You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the worst CRASH you ever had? Let us see your photo.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grossman56
    replied
    I've often thought that my Grandfather saw a lot of changes, but, as you say, I've seen records made of a glass-like material with Al Jolson on them and they played at 78 RPM, to vinyl, 45's and 33 1/3 EP's and LP's to 8 tracks to cassettes to CD's to digital downloads. To the point that I can have every record I've ever owned all on the convenience of a machine that I can carry in my pocket.
    Not to mention this dang thing I'm typing on, my dad, who passed in 1971 at the age of 41, would have been gob smacked if he could see this thing!
    Go figure
    Grossman56

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    That reminds me of when I crashed and burned Pandora One. Lots of smoke!! I had killed the ESC and it burned the foam around it almost all the way through.

I really thought that was the end of her, even ordered another Pandora ( Pandora Two). Got her home and started digging, fill the hole with Gorilla Glue, patched her up and she's flying to this day. She's the red, white and blue one that I showed on this thread after the elevator servo started being weird again and wouldn't let her climb. Patched back up yet again and new servo installed, flies extremely well.
    Let's face it, we all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots!

Grossman56
    HA! I've never thought about your quote: We all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots! Words of wisdom there, that's a very true statement. A lot of people forget, it all had to start somewhere. We were the Ginnie pigs of the hobby, back when you built the "Transmitter as well". We didn't have CD's, we had vinyl. We didn't know about PNP; because it never was available like it is today. We have a lot we take for granted, so a good quote; should be addressed! Thank you, for sharing Grossman56. Matt

Leave a comment:

• Grossman56
    replied
    That reminds me of when I crashed and burned Pandora One. Lots of smoke!! I had killed the ESC and it burned the foam around it almost all the way through.

I really thought that was the end of her, even ordered another Pandora ( Pandora Two). Got her home and started digging, fill the hole with Gorilla Glue, patched her up and she's flying to this day. She's the red, white and blue one that I showed on this thread after the elevator servo started being weird again and wouldn't let her climb. Patched back up yet again and new servo installed, flies extremely well.
    Let's face it, we all become better craftsmen long before we become better pilots!

Grossman56

Leave a comment:

• wvrailfan
    replied
    Well, technically, it wasn't actually my crash, but I was in charge so I have to claim some credit. I was letting my then 13 year old niece fly my Parkzone T-28. She was actually doing well just doing some lazy circles around the club field. The plane started to lose a little altitude so I suggested she give it a little elevator to climb just a bit. She mistakenly pushed the stick forward and from about 70 feet the plane dove straight in at about half throttle.

She was crushed and near tears, so trying to play it off I told her not to worry, I had crashed it before and her crash was likely no worse, and that I'd just glue it back together and fly it again.

Then as I looked out to the crash sight I saw smoke, a lot of smoke. I said, "well, this is different" and we headed out to the middle of the flying field. When we got there the plane was pretty much gone from the cowl forward. Apparently the crash had either damaged the battery or caused a short which caused the battery to burst into flames.

I and another club member consoled my niece by telling her she had "by far the most realistic and scale looking crash at the club. We would be proud if our crashes were as exciting and real looking as hers." Not sure she bought it, but she did at least smile.

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by LesHurricane View Post
    I've had better days!!!
    Ah, man! Yeah, that's a hard one to swallow. I've done something similar to that. I flew my trainer into a wall! I'd just landed, a few minutes earlier and then came around the same ally way. What I did was missed judged the depth of the opening between the road ally and, the building. I have a great video! Well, maybe some glue & sand paper- you can at least repair that one? Cheers, Thank you, for sharing. Matt

Leave a comment:

• Grossman56
    replied
    Yep, I'd say so. We found that the fuse break point is a weak spot, nothing that a little Gorilla Glue/white or Foam-Tac. From what I can see, it's repairable though, WINTER PROJECT!!

Grossman56

Leave a comment:

• LesHurricane
    replied
    I've had better days!!!

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Beeg View Post
    My worst crash. A couple years ago I got a Habu32 and put these new "recommended" HV Digital servos all around. They were new to the market. Should have waited awhile for better quality control. Anyway, was doing a diving high speed low pass across the field at 6-8 feet at the most, plane was really moving 100+ and just after it passed the pilot area it snapped hard right roll into the ground. After collecting all the trash and seeing what was salvageable,not much, I was inspecting all the components to try and figure out what happened. The right aileron servo smelled burnt and you could see slight burning where the wire comes out. Taking the servo apart revealed more shorting and burns. Best guess it failed full up. If you have a Habu32 you know that it takes very little control throws all around especially at high speed. I tried to get Horizon to rectify the issue and at least give me a new servo but they just gave me the run around. Been reluctant to deal with them ever since. That crash cost me about $800. Maybe I should have taken it up with Spektrum since it was their servo.
    This event sort of scared me. What if I was turning through the flight line and it failed? These things are little fiberglass missiles. Could have really hurt someone if it happened at the wrong time.

Lesson learned: Avoid if possible a line of flight that even points across the flight line. Especially fast fiberglass planes. I know we have insurance but just think how bad you would feel if your model hurt, or even worse mortally wounded someone?
    Yes, that is one of the worst thing that could ever happen to a hobby pilot. I know there have been serious accidents, it part of any sport. The preventable one are even more serious, but a Manufacture selling poor quality should be notified quickly. Yes, I'd have asked Spektrum to multiply their quality control. Hard to say if it would help or not. Just good to hear, you did learn what can happen with a flying missal. Glad you weren't hurt as well. Thank you, for sharing your experience. Merry Christmas. Matt

Leave a comment:

• Beeg
    replied
    My worst crash. A couple years ago I got a Habu32 and put these new "recommended" HV Digital servos all around. They were new to the market. Should have waited awhile for better quality control. Anyway, was doing a diving high speed low pass across the field at 6-8 feet at the most, plane was really moving 100+ and just after it passed the pilot area it snapped hard right roll into the ground. After collecting all the trash and seeing what was salvageable,not much, I was inspecting all the components to try and figure out what happened. The right aileron servo smelled burnt and you could see slight burning where the wire comes out. Taking the servo apart revealed more shorting and burns. Best guess it failed full up. If you have a Habu32 you know that it takes very little control throws all around especially at high speed. I tried to get Horizon to rectify the issue and at least give me a new servo but they just gave me the run around. Been reluctant to deal with them ever since. That crash cost me about $800. Maybe I should have taken it up with Spektrum since it was their servo.
    This event sort of scared me. What if I was turning through the flight line and it failed? These things are little fiberglass missiles. Could have really hurt someone if it happened at the wrong time.

Lesson learned: Avoid if possible a line of flight that even points across the flight line. Especially fast fiberglass planes. I know we have insurance but just think how bad you would feel if your model hurt, or even worse mortally wounded someone?

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
    The worse crashes are the ones you don't learn from.
    Excellent, well said. I can certainly say; I've learned from every crash. M/Christmas guys! Matt

Leave a comment:

• TiredIronGRB
    replied
    The worse crashes are the ones you don't learn from.

Leave a comment:

• Grossman56
    replied
    I'm hoping Charlie has some before and after pics of the Sea Fury, that was an amazing repair job as well.
    My Spitty had the nose ripped right off, but cleanly, the P51 did its usual thing and peeled out the L/G and broke off the prop blades and the Pandoras elevator servo went weird again! That was the last straw, I never crack a Pandora up, well not in a long time. She just went to the end of the runway, finally got off the ground with full back elevator and skipped into the sage brush, peeled her gear and did a number on the leading edge of one wing.
    Came home, dropped off the broken ones, loaded up with more planes and headed back to the field. Much better results that time.

Grossman56

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdogzrc View Post
    LX MiG-29. I had just finished a cuban 8 and was on a straight line out when my TX did a total lockout and in she went. She hit the side of a gully and pretty much turned into confetti. I miss her and that was the best $80 I had ever spent on an airplane.
    Maybe Freewing can release a twin-80 MiG-29? That'd be awesome and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
    Ah man, Yes, I remember that model well. It's the LX version of the mig 29; nice jet too. I'll do that, a mig 29 is a popular jet, I think we or myself. I forget about a lot of the cool airplanes out there in the world. I remember the EDF was slightly week, but all of them back then were pretty much just flyable. Now days, they'd make one that light, go vertical no problem. Especially if F/W decides to make one, it will be a nice jet with all the details. "Did you read this" Design guys? Hint hint, I'll get it to the right people. Merry Christmas! Cheers. Matt

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
    Here is my Dallas Doll. An aileron locked up in full throw, I lost control and down she went. I had no idea what had happened until I got to the crash site and discovered the stuck servo

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0767.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	55587

But in no time I had it glued back together and flying again.

Name:	007 (2).JPG
Views:	469
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	55588

Amazing the beating these foam planes can take and still be repairable!
    Wow, if you sanded and painted this model with a little TLC. It would look brand new again. It's amazing how durable EPO really is, I would have never been able to repair it back like you did. I'm so picky, it would bother me to know it's been broken in half. But, it's really not a big deal, so what it's been broken. Now it's fixed, get over it, I tell myself. Sometimes I'm cool with it, just takes a few days for it to sink in. Especially, losing a new model, ugh I can't stand that. I really try to keep mine looking new. Great Pictures, thanks for sharing. Super Repair too! Matt C/S Rep. This will be a good one to show others!

Leave a comment:

• Topdogzrc
    replied
    LX MiG-29. I had just finished a cuban 8 and was on a straight line out when my TX did a total lockout and in she went. She hit the side of a gully and pretty much turned into confetti. I miss her and that was the best $80 I had ever spent on an airplane.
    Maybe Freewing can release a twin-80 MiG-29? That'd be awesome and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Crunch
    replied
    Here is my Dallas Doll. An aileron locked up in full throw, I lost control and down she went. I had no idea what had happened until I got to the crash site and discovered the stuck servo

Name:	100_0767.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	55587

But in no time I had it glued back together and flying again.

Name:	007 (2).JPG
Views:	469
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	55588

Amazing the beating these foam planes can take and still be repairable!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by OV10 View Post
    Gmans story is just another reaffirmation of the reason I have over the past couple years become a hard core convert from balsa to foam.
    Bottom line for me - "Foam Bounces Better Than Balsa"
    Ah man, I can tell you how many beautiful models I had. That barely rolled over on take off, that literally disintegrated. Especially the nitro motors I had on war birds. I know, I will always like Balsa & ply, origins are hard to replace. Now, with the invent of EPO. I can have a mistake and, still get away with it. Balsa, 9.5 out of 10 times, your back to the work bench. I remember fixing models out of wood, going to take off; then the tail section would fold up. So many splinters or broken wood glue areas with Balsa & plywood. I love mono-kote though, it's a liter feel when flying. If you know what I mean. I guess for now, both have their place. EPO is the next revelation in my flying repertoire. Matt out!

Leave a comment:

• Grossman56
    replied
    Amen to that, remember Black Saturday at the field?
    The upside is that each one of these airplanes is back in the air.
    Cost? Some glue and filler with some paint work. wallet dent=nothing

Grossman56 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	55565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8832.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	55566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8824.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	55567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8830.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	55568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8827.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	55569

Leave a comment:

• OV10
    replied
    Gmans story is just another reaffirmation of the reason I have over the past couple years become a hard core convert from balsa to foam.
    Bottom line for me - "Foam Bounces Better Than Balsa"

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Bajora View Post
    My worst crash in the last few years was my beloved Freewing 80mm Mirage. My eyes started deteriorating as I entered my late 40s and I fought getting glasses for some time. I had the Mirage in the landing pattern and was turning downwind to base on a day with gusty winds. She was rocking and rolling a little and at only about 75-100 feet of altitude, I blinked when I should not have. I corrected the wrong way with the ailerons and BOOM! The blue camo/gray scheme was a little challenging with my less than great eyes ... Fortunately, as is often the case with foam models, it was not as bad as it looked AND MotionRC always carries spare parts! With a new fuselage and a few other spare parts ordered, I had her back in the air in a few weeks. The one thing that DID stink though was that it trashed the battery.

Yes, I had an experience with the Mirage 2000. I had my Ailerons set to 5/8th of an inch throws. I'm sure, just with that being said you know how that was to fly! I took my eye off to put up the landing gear. I guess I moved the stick about an 1/8th inch, because next thing I see is a Drill spinning. That jet rolled so fast, I'm surprised it didn't come apart then. I got really luck, as I was able to push full down stick and, she started going back up. Then, I gathered myself and brought it closer to where I could see it. A gyro the A3-L is the ticket for that jet. Makes it a lot more fun to fly. Thank you, for the story; nice to hear other people's flights. It's something we never talk about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X