attach them to the other set of floats. This will then result in a rather simple "switch out of the floats" procedure for use on either land or water. I guess that if push does comes to shove, I will try to replicate the brackets out of K S aluminum streamline tubing, but getting the "exact" lengths and attachment point angles plus the proper screw hole locations will be quite a task indeed!

I had also attempted to modify the floats to make this float plane totally amphibious, but had obtained results that were less than, shall I say - successful, but it lead to some interesting experiences....., sort of.

Any and all help is appreciated with this "issue."

Thank you!

Hey Corsair: Sadly, HH has discontinued the Flyzone Beaver which was a great scale rendition of the DHC2. I also needed an extra float bracket set and can't find one anywhere. I did however go through the crafty work of making my own out of thin walled oval aluminum tubing. I copied the angle bends and made a left and right set. I pinched the ends slowly in a vise making sure not to flatten the aluminum too much. I used flush cutters to trim the ends roughly to shape and drilled the screw holes. It worked fine; looked a little bit rough and lasted many flights. The thing I noticed was that the plane had a bit more wobble because the flattened bends had a bit of "hinge like" spring to them. It would be better to use a slightly thicker aluminum like Flyzone did or slide a flat, rectangular cut piece of aluminum or even mylar into the end where the bend will be to stiffen the bend. That's only if you decide to ever make your own. Sometimes we make stuff....

Comment

Hello Airhead.

I would like to thank you for your response here as it is very much appreciated!! I also thank you too for your mention and suggestion of stiffening up the ends of the tubing with something - anything - that will take away that "springiness." I remember having that same "springiness" issue when I used oval tubing for another project some years ago. Also your mention of using a flush cutter is an excellent idea. I had used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and my "cut" tended to wander a bit, which did not help, but eventually a grinding wheel got things straightened out!!
      I have been looking at K S streamline tubing and will probably order some of it for this D I Y project as I do not really think that there is any chance of finding a factory set of float brackets for the Beaver. And as you mentioned the Flyzone Beaver is a great aircraft! I have even mounted a video camera on top of the fuselage and it flies just fine with it attached.
      So again, it was very nice of you to respond! I hope that all of your projects go well for you.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by corsair View Post
        Hello Airhead.

I would like to thank you for your response here as it is very much appreciated!! I also thank you too for your mention and suggestion of stiffening up the ends of the tubing with something - anything - that will take away that "springiness." I remember having that same "springiness" issue when I used oval tubing for another project some years ago. Also your mention of using a flush cutter is an excellent idea. I had used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and my "cut" tended to wander a bit, which did not help, but eventually a grinding wheel got things straightened out!!
        I have been looking at K S streamline tubing and will probably order some of it for this D I Y project as I do not really think that there is any chance of finding a factory set of float brackets for the Beaver. And as you mentioned the Flyzone Beaver is a great aircraft! I have even mounted a video camera on top of the fuselage and it flies just fine with it attached.
        So again, it was very nice of you to respond! I hope that all of your projects go well for you.

Jim
        You're welcome Corsair! I haven't tried the camera set-up yet. I will get into that one day. It would be great to see aerial footage of the lakes and rivers I fly on here in Ontario. I have 2 Beavers and 1,Turbo Beaver which HH cancelled in a year or so of production. The Turbo flies great. Higher kv motor. No parts for it either. I'm buying a new FMS Beaver 2000. Freewing should produce a DHC2....Take care and a Merry Christmas...
        . Click image for larger version

Name:	deHavilland Beaver (11).JPG
Views:	594
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	223721Click image for larger version

Name:	RCAF Beaver (8).JPG
Views:	635
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	223722Click image for larger version

Name:	GULF 20 Turbo Beaver.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	223723

Comment

Hi Airhead.
          Those are some nice planes pictured there. And it looks like you have some very nice places to fly at too. I am sure that you would get some great looking video from an on-board camera if you ever choose to do so. Oh, have you ever thought about running a fishing line off of the float plane with a fishing lure attached? You could taxi the plane all over and troll at the same time too. That could turn into an interesting scenario if you caught a large enough fish that had more "power" than the aircraft did!!

And yes, it is amazing how the manufacturers keep changing their production runs. I do know that in marketing, change is the key to continued sales....., however I also think that it would be nice if the really popular products would stay in production along with the parts for them!!!!! I hope that your new FMS Beaver 2000 turns out well for you. I have not seen one of those yet, but I will have to "Google" it and check it out.

So stay warm Airhead and Merry Christmas to you and yours also!! And I hope that the new year brings you continued enjoyment of this fun, fascinating and enjoyable hobby!

Best Regards

Corsair A K A Jim

Comment

Working...
          X