X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best beginner plane

Hello Im new to this group and new to the hobby, I would like an opinion of two planes that you would put in a new beginner with no real flight time but has simulator time. Choices the mini apprentice or the pandora free wing. My name Cclark10 and your comments and opinions would be valued.
    Thanks

Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I recommend the Dynam Hawk Sky, they are tough and easy to learn on...oh and inexpensive.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Welcome Cclark10! The Hawk Sky is a great choice...I loved my HobbyZone Champ when I had that to fly around in front of my house. Very docile, slow flyer. Great to learn on. Our Beginner and Trainer Plane section is loaded with great trainers to consider. If in doubt or any questions, post them here and/or feel free to contact our awesome Customer Service Team. They're here to help! Also, our Knowledge Blog is a fantastic resource as well. Good luck!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Thanks all
        The champ is a little small, my eyes aren't that good so I do like the hawk sky videos, will this plane work with a FS ct6b radio and 20 amp ESC combo ? My son fly helis and quads and have a spare. And does it handle wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Cclark10 View Post
          Thanks all
          The champ is a little small, my eyes aren't that good so I do like the hawk sky videos, will this plane work with a FS ct6b radio and 20 amp ESC combo ? My son fly helis and quads and have a spare. And does it handle wind.
          The radio and receiver should be fine, I've flown them is 15 mph wind before, I use them to train new pilots and for a FPV platform as well.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

And does it handle wind.
            At this stage, whether or not it handles the wing is somewhat irrelevant. It wasn't that long ago that I and several other guys started together as "beginners". We'd go out to the flying field and if the wind was too much (and anything more than a light breeze was deemed too much), we stood around and watched others fly or went home.
            Even the tiniest UMX planes can handle a surprising amount of wind due to their AS3X stabilizers. I've flown them in winds over 20mph. Most of today's new planes can easily fly over 20mph. The biggest challenge is, "Can the pilot fly in 20mph winds?"
            You want something that is relatively stable, forgiving when you "bang" the sticks too much (and you will), can take a few rough meetings with the ground and have enough extra left over in its flight envelope so you can grow a bit with it. Any of the current renditions of Eflite or Parkzone planes with "SAFE" can help you learn and develop your confidence. As you get better, you can turn the SAFE off and it's like a whole new adventure.

Comment

Thanks Xviper that's why I was looking at the mini apprentice because of the safe technology, last year a friend buddy boxed me on an old apprentice, that lit
              the torch for me. Thanks for the encouragement

Comment

Thanks Xviper that's why I was looking at the mini apprentice because of the safe technology, last year a friend buddy boxed me on an old apprentice, that lit
                the torch for me. Thanks for the encouragement
                If the old Apprentice is still flyable, you could install a new receiver out of an Apprentice that has SAFE in it. The key is to make sure all the switches have been set up correctly to give you all the functions. I've seen improperly set up switches on those SAFE planes that makes for an UNflyable airplane. Mind you, a new receiver may be more money than it's worth. Probably better value to buy a brand new BindNFly plane with SAFE. Another option is to take the suggestions already made and install a cheap stabilizer like the HobbyEagle units with the "recovery mode" into it. It doesn't have SAFE as such but it will help you fly with more ease and give you a bit of a "life boat".
                I have one of these in a plane and it works reasonable well. Take a look at the video on this page.
                At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

Unfortunately the old apprentice moved with my friend, I'm thinking the mini apprentice rtf, I read a few threads on this site where a few people had the apprentice s and still enjoy flying them.

Comment

You cannot go wrong with the Mini Apprentice. That was my first plane getting back into the hobby after a 2.5 decade departure. It has the SAFE system, great for re-learning. IMO it had plenty of power, I have flown in 20+ winds without any big problems. It is very acrobatic once you go into advanced mode. It will fly inverted, loop, you name it. you do not need a manicured lawn to take off, small enough for little parks and powerful enough for fun at larger spaces. The only thing I do not like about the plane is the battery door underneath with a little twist catch. If you get into this one, you will not be dissapointed.

Comment

Hey Clark10 and welcome to the forum !!! Not sure what you set your budget at but if you can go with the bigger version . Not to say that there is anything wrong the Mini and its 48" in the wings but bigger is better . And find a Teacher Pilot to assist you . Join a local club and there will always be someone willing to help and pass on knowledge . Go luck and keep us informed .

Bryan
                      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Thank Y'all for the welcome and great advise, this site is great. I have a park a few blocks away from me. I can practice take off and landings with the mini apprentice until I can get with a club and instructor.
                        I think I will upgrade the minI when I am experienced enough. Just want to fly. Thanks Put Put, and Bryan
                        Chris or Clark10:shy:

Comment

The Mini is great, and was my 1st plane back into the hobby. About a month later, I grabbed a Corsair, and now have 5 planes lol. Had to get a couple of mini umx planes for really small parks, and just got the 1.2m P-51 that I have not flown yet due to weather. To be honest, the Mini Apprentice is still my favorite. Yea the Corsair is a blast, but that darn Apprentice is just fun, and slow flight characteristics are so nice it is just fun and relaxing.

Comment

Picked up a Mini Apprentice for my nephew for Christmas. He has flown the Champ, and wanted to try something a little bigger on his own. I'm confident you and he will both enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                            X