Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I needed to fill my brain with something besides roman art and sociology anyways, lol.

Comment

Ace I started on a hobby zone super cub self taught to fly as there is no one else in my area that flys. Just my 2 cents worth but the eflite t28 bind n fly basic 1100mm worked great as a 2nd plane for me. Good size aileron trainer tough with plenty of power to help get you out of trouble and needs no mods just go fly.

Comment

My biggest issue is with something being pnp and me being new, I would have to shell out a bit more to get a decent charger and the required batteries. So I will probably go with the 1300mm BNF sport cub since it has everything else. Then when I get more proficient and am ready for my p51's(yes, plural) I will most likely get pnp start building a collection of accessories.

But all the tech talk really helped me out a lot. My biggest issue was the battery connectors and how they worked and such. But after researching, I figured out eflite uses ec3 and admiral the t connector, which will probably be the batteries I use. I now know how to make each battery work with each esc.

Since the super cub dsm I acquired is so old, I'll probably just use it to test out some airbrushing designs and stuff.

Comment

Good plan my super cub was the old dsm I got several years ago. I'm still using some of the old 2-3 cell chargers that came with my older parkzone/hobby zone planes they're not bad the t28 flys on 1800/2200 with the ec3 MRC has them or you can use an adapter.

Comment

Hey Gman,
            Sorry but I’ve been a little preoccupied in the last 3 days.
            Boise is the largest city near Marsing. Travel West on I84 about 20 miles to Nampa. From Nampa, go West on HYW 55 about 18 miles to Marsing. You have to have a fairly detailed map to even show a small town like ours. Marsing is in Owyhee County.
            I have a J3 Cub from Hobby King with an A3L in it. If the wind ever stops, I’ll maiden flight this girl. I’ve used Minwax Gloss on it and it looks good! I’m a little nervous about the 1st flight but I don’t think there is a full scale or model pilot that is not nerves before a maiden flight.
            Always fly in the middle of the air and stay away from the edges. Edges of the air are identified as trees, ground, water, buildings, etc.

Comment

I was very nervous my first time, would've been even without the wind. I probably started walking back to my car a few times before I said screw it and just went for it. Haven't looked back since :)

Comment

Well said Ryan that little micro cub is truly a nice flying plane that is true. But the reality here is going from that to a bigger plane changes everything. The little planes like the cub s gives a beginners a false sense of security ,making them think they are ready for a bigger plane or even the thought of a P-51. Once they try they crash and will get discouraged badly killing their confidence. If it was me and I wanted to go bigger I recommend the hobbyzone sportsman s+ or the apprentice start with one with the gyro and gradually go from their. The smaller plane teaches how the radio works and what to expect for the most part . But you do not have the fear of crashing and they float to well unlike bigger planes. rtwatkins does have a point building a flite-test plane is cheaper and they do fly well over all as long as your willing or the know how to put them together(they do make a great father son/daughter project ). Once you learn to fly like the sportsman S+ or apprentice with out the use of the panic button and gyro, you will find yourself good to go to a warbird. Take your time enjoy everything this hobby has to offer. The good the bad and all of the learning curves that will come up. Remember all enjoy the hobby and lets get girls/boyz into this other than video games!!!!

Comment

Hi ace184,
                  Actually I’ve been flying all last summer. I soloed on my Apprentice. I’ve put quite a few hours on her. Only tore it up ounce when I flew behind a school. Damn...... transmitter signal won’t go through brick and concrete........ anyway after a little CA’ and parts replacements this girl's back in the air. My J3 is about the same size as the Apprentice, but I want to fly it first without the help of the A3L. Yiks I’m on my own!!! May the Force be with me.
                  Always fly in the middle of the air and stay away from the edges. Edges of the air are identified as trees, ground, water, buildings, etc.

Comment

So I narrowed it down to 3, all BNF. I honestly have never used safe(except to test just in case) so I don't really see a need for it. They all have their goods/bads

Parkzone Sport Cub:big wheels for grassy takeoffs/landings, cheapest

Apprentice:mid-range

Sportsman s+:most expensive, a lot of safety features(maybe too many)

After one of these planes, I will start looking towards PNP and other things to progress more. Third plane will most likely be T-28 or maybe Corsair depending on how I feel after these.

Ok ok, add the BNF t-28 as a fourth option, lol.

Comment

Parkzone Sport Cub is best of those four if you're taking off of grass. Apprentice is our most popular BNF trainer for a reason. Sportsman... the wheel pants make it less ideal for grass fields.

BNF T-28 like Ryan said is a real winner. But your investment will be higher, and one thing none of us can quantify over the internet for you is the "pucker factor", i.e. how nerves will impact a pilot. I find that as the invested cost goes up, so does the pucker factor for most pilots.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I was also looking at the 1100mm t28. The only thing I see really different is the gear and no as3x and a few inches in wingspan. With it being the cheapest of them, I wouldn't feel as bad if it eats it. I mean, it is $80 cheaper than the bigger one with as3x. Could use the extra money to start a battery collection, lol

Comment

WooHoo. So i got the wifey's approval to use some of our tax return, lol. So here is what I came up with

Pandora or 1100mm eflite t28
                          Spektrum AR610(wont need with t28)
                          $100 Dynamite charger
                          2x Admiral 2200 3s

This way I will have a decent charger so I can start building my battery stockpile and focus on PNP planes. Does this sound like a decent way to go?

If I dont plan on using flaps, could I save a few bucks and get the AR400 receiver?

Comment

No flaps or retracts... yes you can go with the 4 ch RX. Setup has to be a little more accurate than using one channel per aileron, but we did the ailerons on a single channel for about 30 years.

Some planes that have the flaps, they are there more for looks than function. Others the flaps are a huge aid for landings. Nice to practice their use on a plane that doesn't really need them though.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by owyheeguy View Post
                              Hey Gman,
                              Sorry but I’ve been a little preoccupied in the last 3 days.
                              Boise is the largest city near Marsing. Travel West on I84 about 20 miles to Nampa. From Nampa, go West on HYW 55 about 18 miles to Marsing. You have to have a fairly detailed map to even show a small town like ours. Marsing is in Owyhee County.
                              I have a J3 Cub from Hobby King with an A3L in it. If the wind ever stops, I’ll maiden flight this girl. I’ve used Minwax Gloss on it and it looks good! I’m a little nervous about the 1st flight but I don’t think there is a full scale or model pilot that is not nerves before a maiden flight.
                              Okay, the wife says she's been there before but many years ago, so wasn't sure exactly where. May have to make a trip over your way in the Summer, I'll just have to see how things go, I'd be fun though!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

So I have made a decision.....finally.

Going with the 1100mm Eflite t28. Everything I've read has said is docile and a floater. Great low-wing "trainer." The biggest factor in my decision was price. At $200 with a $50rx, it is essentially a $150 plane. So I wont feel too bad if/when I crash. That, and quiet a few people in the club have them, so I will have knowledge a text away.

Along with the plane, I am getting the 100w dynamite charger, 2 batteries, extra prop, and ec3 connectors.

I will check my LHS for the prop balancer, if not, Ill order that online as well.

Did i make a good choice? Leave anything out?

Comment

That's a good choice I still have mine and occasionally fly it. It's actually the parkzone model the same plane new name. You seem to have a good plan just stick with it and you'll enjooy this hobby. You've covered the basic needs if you don't have a dual temp hot glue gun you may want to get one they're good for assembly and repairs also some foam tac. Forceps are very handy both straight and curved or angled plus a good assortment of small screw and nut drivers. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

That's what I don't have yet. All the little odds and ends like screws. But those will accumulate over time. Is there anything I should be aware of with this model? I know the gear is fragile. What about the hinges? Should I get hinge tape for them?

That could be why I wasn't finding much information besides a few reviews. I was looking under the eflite name.

Comment

I have not had any hinge failures but have had to reglue one of the main gear mounts to the wing. Also get a couple of the nose gear mount control arm assemblies they are plastic if you nose it in hard or hit something they will break. I like to fly it on a 1800ma battery but a 2200mah works pretty good also the 1800 makes it a little floatier allowing slower flight especially on landing. Both batteries will give you 6 to 8 minutes flight times or more if your easy on the throttle. It basically has no tip stall just a little mush over nose down at the stall and lots of power at full throttle. You'll enjoy this plane for a long time.

Comment

Ugh, my shopping cart keeps getting added to, lol. How are the stock wheels? Figured I could get some Dave Browns or Dubros while I am at it. How do I find out the size of the wheels?

I decided to get 1ea of the 1800 and 2200 to see how each flies and which I prefer. Also added some hinge tape and Beacon foam-tac. It is good to have an understanding wife. She even expressed interest in trying it sometime.

Comment

They're foam but ok for me not sure about the size. The foam wheels are nice and lite and do good on smooth asphalt that I fly off of. Mine are getting some noticeable wear on them but probably has over 100 flights on them. Maybe you can get her involved it's something you both can enjoy as long as you can afford it. Lol I'd try it stock first to save weight then change wheels later if need be.

Comment

Working...
                                          X