X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P40 b 1400mm

I am new to the rc planes have had many hrs on simulation. .I recently bought the p40 b 1400mm my question is how to find the cg..right side up ..upside-down wheels in wheels out..any help would be appreciated. .

Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I always CG my low wing fighters with the gear down and upside down.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I always check if raising the LG affects the CG, and how much, then set the CG with the wheels in the position that shifts it farther aft. You don't want a tail-heavy plane, either in the air, or when landing.

BTW, if you haven't flown before, the P-40 is NOT a trainer to learn on. Because of the relatively short fuselage length, pitch can be hard to master, and it will stall at what you may think is a good landing speed, especially when turning on final approach. The left roll on takeoff is also something that many simulators do not capture well, and inexperienced pilots will re-kit a warbird on the first attempt.

Comment

Hello Bobnweave and welcome to the Squawk,
        If your comment as to "new to rc planes" means that you have never flown one yet then I will absolutely and emphatically concur with WintrSol's statement that this P-40B is not a trainer and not an airframe to learn on. I see it all the time where a new pilot rushes to fly that cool looking warbird without having developed the skill set necessary and ends up being frustrated due to set backs in repairs and cost. A simulator is a good training tool but it is not a replacement to the actual hands on the bird in the air experience of actually controlling factors such as P-factor(torque), crosswinds etcetera. A full scale pilot just doesn't hop into a warbird the first time out, they have to train and work up to that level and so do RC pilots to a certain extent. I am sure that many others on this forum will advise that you should walk before you run and start with a "trainer" type plane. Please take this as sincere advice for you to succeed and enjoy the hobby for the long haul and hopefully develop the passion like the rest of us have for our planes.
        With best regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Welcome Bobnweave!! To their point I would also highly recommend not starting with those particular planes. Go to this link and put in your Zip Code to find any RC Clubs that may be nearby as most will have a Trainer Program and or willing to at least guide you along the way. Also check out this model as many have used it to teach themselves if no Club provides the necessary training. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...6-wingspan-rtf This model includes all the items needed to get started and has helped many launch a successful start into the world of RC. Of course we at MotionRC are only a phone call away @ 224-633-9090

Comment

Welcome Bobnweave! I have to concure with everyone else. The P-40 requires a good skill set which you won't get on a simulator you need hands on with a good trainer which Wayne at Motion pointed out, or my personal favorite the Pandora 4 in1. With that you can start out in the high wing configuration and advance to low wing tail dragger to get ready for warbirds. Good luck!

Roy B.

Comment

Hey Bobnweave! Welcome to the forum from me as well.
              I did the same with the FMS P51, the first plane I bought, then had some second thoughts and got a trainer. SOO glad I did. I too (as well as many of us) have a Flight Sim and its a great tool but its not 'Real Flight" as they would like you to think, It's good for getting muscle memory and a certain amount of control coordination. The 'crawl, walk, run' theory applies very heavily to this hobby, so do yourself a huge favor, get a trainer, like the E Flite Super Cub SE or an Apprentice and start out there, then, you can go to a Pandora and fly the stink out of it. As Lon once famously said,"When you can take off and land the Pandora 50 consecutive times without any mishaps, then you're ready for warbirds. Took me two seasons of flying to get the warbirds into the air and even then it was a step upwards as they land differently than a Pandora. Start there my friend and you'll have a great time learning the Hobby and take every advantage that local clubs have to offer, that's the way to success in this hobby, try flying that P-40 (I have one) and you'll end up with a pile of scrap EPO Foam and most likely walk away in disgust.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
              X