Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitec and the "Vaporware" Aurora 9x...

Hitec is really plucking my last nerve with the endless delays on the release of the Aurora 9x... <smiley image="smiley_angry.gif"/>

They announced it in December. First May, then June, July, August, and now September for availability! C'mon Hitec get it together!!! <smiley image="smiley_argh.gif"/>

Pfffttt..... <smiley image="smiley_super.gif"/>

Re: Hitec and the "Vaporware" Aurora 9x...

New release date is mid October. We have many on order but the date has been pushed back a few times. We will have it as soon as it is available. Again, currently this is mid October though a month ago it said mid September. Honestly, the differences between the Aurora 9 and Aurora 9x are minimal. If you have an application which requires the lower latency or you want the built it SLT, the Aurora 9x is what you want. If those two things are of no interest, save $100 and get the Aurora 9. I will say the built in SLT to fly Flyzone TXR planes is nice. I would be shocked if more manufacturers did not start using SLT.

Comment

Hi Tom. Thank you for the info. The 9x was announced last December and I have been watching it pushed back month after month since May. Honestly I can't understand the delay on this radio as its been SIX MONTHS since its initial estimated availability and close to a year since it was officially announced. I don't care so much about the latency, but I do like the built-in SLT compatibility, and also that you don't have the silly wire hanging out the back like with the Aurora 9. Why in the heck did they design the thing that way? I notice Hitec has the 9x Owner's Manual online now, and you still need the stupid PC interface device. Why they didn't just replace that port with a USB port is beyond me? The biggest draw for me with the Aurora 9x is the Optima receivers with built-in battery telemetry. They are reasonably priced, which is important when you have a lot of planes to fit with receivers. I have to be honest and wish this transmitter had at least 12 channels as I do have one bird that requires 12 for all the features (the Freewing Mig-29). 9 covers every other plane I own.

I have been eyeing the new Spektrum DX9, which also has telemetry compatibility, but I have yet to find out if the Spektrum receivers offer built-in battery telemetry, or if I would need a separate telemetry module. That would be a bit much to add a telemetry module to each plane, not only in expense but in the extra wiring as some of the planes don't have much room for adding more stuff inside. I absolutely love the DX9's 250 model memory capability and the voice features...very cool. I am betting that the DX18 will be upgraded soon to include the Voice features, and that would be a sweet radio with 18 channel capability. I would wait for a voice-enabled DX-18 if the receivers offer onboard battery telemetry

Now, being as I only plan on getting one radio, and having never been accused of being the frugal sort, I have also been eyeballing the fantastic Futaba 18MZ. <smiley image="smiley_scared.gif"/> That is a totally cool radio but, at $2999, it is a lot of money. I know the Futaba R7008SB (and other "SB" receivers) offer built-in battery telemetry but, like the 18MZ, they are rather pricey compared to other receivers. Perhaps the Futaba 14SG with 14 channels, telemetry capable, at 1/6th the price of the 18MZ, would be a nice compromise? Gotta love that screen and cam (albeit only .3 mp) on the 18MZ though.

I have also considered something on the cheap end...the Walkera DEVO10. The radio is only $149, and the 10-channel receivers are about $30 each. Can't seem to get much info on the reliability of this unit though. Walkera also offers a really fancy DEVO12 12-channel system, with a full-color touch screen, for about $400 (battery, hard case, stylus, and strap included). Again, I would like to research the reliability of this system before going this route. I want to select my radio carefully and make sure it is something I am happy with, and then equip all my aircraft with a receiver compatible with that system.

Comment

The 14SG is a great radio. It does have the ability to show flight battery pack voltage BUT you need a R7008SB FASSTest receiver and a FUTM5551 external voltage cable to see this. The 14SG will notify you of a low battery pack at the voltage setting of your choice. The radio will beep/vibrate and with the new software update it will talk to you and read the telemetry. Unlike other Futaba radios, the 14SG can be used with FASSTest, FASST, and FHSS receivers. This means you can use the reasonably priced 6 channel and 8 channel FHSS receivers normally only used with the Futaba 6J and 8J radios. However, you will not have telemetry with these receivers. This is a fantastic radio for those with a healthy budget.

The Hitec Optima 6 and above receivers for the Aurora 9 and 9x include the cable for battery telemetry. This cable connects from the battery to the SPC port on the receiver. The added benefit of this is the fact that the receiver will now be powered directly from the flight battery eliminating any possibility of brown out. There is an external Hitec unit which will read you the telemetry. As you said, model memory is limited to 30 - sort of. With the PC interface, you can backup all your models to a computer and swap any planes from radio to computer and back again. This allows unlimited model setups. One thing to note. You will not have increased resolution and decreased latency when using the Optima receivers. You must use the Maxima receivers to see the increased resolution and lower latency.

I don't know anything about the Walkera but we are testing a reasonable priced radio right now which also has telemetry. Will tell you more if we like it.

As far as Spectrum, please call and ask anyone here their opinion.

Comment

The 9x will be here today (Thursday) or Friday!

Comment

In stock!

Comment

Just placed my order along with several extra receivers... <smiley image="anim_drunk.gif"/>

Comment

Thank you very much. A couple things to note about the Aurora 9X.

The new Maxima line of receivers are ultra low latency. They are rated at 7ms but testing has shown a rate closer to 5ms. Fast is great BUT these Maxima receivers are too fast to be used with analog servos. you must only use the Maxima receivers in planes without any analog servos. In other words, you must have digital servos when using a Maxima receiver. This is not optional.

Of course the Optima and Minima recievers work great with the Aurora 9X. In fact the Optima receivers frame rate was about 41ms with the Aurora 9 but the frame rate for the same optima receiver when used with the Aurora 9 has been cut in half to about 19ms.

Of course the 9X can also be used with SLT (tactic) receivers and Flyzone TXR planes.

Comment

Thank you very much for that heads up, Tom. None of my models have digital servos, but I plan on sticking with the Optima receivers because the feature I want is the battery telemetry. I don't believe you get that feature with the Maximas. I have a couple of Flyzone planes that came with SLT receivers so I am good there too. Going to be nice to have a computer radio! I have been holding out for the 9X for so long that I almost pulled the trigger on the DX9 the other day when I saw it in stock...lol! The only thing that stopped me was needing separate telemetry modules, and I know the DX18 is going to get upgraded with the voice feature. <smiley image="smiley_scared.gif"/> I am curious if my Airfield receivers will bind with the Aurora, as they are FHSS also? Not sure who actually makes them...they are used in Nitroplane's "Airfield" line. I have 18 of them and, while they don't offer telemetry, it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a new receiver for every single plane right away.

Comment

You are correct. The Maxima RX do not have any telemetry. Personally, I will continue to use the Optima RX as well because I have very few planes where all servos in the plane are digital.

As far as Airfield receivers, I am about 100% sure they will not bind. I would be shocked if they did. Every brand of radio/receiver is fairly proprietary with the exception of some of the knockoffs made in China. In the case of knockoffs, they usually list their compatibility. The Aurora 9X is one of the few exceptions since the open source SLT protocol is included in the radio. I suspect you are going to need to purchase some inexpensive receivers to get all your other planes on the 9X. You may want to try a couple of the Tactic TR624. At less than $20, they are a really good 6 channel full range receiver. We will soon have them in two packs for $37 or $38. These are SLT receivers and will have no issue working with the Aurora 9X however you will not have any telemetry with these receivers.

Comment

I always appreciate your feedback, Tom. Its nice to deal with a business where you can actually talk with someone! I am very excited for the Aurora 9X to arrive and finally having a nice computer radio where I can have different settings for different models. With my 6-channel Airfield radio, there are no settings...no dual-rates, exp, etc...and I always have to be very careful to do a control surface check for each plane, because on many I have to reverse things to ensure I have the control surfaces going the right way. <i> (I have a Dynam 5-channel transmitter also, and that one is the same way, although it does have a rate knob that works on ailerons & elevator only)</i> Think I have read the 9X manual three times over the past couple of days...lol. Its very cool how you can assign switches, program servo speeds, reverse servos, etc for each model, and having a timer & telemetry onboard is awesome! Currently I have this little gizmo that I plug into the battery balance port, and a loud alarm goes off when the batteries get low.

I do have a question regarding a few of my EDF models, which I have never flown because I did not have the proper radio until now. I have the Freewing SU-35, F/A-18, and EF-2000, all purchased from Motion. Of the three, I have only built the F/A-18 and I should add that it looks so cool! All have thrust vectoring and the specs say they require a "7 or 8" channel radio system. Only the SU-35 has an actual rudder...the other two use the thrust vectoring as their rudder. I have throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, gear, and I assume 2 or 3 channels for the thrust vectoring? I am curious as to why the specs say "7-8" channels instead of specifying one or the other?

Comment

Here is why we say 7 or 8 channel. You are correct, there is not an actual rudder control surface on the F-18. Instead you use the thrust vectoring for rudder control. There is a specific rudder servo for side to side thrust vectoring. Freewing includes a Y harness with the intent that you will put the rudder and steering servo on the same channel. In this case we say 7 or 8 channel RX because some may find it preferable to separate this y connector. The other reason is mentioned below. You are very safe using a 7 channel on the Eurofighter and F-18. However, the SU-35 is another story. Here you also have a Y connector to connect the actual rudder control surface with the side to side thrust vectoring and steering. Personally, I would always use at least 8 channels on this plane because I want the option to setup dual rates on my side to side "rudder" thrust vectoring separate from the actual rudder control surface which will have different settings. In addition, I would like to have the option to turn off side to side thrust vectoring if desired which I cannot do if the rudder and side to side vector are using the same channel. You could go with a 7 channel in the Euro and F-18 while using an 8 channel in the SU-35. That said, there are some jets which have two separate servos for each half of the elevator. In this case I prefer to use two channels for elevator rather than a Y cable because I can rarely get my two elevator halves harmonized perfectly using mechanical linkage. I would prefer to use two elevator channels so I can use use sub trim and end point adjustment to make sure both sides of the elevator move perfectly in tandem with the same end points and same neutral servo position.

Comment

Working...
                        X