X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beeg,

You are right whichever way you fly is fun and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. But if you practice and learn to fly in both directions it will make you a better pilot and a safer pilot.

PappaBear

Comment

Originally posted by PappaBear View Post
      Beeg,

You are right whichever way you fly is fun and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. But if you practice and learn to fly in both directions it will make you a better pilot and a safer pilot.

PappaBear
      True that! And even more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        Concur Aros with really work at improving. Maybe that chain link fence won't be so intimidating for landing
        It's all about the confidence because you know ya got the skill set. [/LEFT]
        It's not skill set, it's gear that several times no matter the sweet greaser likes to pull right - into the fence. So I got tired of fighting it.

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Here's the cool thing about this, when you fly RC, you tend to put yourself into the cockpit of the model, while flying 3D from outside. Our brains tend to develop habits when we are multitasking, as with flying RC. My brain begins to set up my flight long before I roll the model down the runway. I'm studying the wind, temperature, obstacles, the angle of the sun, and while all this is going on, I'm remembering the flight before. I tend to fly left circuits to use the propeller, yet another thing we are thinking about, but it's not the final word. I can land right, or straight away from me or into my direction in emergencies. I practice ovals both directions, figure eights, verticals and fall offs(pedal turns) both ways and then I use what the model is doing to project what way I'm going to pull my circuit. Full scale flying is much like model flying, all the same things are happening in the brain. Aros your question is simple, which direction do we prefer, but it requires a complex answer. As pilots, we are always adjusting, always trying to keep ahead of the aircraft. So if I say I prefer to make left circuits, because of whatever reasoning, in reality I'm trying to convince myself that would be a perfect setup. But, the situation will dictate my direction of flight at the field. It does help me to fly full scale, and I can parallel many things about flying models, but I fly the way I feel and the way my surroundings can be manipulated. And, I NEVER forget where the dirt is!
          My two and a half cents anyway!

Comment

Are you kidding me! Why would anyone ever want to turn Right?!!
            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

Doesn't hurt to teach the brain to be ambidextrous. When I was learning drums, I went to a regular free drum clinic. One of the instructors suggested we should switch the kit around the other way every 6 months for a period. It helps to mirror the reflexes and teach both hemispheres to do the same thing. Sometimes, I use a cordless drill in the left or right hand depending on the situation. I fly in both directions...

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                Doesn't hurt to teach the brain to be ambidextrous. When I was learning drums, I went to a regular free drum clinic. One of the instructors suggested we should switch the kit around the other way every 6 months for a period. It helps to mirror the reflexes and teach both hemispheres to do the same thing. Sometimes, I use a cordless drill in the left or right hand depending on the situation. I fly in both directions...
                Being an A&P, welder and now in home repair I have to be ambidextrous, I fly in both directions and flying acrobatic helps in hand eye coordination.
                AMA 424553

Comment

Well since I don't plan on ever entering any kind of competition, I'm good with my left pattern flying. It's nice to be diverse but since I have yet to find the need to reverse course, I don't.

My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I fly both directions, up and then down, straight into the ground...........

No, its both directions for me and land both ways as well, my brain doesn't seem to care................

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Well since I don't plan on ever entering any kind of competition, I'm good with my left pattern flying. It's nice to be diverse but since I have yet to find the need to reverse course, I don't.

One of the reasons I fly both is that at my field there is a line of trees 300ft straight out from pilot position that the wind makes it so that you have too. We maintain 500ft on the south end of what is left of the Stone Mountain airfield after it was taken for parking during the 96 Olympics for the tennis arena and then given back with telephone polls between the taxiway and the runway, We had the polls removed about two years ago. More insight into that it's not just choice but necessity.
                      AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                      X