X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in Aviation

I came across this article on CNN yesterday about women in aviation. It is not nearly as complete as most of us know it could be, but it is a good starting point for discussion and I was happy to see a national news outlet talk about one of the many unsung groups of people whose dedication to and passion for Aviation really helped propel the entire industry forward. Xplaneguy and Evelyn painted one of their FlightLineRC P-38s into a WASP scheme, and that really resonated with me. We often talk about the aces in the pilot seat, but there are so many groups whose contributions were equally as critical. Maintenance crews, factory workers, armorers, ferry pilots, engineers, etc.

More than 100 years after Harriet Quimby broke down barriers as the first woman to earn a pilot certificate, there are still very few women who choose flying as a career. Now, there’s a move to change that.

For more information on WASPs:

I know of a couple of our customers whom are related to women in the aviation world. One was a WASP ferrying Grumman aircraft in World War II, one is a technical adviser for Ratheon to this day. Do any of you have ties to women in Aviation? Share your connections and stories here!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

My childhood best friend's mom was a riveter, she built Helldivers, the Beast that George Bush the elder flew during WW2.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

As I remember the stories about GHW Bush, he was flying the AVENGER when he crash landed, not the HELLDIVER. Is that right??

Comment

I believe you're correct, Voodoo. George HW Bush was shot down while flying an Avenger. VT-51, if memory serves? I remember reading his story and JFK's. Both harrowing wartime sequences of events.

Speaking of Helldivers, I'd love to see one in foam electric one day.

Comment

I can't swear to it either, but it seems like I've heard it referred to as the plane that he flew, have to do some research....

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

How about the recent story of the restoration of the B29 "Doc" and the women that riveted the fuselage when it was built and now helped restore it! Great story!

Comment

Welcome to the forum miatateer!!
              I've watched some of the videos of Doc, WOW what amazing airplane, now we have two in the air!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Back in the days of the space race, "computers" were people — often women — who performed vital calculations. Hidden Figures tells the stories of the women who got some of the first men to space.

The ultimate in aviation. :)

Comment

Here's a cool connection. Sue Parrish (Pink P40 Hanging in the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michigan) was a WASP pilot and co-founder of the AirZoo. My grandfather and her along with many others used to fly in airshows together. Grandpa used to sneak up on her 6 and tic tic tic (simulate guns) on route to different shows.

Those ladies were amazing. different times for sure. Sue could ferry warbirds but when trying to get a job flying commercial was rejected. Mad respect to lady pilots and assemblers.

Salute!

Comment

Major respect to those women. The majority were went unsung, and I was reading that many didn't receive the benefits they had been promised during wartime. Nevertheless, their contributions are immeasurable, simply immeasurable!

Comment

Another female pilot who shouldn't be left out is Patty Wagstaff. It wasn't until I just got a 35% Extra 260 that I became curious about the full scale version which was the plane that Patty flew to many of her aerobatic championships. The original plane she flew is now on exhibit at the Smithsonian. https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/extra-260 Patty has been awarded many aviation honors. She currently has a flying service in Florida where she teaches aerobatics. http://www.pattywagstaff.com/bio.html
                      Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Thanks for pointing out Patty Wagstaff, jackcutrone, and welcome to Hobbysquawk! Yes, Patty is an icon in many aviation circles. She flew at Oshkosh last year and put on a show! I admire that she dedicates so much of her time to teaching new generations of aerobatic pilots. I believe she's in her 60s now? Still flying the envelope like a 20 year old.

Comment

Hey, I oo would like to take the opportunity to say welcome to all the new faces!!
                          Great to have you aboard and I hope you enjoy the time you spend here in the Squawk!
                          Good luck in the contest!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Svetlana Kapanina is another fun one to watch. World Aerobatic Champion in the women's class 6 times.

Comment

Today is Bessie Coleman's birthday. Thanks to Google for the reminder! For more information about this daring and passionate pioneer, see the link below:

Comment

Very interesting read Alpha, thanx for providing that.
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Women have been flying aeroplanes as long as men have. Starting with Katharine Wright, sister to Orville and Wilbur. Mabel Hubbard Bell, wife of Alexander Graham Bell, Colonel Eileen Collins the first women to pilot the space shuttle. For anyone interested in women and aviation there is an interesting book entitled "Stars of the Sky, Legends All". It covers many women pilots over the years and the challenges they have over come in the world of flight.

Interestingly Patty Wagstaff also wrote a book about her life entitled "Fire and Air", this is also an interesting read for anyone who may have an interest in her life and aerobatics. Mentioned above the Russian aerobatic pilot Svetlana Kapanina an incredible aerobatic pilot of world class standard.

During WW2 women were used as ferry pilots in the UK to fly aircraft to the airbases where the aircraft were required. They would fly four engine bombers as well as fighters, more often than not single handed.

A point of interest maybe. My daughter is named Amy, after the British women pilot Amy Johnson.

Martin.

Comment

Great thread. I recently read East To The Dawn - The Life of Amelia Earhart by Susan Butler. A great read and wow what a woman, what a pilot, what a pioneer. Some of the best pilots on the planet were and are women.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Don't you love those who transcended the stereotype! We have to remember that Amelia and a lot of others like Jackie Cochran for instance also had to battle that 'weaker sex' thing and ' a woman could never handle an airplane that big'. In the next decade, they were flying everything from Piper Cubs to Super Fortresses!!

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                      X