X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheels?

what is minimum diameter wheels you guys use in short cut grass.

thanks.

JImmy
    Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

The answer to your question is not cut and dry. It all depends on what kind of plane you’re dealing with. If it’s a prop plane, is it a tail dragger or a trike gear? Is it a tractor type or a pusher type? How powerful is it? A tail dragged can tend to nose over easily if the wheels are too small. How small? That depends on the power. If it’s very powerful, even if it has small wheels, the power will yank that thing into the air quickly and easily. A trike gear is less prone to nosing over but the same about power applies.
    Is it a jet? A jet needs more power to get it rolling along the grass to get up to take off speed and hence, bigger wheels may be required. In spite of this, if the jet is powerful enough, it too, can blast itself into the air in short distance and it won’t need quite as big of wheels.
    Lastly, does it have flaps? Flaps will shorten the take off roll and smaller wheels can be used. As you can see, your question is too generalized and perhaps that’s why nobody has come up with a single answer.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      The answer to your question is not cut and dry. It all depends on what kind of plane you’re dealing with. If it’s a prop plane, is it a tail dragger or a trike gear? Is it a tractor type or a pusher type? How powerful is it? A tail dragged can tend to nose over easily if the wheels are too small. How small? That depends on the power. If it’s very powerful, even if it has small wheels, the power will yank that thing into the air quickly and easily. A trike gear is less prone to nosing over but the same about power applies.
      Is it a jet? A jet needs more power to get it rolling along the grass to get up to take off speed and hence, bigger wheels may be required. In spite of this, if the jet is powerful enough, it too, can blast itself into the air in short distance and it won’t need quite as big of wheels.
      Lastly, does it have flaps? Flaps will shorten the take off roll and smaller wheels can be used. As you can see, your question is too generalized and perhaps that’s why nobody has come up with a single answer.
      Now jive turkey, you know I'm not into jets. I'll never see 70 years again, so I gotta have something slow. I ran out of speed in its infinity years ago, as you well know. Goodness, these young fellows.

fellows ...............
      Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by skillett View Post

Now jive turkey, you know I'm not into jets. I'll never see 70 years again, so I gotta have something slow. I ran out of speed in its infinity years ago, as you well know. Goodness, these young fellows.

fellows ...............
        So, we're supposed to know this? Nevertheless, your age doesn't define what and how you fly. I'll never see 70 again, either, but I'm nothing like you. You want a better answer, ask a better question. Sorry, with the information you've given, I can't help you and it looks like nobody else has stepped forward to either. Being old doesn't mean you can't be succinct, give proper details or know how to ask a question. Good luck. I'll leave the rest up to someone else to take a wild stab at what you want.

Comment

Dang, diidn't mean to pull the wrong string, but the PT17 sTEARMAN 48" WINGSPAN IS THE ONE I GUESS I NEED BIGGER WHEELS ON.

THANKS.
          Jimmy

Comment

Xviper don't mean anything about this, just lost in translation of the typed word.

R.
            AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
            X