You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thoughts or ideas on a full repaint of FMS 1.5m P-47D razorback?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts or ideas on a full repaint of FMS 1.5m P-47D razorback?

Hi All: I have three of the FMS 1.5M P-47 razorbacks. For a while, I had some problems with two of them to get them back up flying again. Since there is such a dearth of spare parts available for this airplane, I ended up buying another one, just for parts. Now, with the other planes flying again, I'm thinking I might make this newest kit flyable, but in a different paint scheme.

The others that I have done have all been camo paint schemes. But this one, I want to redo in a NMF aluminum looking plane. Here's where my question comes in: how best to redo the surface for a smooth surface that will still look good in basic silver? You can hide a lot of defects in camo or dark colors, but not so much with a bare metal looking paint scheme.

1) I'm used to removing the stickers before starting a rebuild/repaint but was wondering how you guys cover over rough areas of foam left by the removed stickers? I've used various spackles and light auto body putty, but I'm wondering if there is a better way than what I've been using.

I have heard some guys talk about Minwax. I have never used it, but would be interested in thoughts how you apply it to get a glass smooth finish, or as close as you can get with a foamie. Any thoughts on techniques using Minwax as a preparation step before painting the entire airplane silver would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Davegee

Here is the 6-month journey transforming the Hobbyking RC Yak-11 into Czech Mate all in one place. While it wasn't technically a continuous 6 months of work...

Hey Dave,

I am very much looking forward to your journey into this silver paint finish.

The link above is a video the Chris Wolfe, The RC Geek has done.

I have used many of his techniques and believe his video will start you on your way.

At the least, it will give you some pointers on how one guy got the results he was looking for.

Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Davegee,

Thats great that your thinking of doing another P-47. Bob Johnsons Penrod and Sam would be a good choice for a silver version, also the Silver Queen - flown by many aces. This is the one I have done on my Yellow jug. Whatever you decide I'm along for the ride.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Originally posted by jetfool View Post
        Davegee,

Thats great that your thinking of doing another P-47. Bob Johnsons Penrod and Sam would be a good choice for a silver version, also the Silver Queen - flown by many aces. This is the one I have done on my Yellow jug. Whatever you decide I'm along for the ride.

Best Regards, Rex
        Hi Rex: that's EXACTLY what I have decided to replicate with this model, Bob Johnson's Penrod and Sam, his last P-47 mount before being pulled to come back to the states after his 28th kill. He had just surpassed Eddie Rickenbacker's total of 26, and the powers that be commanded that that is enough son, come on home! I look forward to this build this winter. This model was originally slated to be used strictly for parts, but now I will make a real flyable plane out of it. Since I have always done camo jugs before, this will be a refreshing new challenge. Stay Tuned!

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesRobertJohnson.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	390361 Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesPenrodandSam.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	390362

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dzX23ZQ0A

Hey Dave,

I am very much looking forward to your journey into this silver paint finish.

The link above is a video the Chris Wolfe, The RC Geek has done.

I have used many of his techniques and believe his video will start you on your way.

At the least, it will give you some pointers on how one guy got the results he was looking for.

Best, LB
          Hi Elbee: thanks for the tip! I have had a good relationship with RC Geek Chris Wolf over the years, and he has printed up several parts for me for jets and prop warbirds. I trust what he has to say and look forward to reviewing his sage advice!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Davegee,
            Callie has the graphics and nomenclature for the little stencils. Used them on my yellow P-47. Thought of buying the FMS P-47 but instead will finish my Skyshark TBM Avenger, Ordered the motor, ESC , and scale prop for the Corsair from Motion today to use. Guess this will be my winter project. Considered the FL B-25 but have seen reporfs of motors or escs having a few problems and don't want to hassle with that. I have several books on details of the P-47 if you need any thing I can post them.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Davegee,
              Callie has the graphics and nomenclature for the little stencils. Used them on my yellow P-47. Thought of buying the FMS P-47 but instead will finish my Skyshark TBM Avenger, Ordered the motor, ESC , and scale prop for the Corsair from Motion today to use. Guess this will be my winter project. Considered the FL B-25 but have seen reporfs of motors or escs having a few problems and don't want to hassle with that. I have several books on details of the P-47 if you need any thing I can post them.

Best Regards, Rex
              Thanks, Rex. I have been doing P-47s since about 2001, so that's one plane I feel pretty confident with! I really wasn't planning on buying this new model, but FMS has reduced or eliminated most spare parts that other planes have available. So, I bought it, as a parts kit, but now I've been able to get my other planes up and flying again and this one is just begging to be made flyable with a new paint scheme that I like. The FMS 1500mm P-47 has a few things about it that I don't like, but for the most part it is a good flying plane and the scale detail and outline is first rate, for a foamie. This will be my winter project as I'm up to my eyeballs finishing up the big space shuttle model and TDRS satellite that will go inside. I'll be very relieved to have that out the door! Hope to wind it up in a couple of months and ship it to Washington for installation in about a year or so.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Davegee,

I know you have been doing a great job on the shuttle. I enjoy going to aviation museums and I for one would like to see some behind the scenes of how a museum restorer goes about making the models come alive for us to look at. I remember looking at your P-47 in the Florida Museum for over an hour and was amazed at the details. If you have any photos of your process on the Shuttle please share them. I think
                others might enjoy seeing how it’s done.
                Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	side view of Fire Ball.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	390489
                  Davegee,

I know you have been doing a great job on the shuttle. I enjoy going to aviation museums and I for one would like to see some behind the scenes of how a museum restorer goes about making the models come alive for us to look at. I remember looking at your P-47 in the Florida Museum for over an hour and was amazed at the details. If you have any photos of your process on the Shuttle please share them. I think
                  others might enjoy seeing how it’s done.
                  Best Regards, Rex
                  Thanks very much, Rex. I appreciate that. The Yellow Aircraft P-47M that my partner Bob Frey from Phoenix and I flew in team competition for a couple of years was a lot of fun, some heartaches when we had unexplained engine failures halfway through our routine, but it was all good. We won quite a few competitions, too. I liked the unique paint scheme used by the 63rd FS of the 56th FG in the last 5 months of the war. It wasn't just for yuks, they called it officially "disruptive sky" camo, or something like that. And it was most certainly true when we flew the model. Sometimes you could just swear it "disappeared" for a second or two and then you'd see it again. Pretty unsettling! We had a nice ceremony to install Fire Ball in the museum around 2010 or so. I was down there last year to see the Artemis launch and checked in on it. Except for the plastic canopy yellowing over time, it still looked exactly as I left it when we installed it in the Valiant Air Command Museum in Titusville. Glad you enjoyed seeing it, too. Those .50 caliber guns that you saw in the open bay on display were completely scratchbuilt by me, about 20 pieces to each gun. But it was worth it. The brass rounds I got online somewhere, perfect for display on the ground. I think we removed "the whole nine yards" for flying due to the weight on that side, but put them back in the trays for ground display as you saw.

I do have a blog on Hobby Squawk in THE LOUNGE where I've been occasionally updating the NASM project I have been involved with for the past year with a few pics now and then. I'll update it again soon. Doesn't get much action viewing it, but maybe some people have enjoyed it some.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	Final Landing for Fire Ball at Valiant Air Command Museum Titusville Florida (8).jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	390486 Click image for larger version  Name:	041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	390487 Click image for larger version  Name:	020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	390488

Comment

Working...
                  X