X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to

I'm new to RC plans and I just pulled the trigger on a Champ RTF. From what little research I've done, the champ looks to be a good starter plane for the price and handles lots of crashes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to Hobbysquawk! Did you order the yellow Champ RTF, or the red and white Champ S+ RTF? Both are difficult to destroy completely, although they will still crash! Stock up on spare propellers, watch our flight videos, read the Beginner Guides, and search online for an RC club near you to help get you started.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Beginner Guide with a bunch of articles to help get you started on the right foot:

Interesting discussions on all topics related to RC airplanes, helicopters and drones.

Welcome to the hobby! You'll love it.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I got the yellow RTF and 2 extra batteries. Thanks for the info. I will check these out.

Comment

So I had a little trouble with the rutter not working when I first pulled the plane out of the box. It worked one time then quit. I called tech support and they said to take the plane apart and look at the linkage and possibly free it up. After several attempts it started working. So that was a good lesson. Second lesson for the day was... It to windy! Flying the plane for the first time on a windy day was a challenge but I only crashed twice with no major damage. I will definitely wait for a calmer day to fly but I will have to say that it was easier than I thought. The Forums are great with a lot of knowable people. I've been reading all morning as I am new to this hobby, it really helps. The Motion RC beginners guide had a lot of helpful information. Its a great place to get started as it covers a lot of the basic and gives meanings to a lot of acronyms that were totally over my head. The plane itself is very user friendly. I cant wait to gain more experience on the Champ so That I can move up to a war-bird.

Comment

Welcome Mike, glad to see you on the forum. I hope you win that F-16. I would love to test fly it for you...;) So you got the rudder working on your Champ? What ended up being the problem? Glad you got a chance to give it a go. Welcome to one of the most fun, challenging and rewarding hobbies on the planet and to one of the best online communities in support of it.

Steve

Comment

Hi mike. I'm new here too but I've been flying for a little while. U got the hobbyzone champ ? About $100 , that one ? I got one too . their so light ,slow flying that I've crashed mine many times in the neighborhood grass revetment,stuck it in the surrounding trees a couple times and it still fly's ! Ur right about they don't fly well in any wind at all ! And don't be too disappointed if not real smooth flying it, those tiny super micro servos aren't real smooth moving. With those tiny wheels I find it difficult to do a good landing, as soon as it touches down mine usually noses over.in the grass its like doing the softiest crash landing I can ! If u want to continue, As soon as ur ready, move up to a "full size" airplane. Their easier to see and MUCH smoother flying! My next plane was a apprentice with "safe" system and I love it ! Very easy,smooth to fly. In safe mode will take off and land itself, u keep it lined up and apply or decrease power to take off or land. This is my anytime airplane,if its been awhile, if it's windy,new flying site, pulling streamers.
            anything I can help with just ask, , , mike B

Comment

- I took the plane apart and messed with the linkage on the servo. It would stick about every third time in the down position. I moved it to free it up and it started working and I have not had a problem since.

@Mr B - Yes I got the Yellow RTF Champ. It looked to be a good starter plane for the price and all the reviews and forums said it could take a beating and keep going. My first flight was in a church parking lot and it took right off with no problems. I kept it up n the air for about 2 minutes before the wind pick up and brought it down for me. After that the wind was to much. I tried to take off from the ground and the wind would pick up the plane and turn it over. I did get one more almost successful flight after that. I about lost it in the trees. My 5 year old son was with me so he was more than happy to find it. I m looking forward to a bigger plane. I have already pulled the trigger on a Delta Ray with safe tech. So for from what I have read it will help me at least start flying with a little more control and hopefully ease me out of the beginner modes into the more advanced. I'm already looking at the bigger war birds with duct fans but they are just on the wish list for now. I have looked at the apprentice as well. I went with the delta ray for more of the jet look. After yesterday tho, I'm definitely hooked. I have always wanted a plane but they were to crazy to build in years past. Technology and foam has come a long way and the price is reasonable now. I will let ya know how the delta ray does when it arrives and I get it up in the air.

Thanks

Mike W

Comment

Mike , I had a delta ray also. Its a good plane and the safe system is the way to go in my opinion. Did u buy it rtf ? One thing I Learned is if ur going to continue in hobby buy a good 6 channel transmitter, one you can store different planes in, that will save u a little $ each time u buy another plane (get the bnf instead) u won't have a tx for each plane to keep track of, batteries to put in each one. My spectrum DX6 I can program so the same switch to do the same thing for each model. My planes with flaps all use the same 3 position switch on my tx, hi-low rates all use same switch, I can assign a switch as a throttle cut off so as soon as I land I flip the switch so if I accidentally bump throttle stick nothing happens. I watched a man land,turn to talk to friends release his tx to hang from his neck strap, this pushed his throttle open and his plane started to take off ! We yelled and he was able to get control as it took off and he saved it ! I sold my delta ray cause with my vision it was too easy to lose orientation without a normal distinctive tail section. But it was a good flyer and neat twin sound. It would do all the loops,rolls and inverted flight. But no knife edges as it doesn't have a rudder it uses motor differential instead.
                mike B

Comment

Originally posted by warnernc View Post
                  - I took the plane apart and messed with the linkage on the servo. It would stick about every third time in the down position. I moved it to free it up and it started working and I have not had a problem since.

@Mr B - Yes I got the Yellow RTF Champ. It looked to be a good starter plane for the price and all the reviews and forums said it could take a beating and keep going. My first flight was in a church parking lot and it took right off with no problems. I kept it up n the air for about 2 minutes before the wind pick up and brought it down for me. After that the wind was to much. I tried to take off from the ground and the wind would pick up the plane and turn it over. I did get one more almost successful flight after that. I about lost it in the trees. My 5 year old son was with me so he was more than happy to find it. I m looking forward to a bigger plane. I have already pulled the trigger on a Delta Ray with safe tech. So for from what I have read it will help me at least start flying with a little more control and hopefully ease me out of the beginner modes into the more advanced. I'm already looking at the bigger war birds with duct fans but they are just on the wish list for now. I have looked at the apprentice as well. I went with the delta ray for more of the jet look. After yesterday tho, I'm definitely hooked. I have always wanted a plane but they were to crazy to build in years past. Technology and foam has come a long way and the price is reasonable now. I will let ya know how the delta ray does when it arrives and I get it up in the air.

Thanks

Mike W
                  Mike, I am pretty jazzed that you figured out the problem with the Champ all on your own and we're actually able to fly it. That is a great first step. Congratulations!

Steve

Comment

Steve- I figured if I mess it up too bad, I would just bring you the pieces with tears in my eyes and beg for help... LOL

Mike B- Thanks for the info. Yes the Delta Ray I got has a DX4 transmitter. The next purchase in going to be a transmitter of at least 6 channels. From reading thru the forums here and conversations with a friend of mine, a good transmitter is in order. I don't want to be that guy that shows up with a transmitter for every plane that I have. I have looked at the DX6 and I will probably go with that one. The programing a switch for the throttle is a good idea. I hit the throttle on the champ after it crashed when I was putting the battery back in A Transmitter is definitely next on the purchase list. My plan is to build a plane from the from the ground up, with help of course( Steve) LOL. Now when I say ground up, I mean but plane with no electronics/ motors ect and put in what I want and go from there. I think that would help to understand a lot about how every thing is wired and get me some experience to better trouble shoot down the road.

Thanks

Mike W

Comment

No need for tears as they can almost always be fixed and I am glad to help in any way.

Comment

Hey Warnernc welcome to the world of RC !! If not already you will hooked and become a Junkie like the rest of .......

I was noticing your NC are you in North Carolina ?

Bryan
                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Hi Mike,

If you are intersted you will find a breif review of the Hobbyzone Chap S+ at this link.

​​​​​​https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...byzone-champ-s

Martin.

Comment

Hey Mike

Sounds like your gonna be in the hobby awhile! If the hooks of flying are in deep, then you might as well plan for your future, and skip the DX6 and go right to the DX8. You wont need all those channels at first, but believe me they come in handy down the road.:)

Saving money on equipment in the beginning, means more money for planes in the future :D

Jeff

Comment

I am trying really hard to set the hook. Took him flying with me at the club field on Wednesday. ;)

Comment

Hippie 64- Yes, North Carolina is correct. I'm just outside of Asheville.

Martin- I have looked at the Champ S. A friend of mine- RCjetdude has the Apprentice, and I think is close to the Champ S if I'm not mistaken. I've been looking at a lot of planes and there are a few I would like to have. I currently have the Yellow champ, and just recently purchased the Delta Ray. I haven't had a chance to fly the Delta yet. I'm hoping the weather will be good tomorrow morning so I can try it out. I went with the Delta Ray because of the Jet look and I also wanted to try out the SAFE technology to see how it works. Before its said an done I will probably end up with the Champ S as well.

Jeff- Good point on the DX8. My son and I were watching videos of RC planes that drop parachute people and he's was really excited about that. The extra switches would be useful for that. It will probably be tax time before I pull the trigger on a new Transmitter. Funds are low now and Christmas is not helping.. LOL. Thanks for the advice tho!

RCjetdude- The hook is set. Looks like I'm in for the long haul.

Comment

So I caught a break in the rain today to go fly. I loaded up both the Champ and Delta Ray. This was going to be the first time flying the Delta Ray. I took 3 of my kids and they were about as excited as I was to see this thing take off and fly. I loaded the van and had to make one stop before I got to my flying spot. I get the kids and plane out of the car and ready to go when I realize.... I have no battery:dodgy:. Its on the table at home... But it was not a total loss. I had batteries for the champ and I did get to fly for a few minutes before it started raining. I only crashed once. Landing is still very tricky but I think I'm getting better with the turns. I was able to keep a circle pattern for at least 2 minutes. So... Note to self. Need to make a pre- take off with planes in car check list to make sure I have batteries!! :p. LOL

Comment

I got all the way to the field one time and realized I forgot my transmitter if it makes you feel any better. Let me know if you want any help with the Delta Ray, getting it trimmed out and such. We're you able to get the radio set up? It came with the DXE right?

Comment

I learned RC flying on Hobbyzone Champs. All 5 of them are still flying and in good shape. I've reconfigured and repainted one into a parasol wing and another into a low wing. Both open cockpit. Fun little plane. By the way... I've flown mine backwards in the wind many times. Even got out of a dog fight with an Osprey (bird not plane) unscathed! Doc

Comment

Working...
                                      X