X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post: Lessons Learned and Help Needed

Well folks, here it is...the inevitable "I'm new and in way over my head" thread.

Background: Always been an aviation enthusiast but grew up poor and never had the means to pursue it, so at nearly 38 years old, RC flying will suffice.

Started with Real Flight 9 and Hobbyzone Sport Cub RTF then quickly realized Kansas winds make it nearly impossible to fly in most places most of the time.

LL1: DO NOT fly next to a military base. I should have known that from working security/law enforcement on that same base for the past 18 years, but I had no idea that a tiny RC airplane flying circles below the treetops and outside the perimeter would pose a threat to tankers several thousand feet above. I've since joined AMA and the local affiliated RC club, got my FAA number, and use the B4UFLY app for any location outside my local AMA sanctioned site (which is also within that same restricted airspace box, but whatever)

So now I'm thinking "bigger/heavier aircraft=tolerate more wind", right? Cue the investment in Mini Apprentice BNF and Spektrum DX6e. Super easy setup of Tx using pre-made program from Spektrum site. Even bound the DX6e to Sport Cub for "one transmitter to rule them all" and the DX6e met my forecasted needs. Out to the field and having a blast running patterns with this zippy little thing but I had a "dolphin swim" problem trying to push past 30-40 % throttle, so I reached out to my local RC flying club on Facebook for some mentorship.

LL2: Apparently the older generation of modelers hate "foamies", electric power, or helping people. Got a lot of indignant pushback and no real help at all. Luckily I ran into a nice gentleman at the field who showed me how to set up control rates and trim and got that Mini Apprentice on the straight and level. Now I'm smooth as silk without SAFE assistance, even doing rolls and loops and picturesque landings in 5-7 mph crosswinds!

Since bigger=better, MORE bigger should equal MORE better, right? Cue the FMS Ranger 1800 PNP. 70.9 inches of Cessna clone goodness with flaps and lights! Lights are necessary working 3rd shift and hitting the flying field late evening/early morning. Being PNP I also got the Spektrum AR636 receiver and a 14.8/4000mah/4S battery to go with it.

This is where things get interesting.

Instructions for transmitter, instructions for receiver, instructions for airplane, instructions for the software to calibrate and set up the receiver and none of them say the same things in the same order. I started by assembling the airplane according to its instructions without installing the battery. Then I followed the receiver instructions which only consisted of mount in one of 8 possible positions (double sided tape to the passenger side of fuselage, servo ports forward), connect to software (usb cable to PC) then follow on screen prompts, plug in servo leads (AR636 instructions and Ranger instructions do not match here), bind to Tx and whala! You're flying!

That did not happen. I followed the software prompts and updated to firmware 2.30. Selected receiver orientation, aircraft type and wing config (1 flap, 1 aileron), then left the rest alone because I did not understand it and there was no help. It failed to calibrate every time despite the thing being mounted properly and sitting perfectly still next to me on my basement floor.

Set up new model in DX6e with all settings blank as recommended in Rx instructions. Disconnected Rx from computer, stuck bind plug in, connected the battery, then started binding on Tx. Bound successfully and the aircraft started wiggling each surface just like the Mini Apprentice does on startup. Yay! Then within seconds, before I could pull the bind plug, THE ESC BEEPS AND GOES FULL THROTTLE despite left stick all the way down, shredding my jeans and left buttcheek. I grab the rolling plane by the tail with right hand and reach back to unsnap battery with left hand but catch the propeller requiring seven stitches in my ring and pinky fingers. Spattered bloody mess looks like the thing sawed through a flock of geese.

LL3: NEVER service/setup/repair an aircraft with the prop installed. It hurts. But hey, I was just following instructions...

Came back from ER, removed prop and bind plug, tried powering on again just to see what's up. This time, the aircraft did not go through its little dance; it just beeped a lot. I tried the Tx sticks and found the right stick horizontal axis moved the elevator and the LED lights were on, but nothing else was moving and throttle did nothing. Then it made the same beep as it did right before slicing my hand up so I instinctively pulled battery off despite no prop installed.

I told this same story on my local RC club FB page and got a bunch of "dumb@$$ shoulda known better" and "wouldn't have this problem with nitro and analog" responses but no one willing to share any knowledge or help me troubleshoot, so here I am.

Spektrum site is no help at all. Just generic YouTube vids where everything works right the first time. I've gone through the servo connectors three times now and settled on the AR636 order since each servo lead is tagged with its respective surface from the factory. I'm going to call tech support on Monday (wish me luck) then if that fails, the same gent who helped me trim the Mini Apprentice works at our local HobbyTown and is renowned for his aircraft genius so I might hit him up. It'll be worth the price of labor if he's willing to teach me as we go instead of just dropping it off there.

Anyways, thanks for reading along. Great success with RTF and BNF systems lent me confidence that I could manage a PNP, but now I'm at a loss for what to do to get this thing airworthy.

Thanks for joining Hobby Squawk Gravity Wins and this a great first post as your story probably will mimic many who have attempted to dive into this hobby.

Unfortunately though, I only ever set up 1 AR636 in my life and, even as a seasoned pilot, I remember it being very confusing compared to other gyro or RX/gyro combinations. I hope you get the help you need but you can always go with 2 options we sell at Motion RC:

1. The Admiral Stability Plus RX/Gyro : https://www.motionrc.com/collections...xis-stabilizer - It pairs with any Spektrum transmitter and we have a pretty comprehensive video series on how to get her set up.

2. Pair any non-gyro RX with a Hobby Eagle Gyro - Not every RX has a gyro and not every plane needs one, but you can always get a stand-alone receiver, bind to you model and then add a separate gyro. These ones from Hobby Eagle work great and again, we have comprehensive videos on how to install them on our product pages. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...and=HobbyEagle

Hopefully, someone can chime in with info on your set-up, but either way I wish you all the best in your RC flying pursuits. It's not easy, but definitely rewarding.

Comment

Update: got tx and rx bound. Throttle (no prop!), elevator and rudder move as expected. Flaps move on switch D but backwards and at pos 0 the servos are still trying to push flaps farther down. Ailerons backwards (stick left=banks right) and swapping harness positions does nothing. Can't assign LEDs in rx port 6 to a switch on tx and landing light suddenly inop. Got throttle cut assigned to switch F to mitigate accidental spin-ups. Progress!

Comment

Another Update: with the expert guidance of Sean from Hobbytown we got the ailerons moving correctly, the flaps moving correctly, and the missing landing light was located deep within the belly. Still no switch to toggle those on/off, but did get dual rates on switch F. Tomorrow I'll follow his procedure for setting servo travel then hopefully maiden this thing before traveling the last half of the week.

Comment

Update, if anyone is reading: got servo travel set up, made a balance jig from garage scraps and located CG with battery, then had a fabulous maiden flight earlier this week. Plane handled beautifully in 10 mph winds, flew straight and level at 50-60% throttle without trim, and got 9.5 minutes above 10% on 4k mah/40C 14.8v pack. Went out again today and set low rates to 60/25 expo and hi rates to 85/35 all the way around. Plane flew excellent but winds gusting close to 20 made landing smooth landings a challenge, so I made a short day of it then sat back to watch the EDF jets play.

Comment

Your new right? First off just so you know I think we all are new I've learned things from everyone the biggest tip I can give you is

Keep an open mind and listen some guys at the field just want to get away from everyone and don't want to be bothered with helping anyone because they went through a brutal learning curve before all the simulator stuff they perhaps took all winter to build a kit and view foam aircraft as short cuts

It gets better when the turbine guys don't want to be bothered with the glow plug guys

But at the bottom of the heap are the drone guys they get no respect

The fpv and heli guys are like the hells angels of RC they stick to themselves and brake all the rules it's one great big show

As for your choice of planes myself I make it my business to not buy anything from hobbyzone or Eflite or FMS because the support and parts totally suck

And the props speed controllers and battery's suck even more I have learned this lesson repeatedly

Need a prop?

Backorder

Predator esc failed?

Too bad

Retracts broke?

Backorder learn how to land better

The only thing I use are spectrum radios and receivers that's it

I also happen to have a futaba radio laying around but the programming sucks

As for your winds try the windy app it's very accurate and will give you ideal days to fly preferably with head winds

Easier for beginners in this case anyone with less than ten years

Avoid wrong wind days saved allot of grief

I wish you well

Comment

This is what I was looking for

Comment

Working...
              X