You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the hobby of flying RC planes really this stuffy?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the hobby of flying RC planes really this stuffy?

Here's a response from "a moderator" because I linked a couple of videos where a guy was modifying a foam airplane. This hobby is fun. Why can't I highlight fun and stupidly entertaining topics? Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230120_123935_Gmail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	367648
    Attached Files

Maybe it's just me, but I have never thought stupidity to be fun, or funny.

(For the record, I am not a moderator nor have I complained to one).

Comment

I think your question has the answer.

”Here's a response from "a moderator" because I linked a couple of videos where a guy was modifying a foam airplane. This hobby is fun. Why can't I highlight fun and stupidly entertaining topics?”

It wasn’t that he was modifying a foam airplane. It was the flying in an unsafe manner contrary to the rules of where he was flying, unsafe in general and unsafe in the eyes of the FAA, who is currently trying to regulate all types of flying we currently are trying to protect from over regulation.

Comment

I enjoy fun and funny, but it's like watching episodes of "Beavis and Butt-head". I suppose "stuffy" is in the eyes of those who try just a bit too hard to be "cool dudes" and just comes across as craving attention and doing anything to get it. Then that word "stupidity" comes into the vocabulary.

Taking a line from Kallend .......................... (For the record, I am not a moderator nor have I complained to one).

Comment

It appears it is indeed this stuffy.

Comment

Having fun is one thing. Putting others in harm's way may not be the best choice.

An overstressed and compromised airframe cannot be controlled safely.

Comment

Don't worry you'll still get your clicks...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                Don't worry you'll still get your clicks...
                But never again. Won't subscribe, either. Way too needy and pretentious.

Comment

Oh, I get it. You guys think I'm the youtuber. I assure you I'm not. That guy is named Garrett and Cleetus McFarland is a made up character. I honestly just thought RC Jet people might get a chuckle. Nope.

You were successful in getting me keep my opinions to myself. Sorry to disrupt your professional flying club. Haha

You guys shold keep it in perspective though. We build and fly toys...for fun.

Comment

I think a lot of people in this hobby are getting tired and more irritated every day by the growing danger of more restrictions, often triggered by incidents (which are not always caused by "stupid behavior"). I remember the incidents with drones around Heathrow airport for instance, where someone thought it would be cool to film airliners in the air from up close. It got everyone in the hobby breathing into paper bags.
                    In my club, we've had people crashing 2 models into a neighbor's garden....during a garden party on a Sunday afternoon. We came really close to getting shutdown completely, police and lawyers getting involved, and can still fly but with a serious restriction in terms of no-fly zone right in our approach path. That sure has redefined our definition of "funny" very quickly.
                    Personally, I've had a near-miss with a model, coming head-on while I was in downwind in a real aircraft. It passed only a couple of meters above my head, at a relative speed that would have blasted my windshield and my life for sure.
                    Just to explain why people don't necessarily jump around in joy when they see videos that some find funny, but they find it dangerous (to bystanders, but to the hobby especially).
                    We do have fun, and lots of laughs at our club, but things get very serious very quickly when somebody endangers the survival of our activities and our club. Does that mean we take things too seriously? No, not at all. But when we explain the context and the history, people understand where the reactions are coming from.
                    And yes, "endangering the hobby" is a very subjective assessment, I agree. But that assessment comes with a background and a history.
                    I think I haven't seen the video that caused this discussion (I watched one about a B2 on floats), so I can't give you my assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by AMcFarland View Post
                      It appears it is indeed this stuffy.
                      "Stuffy" is not an antonym for "stupid".

Comment

"Stuffy" is not an antonym for "stupid".

I tried to understand this comment. While true, it doesn't seem to make any sense in this context.

I understand the need for proper practices while flying near controlled airspace and in areas where other manned aircraft might be operating. I also understand the danger of flying over populated and/or occupied areas.

I didn't see any of these issues in either video I linked. I did see a guy whip some floats on a foam plane and test it out. Didn't seem dangerous or unsafe to me at all. It was over an empty field, from a storm water collection pond.

The second was clearly at an RC field and nobody was there except his group. He absolutely overstressed the plane. The outcome of which was completely predictable, but not unsafe or dangerous. The flutter he encountered was interesting, especially since it was sustained and captured on video.

Certainly not anything like riding dirt bikes in traffic.

I'm just disappointed with the reaction to these unserious videos and a pretty wholesome group of guys who took some time away from drag racing to have some fun with RC airplanes and make some jokes.

You guys can laugh at the unsurdity of a thing while still pointing out concerns.

Yeah, dissapointed.

Comment

All you have to do is look as the damage that some R/C airplanes have caused, especially people versus propellers. I've heard people in my own club comment that they could hold their props and stop the motor from turning. Fortunately, they've ben smart enough not to demonstrate it. Having fun is one thing, being stupid with something that can cause irreparable harm is another whether your in a car club or a gun club or anything else. A couple of years ago we had to rush a guy to Emergency because he lost an argument with a prop. Being dumb with an R/C model right now with the FAA breathing down our necks is not helping our hobby.
                          I'm glad we still have the right to fly our aircraft because it came damned close to being a lost cause because of people doing stupid things.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Time to UNsubscribe to this thread and use that ignore list again. He doesn't get it. He will NEVER get it. He's too busy trying so hard to be a "cool dude". I'm no longer going to give him the attention he so desperately craves. Everyone else should do same.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Grossman56 xviper don't unsubscribe, let's wait and watch...any bets? Respectfully, LB
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

really? the video has been pulled from youtube? is it because it was motionrc flying a plane through a pit shelter?

Comment

There have been three B-2 videos. One showed a person, not a Motion person, flying through a shelter. I don’t know which video you are referring to.

Comment

My posts linking the videos were removed from this forum.

Comment

He said removed from YouTube, that’s different. I still see a link to the float video.

Comment

Working...
                                        X