P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good plane for someone who hasn't flown in 20 years.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good plane for someone who hasn't flown in 20 years.

I know someone who hasn't flown for about 20 years and I was wondering if they should get a trainer plane again, or go for a turbo Timber or similar plane. They don't have a transmitter, batteries, or a charger. They're looking for something around $350.

A little more background will help. Were they a fairly proficient R/C pilot? What did they fly or have the most experience with? The reason I ask is some of the WWII fighters are very easy to fly and they won't get bored as quickly after renewing their skills, if it lasts that long. If they were not that proficient before then maybe some sort of trainer type model may be the ticket. Also, how old are they. Some folks in the 70+ range start having vision issues and need something they can keep close without being too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
      A little more background will help. Were they a fairly proficient R/C pilot? What did they fly or have the most experience with? The reason I ask is some of the WWII fighters are very easy to fly and they won't get bored as quickly after renewing their skills, if it lasts that long. If they were not that proficient before then maybe some sort of trainer type model may be the ticket. Also, how old are they. Some folks in the 70+ range start having vision issues and need something they can keep close without being too fast.
      they were still fairly a beginner but they can do some basic acrobatic stuff. He is around 65 but doesn't have any issues with sight.

Comment

Some may consider a Turbo Timber a "trainer plane".

Comment

I don't have any experience with it but the Freewing Pandora looks like it may be a good "beginner" type plane that can be configured a few different ways.. The tricycle gear configuration may be good to start out with...

Comment

I have the Pandora and so do a few others on the forum. They are very good trainers in high wing configuration and great sport planes in low wing configuration as you advance in skill. I highly recommend the Pandora.

Comment

I just came back to flying RC after a 30 year break. I bought a Turbo Timber and an RC Sim. It's not as hard as when I first started 30 years ago (Self Taught back then)

I've had no issues with taking off and flying, but my landings needed work. I damaged the landing gear on both outings on the last landing. Note to others, when you say just one more, stop!. I'm over the hump now, but that's what I'm focused on.

So plane wise I would say anything that can fly slower. Had I spent a bit more time researching, I would have gone Balsa high wing, around the same wingspan as the Turbo Timber (1.5m/59"), so its easy to see. I'm 63, my eyes are not what they were 30+ years ago.

This is my first Foam airplane, and it does fly nice, but not as well as a well built Balsa plane. The advantage to the Foam planes in the class is value, many of them come with everything, or everything but the Transmitter and the batteries.

Also, find a really good place to make the first several flights. I have no good places near me so I go to an industrial area, and fly of a street over a big open lot. Curbs suck when your muscle memory for left right is rusty when taxing after landing lol. The Rc sim is a big help here.

Next plane will be Balsa. Would like to build one, but there's so few kits available, and I really don't feel like scratch building my second plane, so I will probably go with an RTF.

I'm totally digging electric power, I do not miss glow nitro one bit! Getting back into flying is just what needed as a fun hobby. Your friend will love it!

Comment

Working...
              X