X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new pilot takes to the air!

I became a new R/C pilot this weekend. Okay..... am starting to become.... I'm not there yet!

But I did begin flying. After a few months on the Real Flight 7.5 simulator, this weekend I started with the E flite Apprentice S. I'm happy to report 5 flights, all with succesful landings. Despite some wind (9 to 14 mph) I thought things went ok. As you know the apprentice has the SAFE technology. The first two flights we in beginner mode. The 3rd flight was in beginner for take off and landing but intermediate while flying. The 4 flight was all intermediate and the last was in the expert mode.

Here is my question today: Is flying in expert mode the same as AS3X or is there still more assistance in the safe expert mode than the AS3x technology gives?

I still have a LOT of flying to do before moving up to another plane (thinking pandora eventually), but I want to know how much assistance I'm getting with this plane that I won't have in another plane.

Another question: Is the AS3X in the receiver? If I move this transmitter and receiver to another plane, would that technology come with it?

Yes it is in the receiver but that receiver has been programmed and locked at the factory for that specific plane. Many people have tried to move them to other planes and lost the plane in a crash because it can't be set up for something different.
    Dewey l

Comment

Welcome aboard, MCO3024! Good to hear that you are off to a good start. You've come to the right place for RC. Great bunch of folks here.

Comment

thanks for the info Dewey, and the welcome prowler.

I guess I know not to try and move the receiver!

went back out today to practice landings. still a strong crosswind, so while I flew on expert, a couple times I bumped it to intermediate to help smooth out the landing.

a little later I flew again after the wind had died down a bit and it was much easier - expert mode all the way!

Comment

Congrats Mco! Sounds like your doing well. Have your knees stopped knocking yet and your heart rate slowed? The fun has just started, good flying!

Roy B.

Comment

MCO3024 Welcome to the addiction. The people here are more than willing to help. Never be afraid to ask any questions. We all had to start with a first plane and have lost a few along the way. However I doubt most of us have got our last plane. And we are still learning.

Comment

Welcome, you'll find that this bunch of guys and MRC will be a lot of help to you...they are to me :)
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Hello...My name is Lon, and I'm a RC Plane addict...
                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I don't know Lon, the grins on my mug after an awesome day of flying look a lot like that after Cannabis smirk and definitely like the after Meth when I wad one up!!
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hello Lon this is a safe place no one will judge you here.

Comment

That's great. It won't be long and you will have it down pat. The more I fly the easier it always gets. The biggest problem I always had was flying directly towards myself. No matter how much I concentrated I would always give the wrong input to correct. Then on day over 30 years ago and (forgive me I can't remember) here on the forum told me that which ever wing is dipping move the stick to that way to compensate. Wise words. I just hope you get as much enjoyment out of the hobby as I and all the other folks on this site does. BTW I forgot to welcome you on my last post so I am doing it now.😁.
                      Dewey l

Comment

Thank you all for the kind welcomes.

Dewey, after years running R/C cars, I'm ok with controls being opposite when it comes toward you.

Update: I took it out to fly again today. It was rather windy - the windiest day that I've flown yet. I shouldn't have flown, but I wanted to show someone the plane. A slight crash and a lesson learned.....

Comment

Here's another welcome from a budding pilot! All I did when I had my Champ (old 3 channel yellow one) was fly on windy days because I couldn't wait for calm skies. Yes it got tossed around all over the place, but I swear I'm a better pilot for it now because I learned how to make the adjustments to compensate. Of course, my first few flights resulted in some damage. But they're so easy to fix I was back up in the air the next day a lot of times.

These days it's smooth sailing for the most part. For the next step up I'd highly recommend the Parkzone/E-flite T-28 Trojan. Very forgiving and quite fun to fly. Pandora seems to be a good choice too though.

Whatever you choose, good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!

Comment

Thanks Dan! Funny you should bring up the T-28. I've decided on that for my second plane. I plan to pick it up Saturday.

As an update to my flying, I've been to the field 7 times this far. Not bad for just 2weeks....... After day one I have been flying the apprentice on expert. Even in some winds. I've been able to do some rolls and loops, but mostly practiced take offs and landings. So I'm gonna bite off another chunk with a new plane.

Comment

Great choice! Which brand/size are you getting? You'll have a lot of fun with it I'm sure.

Comment

I purchased the 1200mm version with flaps and retracts.

I'm headed out for its first flight in about 1/2 an hour.

Looking forward to keeping it in one piece!

Comment

Maiden flights on the T-28 this evening. WOW! This plane was fun....and so stable. It went right where you pointed it. I found it easier to land than my apprentice. Sometimes the apprentice would be hard to get on the ground because it just wanted to float.

​​​​​​I put 4 flights on her tonight and was very pleased.

I have not worked with the flaps yet. I only have her on a 5 channel radio at this point. Planning to pick up a 6 channel next week.

Comment

Congrats on your maiden the T28 is a really good flyer. I still fly our old Parkzone 1100mm on occasion.

Comment

Congrats on the maiden.
                                      Dewey l

Comment

Great news on the T-28 maiden. Good job! Sounds like you're well on your way. :)

Comment

Working...
                                        X