Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say glad to join. I have some experience with a Rc aircraft mainly Cp helis,but really not enough experience to be good at it due to having too many trees where I reside. I gave up on it and Rc aircraft for about three or four years.Then a couple of years ago I came across Quadrotors while on the interweb and been flying it since,but now I have been thinking about Rc airplanes quite a bit lately and I hope to get into the scene one day.

Welcome to Hobby Squawk, not a lot of quad talk here but some of us love the micro quads (Inductrix, H36 and such)...I like to mix the two, FPV in a plane.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

If you are going to get an RC airplane, get the biggest foamie high wing trainer ou can afford. Electrics are simpler than nitro or gas at first though lipo batteries and charger can cost a bit. I thought I would start small with ultra-micro's and save money, but it was a mistake, in the long run it doesn't save money - you end up spending money in parts and repairs and the little ones are too twitchy for a new pilot. Preferably, the trainer would have a gyro stabilizer in it. I taught myself to fly on a Horizon Hobby Supercub. It took a lot of crashes, and a lot of repairs, but eventually I learned to fly. I flew it for a year and kept a record of all my flights and crashes. After a while, the only original part on the plane was the landing gear. But I learned to fly with it ad repairs weren't oturageously expensive. Then I started moving up to bigger and faster planes. In the beginning, slow is better. fast gets you into trouble before you can learn to correct.

Other advice - don't be afraid to ask people for help and advice. Find yourself a club, go visit their field, hang around and if it's a good club, people will be happy to be helpful. And there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers. Don't be shy. Someone will probably be willing to buddy-box you to help you learn. That's where two transmitters are working together to fly a plane. The instructor has ultimate control but can give control to the studet but then take it back, if the student starts getting into trouble.
      Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Welcome to Hobbysquawk DroneFlyer! I started very much in the same way. Started with airplanes, gave up due to not being able to find places to fly, and learned Helis. Do you still do Helis or just quads now? One of the game changers for me was the Hobbyzone champ. It is a tiny, super light plane that can fly just about anyway. If you have any prior basic experience, you'll learn how to fly it in under 10 minutes. And it's so light, that it hardly damages it when it crashes. Just a nice, cheap simple flier, and it opened up the floodgates for me.

Comment

Welcome Dronflyer! If you haven't already go to this site and put in your Zip Code to find any Clubs in your area that may be able to provide some guidance if you need it. http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Comment

Those little quads are fun and FPV with an airplane would make me dizzy after being used to FPV on a quadrotor. And I would definitely start with an electric trainer with a gyro stabilizer,and before I purchase my fist one I would check out a club,or find someone around my area that flies airplanes. And I can relate to some repairs,some costly and some not too bad with my Cp heli. And no I kinda gave up on helicopters for now I'm just sticking with my quadrotor since it basically takes care of the hard parts of flying. And yeah I would want something that's not gonna cost an arm and a leg for replacement parts. I was kinda of eye balling the hobbyzone sportsman s+,but when I decide to buy I'm gonna do quite a bit of research. Thank you folks for your suggestions and the welcomes!

Comment

Working...
            X