Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Edjumakashun

Can we talk props here?

Mainly looking to be educated on the differences in size and pitch. I'm looking to add a wood prop on one of my birds. From what I've found in my research, I'm assuming there is a difference between gas or electric motor as well. I know some of ya's are experienced to the point of reading amp draws(?) with different makes(plastic/cf/wood), prop pitches, and such. I'll admit to not being that smart in the game just yet. So I guess what I'm gettin at here is.. When swapping over to a wood prop, do I just got by the original prop size or is there an equation I need to consider to find the proper size and pitch?
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Is this for an electric motor or gas engine?

Comment

I'm looking for electric, Beeg. Have yet to dive into gassers.. if I ever do. Electric is all I know for now...

The stock prop I'm lookin to replace is 15 X 7..
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Props made for glow and gas power tend to be a little heavier and have thicker airfoil cross sections. This will draw more amps with less efficiency. Some companies, like Xoar, make wood props designed for electric. In that case you'd stay with the same diamenter and pitch.

Once we get to 20" diameter or more, I go with a gas prop for strength. Wood props tend to be lighter at this point as well.

Comment

Thanks TJ.. So as long as they are 'electric' specified, I should be good with the same size as the stock prop. I figured I'd be over thinking it.. just how my mind ticks sometimes.
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
            Thanks TJ.. So as long as they are 'electric' specified, I should be good with the same size as the stock prop. I figured I'd be over thinking it.. just how my mind ticks sometimes.
            Yes, make sure they are specified for electric. It hasn't been till just the last couple years that there have even been wood props you could use for electrics but Xoar makes them. Same length and pitch should be good to go!

Comment

Working...
            X