X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Bench Table Top

Hi There,Hoping to take advantage of Cyber Monday. I'm considering picking up this electric sit/stand desk frame for my workshop, as I have trouble bending, sitting and standing. I'm not sure what to use as a table top?
    Just add your own top to our popular VertDesk v3 base to create an electric standing desk. We offer two color base options and eight sizes to choose from.

I heard a tip long ago saying hollow or foam core doors can make cheap, flat, disposable table tops. Maybe something like this but, I would think hollow doors could bow in the middle over time.

I rarely build, but even checking CG or balancing props needs a flat, level surface. I'm getting into larger scale planes so my current table is becoming a bit too small at 30"x60"x1". Any ideas?

And, I'd like to get it with locking castors. I wonder if I would need a way to make small adjustments to the top to level it since it uses two synced motors?

Also could use some advice on any rolling, pneumatic, padded stools?
    Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts!

AcesHIgh As an option, I don't know what size work area you have but: If you have a "hardwood" dealer near you, not just a lumber yard but a place where cabinet makers go to buy both hardwood and sheet goods. You can inquire about purchasing a sheet of Baltic birch that is 5' by 5', or whatever the metric equivalent would be depending on where you are. I have seen it in both 3/4" thickness and 1/2". Personally I would use 2x4s as "beams" under the ply for stiffness and something to screw the adjustable base to. You could level it between the ply and the 'beams' with wooden shims. And I would use the 3/4 ply for stiffness and durability.

I use both hollow core doors and half of my ping pong table for building. I like the hollow core door for messy projects or cutting stuff. I get the doors for free or cheap from a local habitat for humanity store. But I really like the size of the ping pong table, it's closer to 5x5 than the door obviously. I like being able to move around it so the one folded side is annoying.

As for the rolling chair I would recommend a wide range of adjustment. Maybe search for rolling adjustable barstool and see what pops up. I have used a stand up desk for work a few times, it's hard to find a chair that fits both a sit down desk and a stand up comfortably. I have one but I can't recall where I bought it and it doesn't have a label on it. It looks like more of a shop type chair/stool, so maybe I bought it from an industrial supply of some type, it's many years old.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X