X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging R/C Aircraft

Hey all, I have been given permission by 'she whose authority exceeds my rank' to hang my Freewing and Flightline Aircraft from our basement ceiling. I was thinking nylon strapping with "S" Hooks and rings dangling from plant holder hooks. SHE was not amused. See the caveat is when these are hung, it should look good as the room is finished even though we don't really use it for much. So rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd get some feedback from the Squawk. Any intelligent thoughtful responses are excepted and others will be made fun of behind their backs. Thanks in advance. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

All my planes are hung using “arbour tape”. Another name for it is “webbing”. I get it from a place called Lee Valley Tools. Don’t know if you have those in the USA. Arbour tape is a kind of nylon braided flat ribbon, about 5/8” wide. Strong enough to hold up most weights of planes and is wide enough not to dig into the foam. Comes in about 50’ rolls in an earthy green color. Oddly, it’s made in the USA but has been discontinued. Maybe you can find something like it at a garden shop.

Comment

It's not nearly as modular as xviper's smart suggestion, but on some of my ceiling installs, say for a more permanent/prominent location for a showpiece plane in the corner ceiling, I mount a 90 degree elbow, into which a jet's tailpipe can slide. It worked well for the T-45. By playing with the angle, it looks like the model is either diving or flaring.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

xviper & Alpha I thank you both for the great suggestions. Since this is a ceiling only attach point I would be inclined to use the webbing idea possibly a bit wider. In any event, it is also possible she'll change her mind later today if I don't get something done quickly. Good to hear from you guys. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I did a video of all my planes a while ago when someone at the field asked me how I stored all my planes. Also if my house burned down, I can make a more calculated insurance claim. This is my garage and just one of 4 videos I made. It's the most cluttered of my plane rooms but it shows the different ways that I've hung up my planes to keep them more or less out of the way. I'm pretty sure your wife would freak if your basement looked like this. My basement is virtually my whole hobby room, so it's a lot worse. It's not finished.

Comment

Working...
          X