X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much free time just wondering

I am wondering what would happen if I tied a rc airplane with as3x and safe select to my car and drive down the street. Would the plane still fly, with the as3x keeping it level?

Post a video, I got to see this!

Comment

If it keeps it level, it won’t get off the ground. As far as “too much free time” is concerned, I think after the experiment, your free time will be taken up with repairs.

Comment

The connection point along the fuselage will greatly influence whether your experiment has the slightest chance of actually "flying" for more than a second. Study how bungee launchers are used to bring gliders up to flying speed, for example. Depending on the aircraft, the "sweet spot" for placement of the hook is a narrow corridor. Too far aft, and the model pitches up prematurely (your model will look like a spinning kite behind your car), and too far forward, and the model spins radially like a drill bit.

Any flight stabilizer such as the one you're proposing is designed to keep an aircraft level, to the extent that the aircraft's control surfaces are electrically and mechanically able. This supposes the aircraft is adopting a line of flight consistent with the fuselage datum or at the very least a reasonable AoA to the wing, such as is required for LIFT. Without sufficient lift, there is inadequate control authority, rendering the flight controller useless to exert a stabilizing effect.

Translation: Unless setup in a very specific way, tailored to your actual model and a sea of other factors, the result upon release of the aircraft will likely be it spinning axially around its tether uncontrollably.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
        X