Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE! Carbon Cub S+ 1.3 M FLOAT Landing Gear

Hello everyone.
    Last summer, I obtained a "used - as is" HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M airplane along with the original "Owner's Manual." On page 101 of said manual, under "Optional Parts," I came across the part number: HBZ7390 Float Set. Upon ordering the floats for my "Used - As Is" HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M airplane, I was dismayed to see that the included landing gear do not fit my Carbon Cub. The included instruction manual is titled: Super Cub Floats instruction manual.
    My issue is that the landing gear included with the float set only fits the HobbyZone Blue Super Cub and the original Red Super Cub. There is absolutely no mention of the HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3 M in the instruction manual at all.
    Upon further investigation, I have discovered that apparently the "correct float landing gear" for the Carbon Cub were included in the purchase of a brand new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M airplane. Evidently, the intention of HobbyZone was to spur more sales of their floats, by the inclusion of that landing gear in the box with the new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M airplane.
    So not having purchased said airplane new, I am now looking for the correctFLOAT Landing gear for my HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3 M airplane.
    If anyone is able to help me out, it would be appreciated. If anyone has a set of the mounts that they would be willing to part with, I would be willing to pay for the purchase of them.
    Any other thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated too.
    Thank you very much for taking a moment to read this "Plea For Help!"
    Jim

I don’t have your plane but my experience with such things may be of some assistance. Have you inspected the float kit? Have you checked to see if, in fact the strut wires will fit your plane in the correct way and in the correct spacing?
    Here’s my experience ................. I purchased an Eflite EC1500 a couple seasons ago. This winter I wanted to fly it off snow and decided the get the float set for it. To my surprise, the floats for the EC1500 are for the Apprentice. The manual that came with the Apprentice floats said nothing about an EC1500. The float kit had some parts that were not needed for the EC but using some of the stuff that came with the plane and some of the stuff that came with the float kit, it all fit and works like a damn.
    So unless you’ve actually tried to fit those floats to your plane, don’t get too concerned that you may not have the correct float kit. I’m not sure which came out first ....... the plane or the floats (kinda like the chicken or the egg thing), but it doesn’t matter. I believe they made the float kit to fit on different kinds of planes. Just make sure you have the necessary bits from your plane that’s needed for the float add on. However, if you got the Cub used, it’s likely those little brackets and screws got thrown out. You may have to custom make some.

Comment

Hello xviper.

Thank you for taking time to reply here. That was very nice of you to do so!
      Yes, I do have the correct float kit for this plane (HBZ7390).
      Now, here is what the HobbyZone owners manual for the Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M - found on page 22 of the manual - says about "Flying With the Optional Float Set (HBZ7390):
      "To fly this aircraft off water, install the optional HobbyZone Float Set (HBZ7390), sold separately. Float struts, strut brackets and 4 screws are included with the aircraft. Rear bracket screws are included with the floats. Follow the instructions included with the optional float set to install them to the aircraft."
      My Problem is that I obtained the plane: "Used - As Is." Therefore, I do not have the: Float struts, strut brackets and 4 screws are included with the aircraft. Those are the items that I need to attach the floats to this plane!
      Note: I have not had any success with Horizon Hobby concerning this issue!
      That is why I am now on the "Forums" looking for someone that would have the "Float struts, strut brackets and 4 screws are included with the aircraft" that I need.
      As I understand, those parts were included in the box with a brand new purchase of the HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3M, and those parts are what I need to fix my problem.

So thank you again xviper. I truly appreciate the time that you took to share with me. I will need to keep looking for those parts.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, that's what I figured. Screws shouldn't be a problem. You can get those at a hardware or hobby store. The strut wire many actually be the same as the ones that are on the plane now but with the tires on them. If not, you could make some out of the same thickness of piano wire. The brackets may be a more complicated custom fabrication.
        I suppose you could also put in a "wanted" ad in the classifieds. People who have this plane and never intended to use floats may have just tossed the little parts into their parts bin. That's what was the case with my EC1500. Those little parts sat in their original bag for almost 2 years before I realized that I needed them.

Comment

Yeah, the screws are not a problem, I was merely stating what the manual said. Also, the other day, I did place an ad in the "wanted" section here, hoping for exactly what you mentioned. Just as an aside, I have been building and flying R C aircraft for 38 years now, also had an r c aircraft building service for a few years - to go along with my full time job and this is the first problem that I have had an issue with that is proving to be a bit more difficult to solve.
          I have considered making my own struts. However, the problem lies in getting the correct distance between the top of the floats and the bottom of the fuselage, for the correct angle so the datum line of the plane is slightly higher in the front than the back to produce positive lift on take - offs. I have a dehavilland beaver on floats that flies extremely well and I really would like to put this one on floats too.
          I did consider using the original "wheeled" landing gear, but they are not wide enough to accommodate the floats either. Also, if I did decide to narrow the distance between the floats to accommodate the existing landing gear, I am still left with that "angle issue" between the floats and the fuselage. Not much fun to attempt to take off of the water with an incorrect angle between the floats and the wing!! One can "taxi" at full power - even with up elevator and still have "issues" getting out of the water.
          I see this plane has been discontinued too, so that may not help with anything in the future either.
          Anyway, time will tell and hopefully someone will see the ad and respond in a positive manner.
          Xviper, you have been a gracious individual in lending a hand with this "project." I appreciate it and again, I thank you so very much for all of your assistance.
          As an aside, I live in southern Minnesota and I just noticed that right now, we have about the very same temperature. As they say, it is a small world some times.
          So thank you again. And if any other thing comes to mind, please feel free to stay in touch too.

Jim

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
            X