First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anemometers

Hello all,
    New to RC flying and new to the forum.
    My brother has about a year more experience than me and has two plains, one of which we've been trying to take out in this uncertain winter weather lately. We've been out a couple of times recently and I thought it would be nice to have an anemometer to give me a point of reference when trying to get a "feel" for the wind.
    Anyone use one when flying? Any recommendations?
    I'm just curious if anyone finds them useful?

Thanks

I have one for another hobby and took it to the flying field once, but realized that a wind sock is the best instrument. A quick glance gives you direction and close enough wind speed for takeoff and landing. I happen to fly next to a lake and the surface of the water is a good indicator as well. You can see the direction, 'close enough' wind speed, and gusts. I do think the anemometer will help get a sense of it. But again I think a well located wind sock might be more useful.

Comment

I got one some years ago and found that it was just easier to look at the windsock at the flying field. The anemometer stayed in the took box until the battery dried up. I never really used it. Even without one, it wasn’t hard to look at the trees and bushes to see what the wind was doing. Also, in most places, you can get real time wind reports via many, many weather type apps. One popular one is Windfinder. Then there’s “Windy”, Wind Compass, Weather Wunderground. In fact, you may have a weather station near where you fly that is linked to Wunderground.

Comment

Working...
      X