X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is our hobby?

You probably have said something like "my hobby is flying RC planes." But that's not really accurate. Your hobby is carrying things in and out of the garage, loading and unloading the car, driving to the field, assembling and disassembling planes at the field, connecting and disconnecting batteries to/from the charger and the plane, talking BS with other guys at the field, etc. Flying RC planes is like 2% of the time spent. It made me wonder what hobbies have the highest and lowest ratio of "actually doing the thing that is the hobby."

High ratio hobbies would be like:
    -- Fishing (it would be "low ratio" if it were called "catching", but since it's called "fishing", well, that's 99% of the time spent).
    -- Sailing
    -- Biking

Low ratio would be like:
    -- Flying RC
    -- Surfing (which would be more accurately called "waiting for waves")
    -- Skiing (which would be more accurately called "line waiting" or "ski lift riding")

Amateur meteorologist, particularly as it pertains to synoptic charts and wind​​​​​

Comment

Time-wise then, my RC-hobby is actually more like video-editing, rofl.

Comment

LOL - this is a great thread and really got me thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
          LOL - this is a great thread and really got me thinking.
          My hobby is buying/building/painting/fiddling/modifying/repairing (mostly repairing) RC planes, followed by BSing at the field. No time for flying, just a distraction from the rest.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
          X