X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dx6i and stability eagle a3

Can somebody tell me if my Spektrum dx6i note I not e will work with a admiral eagle a3 stabilizer. I tried the rx600sp and it will not work to stabilize.

If I get correctly what you just asked (that first sentence is really odd), then yes, it will work. I'm assuming you are talking about a HobbyEagle A3-L V2? Admiral doesn't make the A3. Also, I can't speak for the A3 Pro or the A3 Super 3 as I don't use them. I have several of the A3-L's in my planes. (I'm surprised that the Admiral SP won't work for you on "manual" mode. If you don't access any of the functions, it should still work as a basic gyro.)
    Since a DX6i has no rotary knob, you won't be able to have a "master gain". Also, the A3-L does allow for 3 different "flight modes", but a DX6i doesn't have any 3-position switches, so you can't go this route. If you have only a 2-position switch available that you can assign, then you can only have gyro ON/OFF (for example, the gear switch or flap switch). If all your channels are occupied and you have no empty ports left, then The A3 can be used in manual mode only, which is "normal mode". In manual operation, only GAIN 1 (normal) will work. GAIN 2 (for 3D) shouldn't work but just in case, turn it all the way counter-clockwise for OFF. Ensure that the A3 knows how it's mounted, the wing type and ALL control surfaces respond to the gyro in the correct direction. For direction test, turn the GAIN 1 to full (clockwise) and move the plane to see how each surface responds. Once that's all correct, then start with the GAIN 1 dialed to about 10 o'clock for your first flight. If any of the control surfaces oscillate, slow it down and land and turn the gain down a tiny bit. If it doesn't oscillate, before the next flight, turn the gain up a tiny bit. By "tiny bit", I mean about "2 minutes" of turn on a minute hand. The idea is to turn it as high as it will allow without oscillation at speed. For slow planes, it should be well below 12 o'clock. For fast planes, it should way, way below that. Then, it's good forever for that plane.
    If you go "manual" gyro, the A3 should be no different than the SP on "manual", however I only use the Lemon equivalent of the SP and I know it CAN be used manually, WITHOUT any of the optional features that are selectable with a switch. On a DX6i, the most you can have for "options" is to turn the gyro ON or OFF in flight and that's only if you have a spare empty channel that can be controlled by a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim305@sbcglonal.net View Post
      Can somebody tell me if my Spektrum dx6i note I not e will work with a admiral eagle a3 stabilizer. I tried the rx600sp and it will not work to stabilize.
      Tim305@sbcglonal.net Hello again Tim,
      The stabilizer you are mentioning is not a Admiral Eagle but is a Hobby Eagle A3-L.
      The DX6i can control this stabilizer with a 2 position switch like Mix/Throttle Hold but only for turning the gyro on/off.
      This is discussed on page 3 of the stabilizer manual regarding Flight Modes.
      The gains can not be controlled in flight because that requires a slider or rotary knob or 3 way switch control on the Tx which the DX6i does not have.
      The gains are manually set on the Hobby Eagle stabilizer utilizing normally the left hand pot called Gain 1(Normal gain) as shown on page 1 of the manual.
      The description for gain adjustment is described on page 4 under Gain Adjustment.
      Also on that page is the paragraph concerning Remote Master Gain which spells out exactly the same as I what I indicated above underlined.
      I used the Hobby Eagle in my A-6 with a DX6I back in the early years and the stabilizer is still in there today but being controlled with a DX9.
      Once the gains are satisfactorily set manually there is really no need for flight adjustments.
      By using the Hobby Eagle with a "Standard" Rx (and yes the Admiral Rx600SP can be considered standard when not using the built in gyro) you will be able to get the benefits of using your DX6i Tx until such a time that you can upgrade to a more advanced programmable type of transmitter that can control the receivers with built in gyros.

Best regards,

EDIT...……..I see XV beat me to a response but with the same info in a different format
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Ok that first sentence was supposed to read (note I not the e) since when I asked for he!p on the RC motion site he kept sending me instructions for the dx6e and finally asked me to send him a photo of my radio. I thank you guys. I should not have bought used stuff I guess. By the way what is the difference in the action between recovery mode and stabilize? Don't they both seek to level the plane?

Comment

This has to do with BALANCING. There's always info about C of G and balancing. However there is not much said about LATERAL balancing. I made error on scratch built where one wing tip was heavier than other and caused crash. How doe one go about balance laterally taking in Torque for consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim305@sbcglonal.net View Post
            Ok that first sentence was supposed to read (note I not the e) since when I asked for he!p on the RC motion site he kept sending me instructions for the dx6e and finally asked me to send him a photo of my radio. I thank you guys. I should not have bought used stuff I guess. By the way what is the difference in the action between recovery mode and stabilize? Don't they both seek to level the plane?
            No! The difference between "recovery mode" and stabilize is this ..............................
            "Recovery mode" is like Spektrum's "SAFE" select. If you get into trouble, you throw a switch and the plane will find its level and fly in a straight line (hands off). Recovery mode generally, once the switch is thrown, the sticks don't work. I said "like", because Safe select, once in that mode, the plane will find level anytime you take your hands off the sticks and it won't allow you to bank, pitch or yaw more than a predetermined amount.
            "Stabilized" mode is where each axis (pitch, roll, yaw) is not affected by outside forces like wind buffets, cross winds. The higher the gain, the less affect winds will have on the plane. The sticks still work.
            In reality, the only advantage you have with your DX6i is that you can turn the gyro (stability) ON or OFF, BUT, that's ONLY if you have an empty port (channel) on your receiver (ie, gear) that is controlled by a switch. If you assign no switches to control any of the gyro's functions, then you are strickly in manual mode, which is with the stabilizer ON all the time and gain must be adjusted on the device via the gain pot. In this sense, I'm pretty sure you can use either the SP or the HobbyEagle with your DX6i the same way. IE, you won't have any of the modes available to you but you can still have gyro stabilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenji 1949 View Post
              This has to do with BALANCING. There's always info about C of G and balancing. However there is not much said about LATERAL balancing. I made error on scratch built where one wing tip was heavier than other and caused crash. How doe one go about balance laterally taking in Torque for consideration.
              Wrong thread?

Comment

Working...
              X