X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote ID

So if this FAA remote I D goes through can somebody shed light on what this will look like going forward and when it would take effect

I'm really surprised this has no responses. I spent a couple days reading and studying the NPRM, and it's clear they intend the recreational end of the hobby to go away.

What they seek is remote identification of all UAS's (unmanned aircraft systems). If it flies, it has to be identifying itself.

There are two levels-

Standard Remote Identification would require the aircraft to broadcast a signal to a specific receiver OR to the internet. It would be permitted to fly beyond visual range.

Limited Remote Identification would require the aircraft to connect to the internet, and in addition remain within 400' and line of sight of the operator.

Upon implementation of the rule, no aircraft will be allowed to be produced or sold in the US that do not have the capability to identify themselves.

The rule discusses that they anticipate that the fleet of grandfathered UAS's would decrease as their lifespans are exceeded, eventually dwindling to nothing.

For a period of time after the rule, aircraft acquired before the rule will be allowed to be flown, but only in FAA recognized identification areas. This means every flying field would have to be registered with the FAA. And no flying outside of those would be permitted at all by UAS's that could not identify themselves.

The rule would only allow 12 months to register FAA recognized identification areas, (think of your local flying field) after which no new applications would be accepted. And that over time, approximately a decade, it appears, sites would fall out of use and there would be a diminishing number. Fields could continue to be used, but only by aircraft that had self-broadcast capability.

From the outset, flying of UAS's that did not possess broadcast capability outside of FAA recognized identification areas would be illegal.

I'd be interested in comments from the manufacturers. There are telemetry receivers now, of course. Could a generation be produced that could broadcast the required information, for retrofit? The requirement would be that the field have some kind of receiver that could accept the signal and transmit the data over the internet. I'd envision something like a bluetooth connection from the transmitter to your cellphone, and using the cell network to to transmit the data. But that presumes the FAA recognized identification area is in an area with cell coverage.

It's definitely a mess. And an overreach. It'll be interesting to see what gets implemented.

Comment

The way I read it is for recreational UAS, if you are flying within a designated and FAA approved location (AMA or similar club field) you will not have to have remote ID so far. The new rules mandates that manufacturers, 3 years from the time the rule does into effect will be required to have some sort of ADS-B like transponder built into the aircraft (maybe just all receivers or a stand alone mini transponder like unit) on any "ARF" type UAS. There is still some provision, I believe but not certain for the hobby guys and they may, like homebuilt aircraft require a "hobby" built 51% rule.
      There are certain provisions that separate recreational aircraft but not many. IF you do not fly from a designate and approved flying site (AMA/Club airfield), 3 years after this rule is implemented in it's present form. you will have to have RID and your aircraft will only be able to be operated in a 400ft dome both vertically and horizontally.
      The penalties are pretty stiff for violating the rules. Something like $1,700 fine up to $10,000 and possible jail time if they prove knowing negligence.

Also, in the rules present form, every aircraft you own will have to be registered. Each aircraft will require a $5.00 tax every 3 years. And as we all know once the government gets a "small" tax approved they always raise it sighting necessary administrative costs so you can expect it to be in around $15-$20 very shortly. This part of the rules is a plain money grab. The current operator registration is more than sufficient, with number placed in each UAS the operator owns, to "indentify" the operator.

If you read through the NPRM it clearly states that the FAA wants to establish a "UAS system" based on "anticipated/projected" UAS growth. Read this as "commercial drone use".

Make no mistake, this NPRM is all about the commercial/government use and operation of UAS vehicles. It is an airspace grab plain and simple. As the saying goes, "Follow the money". You can bet that Amazon, that clearly stated they want to use UAS to deliver their merchandize and many other companies and government agencies have lobbied hard for this NPRM. They can't say this outright so they use their usual fallback of "Public Safety/Security" which the uneducated public and politicians always fall for.

Comment

I still haven't did the first FAA reg thing. I wont be rushing to follow this rule either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudinater View Post
          I still haven't did the first FAA reg thing. I wont be rushing to follow this rule either.
          Shhhhhhh! Don't let them know or the "Model Airplane Police" will come after you.
          Best regards,
          Cris B.
          AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
          NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Working...
          X