P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That negative feeling or the doubt monster.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
    I just tried to fly again today and I cirbed it again. No idea what the hell is going. Everything is kosher on my bird directions etc. The only thing I can think of is I am trying to use my 5000mah packs instead of my normal 3000 and its just to much weight for it. I got about 75 feet into my roll out and went to 3/4 throttle and she would just not lift and veared into a snow pile :( Its gotta be the battery. So odd maybe its all mental. I have never had a issue with this bird ever. It flies like a dream.
    If the plane is a lot heavier than normal because of the bigger battery it will probably fly differently and may struggle to get off the ground. Try going back to the smaller pack and see what happens.

Comment

I just tried to fly again today and I cirbed it again. No idea what the hell is going. Everything is kosher on my bird directions etc. The only thing I can think of is I am trying to use my 5000mah packs instead of my normal 3000 and its just to much weight for it. I got about 75 feet into my roll out and went to 3/4 throttle and she would just not lift and veared into a snow pile :( Its gotta be the battery. So odd maybe its all mental. I have never had a issue with this bird ever. It flies like a dream.
      AK........a simple resolution is go back to the 3000 and see if control issues still exist.
      The 4000 I use is right on the threshold of trading flight time for performance. That 5000 is another 5oz heavier than the 4000 and is 8oz heavier than the 3000.
      Did you adjust battery location to keep CG correct??
      If I had to take a stab at it, you didn't and thusly your really nose heavy and that is causing the nose gear to skew more so than normal due to the inherent slop in the steering system and then your in the ditch. :Scared:
      Best regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

If the plane is a lot heavier than normal because of the bigger battery it will probably fly differently and may struggle to get off the ground. Try going back to the smaller pack and see what happens.
        I agree. Another thing to consider might be the age of the pack. If it is an older pack it might have difficulty with the colder weather as well, even if it performs fine in normal conditions.

Comment

I worry about people cars and building so much as well. I dont know how you guys fly where you do. What if your plane went into a car or caused accident? what about if it crashed into a one of those building and started a fire? I could care less about my plane I care more about hurting someone else or starting a giant fire and burning down a school or something lol. Thanks guys glad I am not alone.
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Thanks for all the tips on the t28. I think it is the larger pack at fault. I did adjust cg for sure. Packs are all less than 20 cycles and were purchased last year from MRC. Flew the doors off the FL seafury though today. Tore threw the wind with ease it was fun on the downwinds. I bet I hit over a 100mph lol
            AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Ha ha, this came immediately to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H89XiE7GWao
              That is exactly where it came from! I really like the first 3/4 of that movie!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                Since these are RC models and we do it for fun, if you're not having fun put them away. Why suffer through something if it makes you feel icky or you are not enjoying it and it's a choice? If it is your job you knuckle down a work through it but most of us don't fly RC for a living. I've loaded up and headed to the field thinking the joy and excitement will come, got to the field and started unloading and promptly stopped and loaded back up and headed home. I've got plenty of other things to do than trying to force a good time.
                Perfect take on the subject - I like to keep a plane on the bench that needs work (always seem to have one) or start building a new one - keep it fun!

Comment

The negative feeling, I believe this can be true of almost everything including flying. However the exact opposite can be true as well. You have the feeling you are going to have a great day flying. Everything feels right, the weather, the model, and you as the pilot. Then when you fly everything goes wrong, and this can happen for several reasons. Over confidence and complacency being the main ones. It's all to easy when you feel good and everything is going your way to get over confident and take it all for granted.

Martin.

Comment

Agreed :). There's definitely a difference between ego and confidence. Letting Ego take over to a point of becoming overconfident and complacent can spell disaster. Confidence often comes with proper progression and repetition.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                      Agreed :). There's definitely a difference between ego and confidence. Letting Ego take over to a point of becoming overconfident and complacent can spell disaster. Confidence often comes with proper progression and repetition.
                      So true. In my earlier years I let ego dictate a lot of my flying until I realized I wasn't as good as I thought I was so it was time to get serious and progress properly through training and education. It was then that I was able to enjoy the hobby while improving my stick skills and knowledge appropriately. These days I am far more cautious than I ever used to be with my models, but alas, I still will take the occasional risk or push it just a bit because that's living life!

:Cool:
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Training and education is the key. If you do not have someone to tell you what you are doing wrong, you will only perfect your mistakes. You need to know where you'er going wrong and why, and also how to prevent it from happening. Recognizing the issues before they happen is half the battle.

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
                          Training and education is the key. If you do not have someone to tell you what you are doing wrong, you will only perfect your mistakes. You need to know where you'er going wrong and why, and also how to prevent it from happening. Recognizing the issues before they happen is half the battle.

Martin.
                          You also must pick and choose carefully whom to listen too. I've seen and heard some pretty dumb stuff come out of the "peanut gallery" in the pits. I'm not sure if that's what this thread is about though. While I'm pretty competent and knowledgeable as far as a R/C piloting goes there's just some days I get that uneasy feeling and stay on the ground. Past experience has proven that as a smart move in my case.
                          Mike
                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Or how many of us crash a plane and that ends our day even if we have other planes yet to fly? I can't remember the last time I crashed a model, and decided to keep flying my other models I brought. When I crash, my day is done, period. I am highly superstitious that way.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

You also must pick and choose carefully whom to listen too. I've seen and heard some pretty dumb stuff come out of the "peanut gallery" in the pits. I'm not sure if that's what this thread is about though. While I'm pretty competent and knowledgeable as far as a R/C piloting goes there's just some days I get that uneasy feeling and stay on the ground. Past experience has proven that as a smart move in my case.
                              Mike
                              Very good advice here. Spend some time getting to know who knows their stuff and who "thinks" they know their stuff. Every RC field has that one pilot who gives everyone advice on their flying, but crashes every time he is at the field.

Comment

Yesterday I had a situation. I really wanted to fly my 1400 t28. The roads had cleared of snow and I took it to my spot. We had huge gusts of wind 20-30mph but for some reason I was gonna fly lol. I throttle up and for some reason on roll out my t28 shot right at a severe angle and plane went into a snow bank. No damage other than pride. I cleaned out the snow from the prop area and went home. Now today I am doubting my flying skills.
                                Don't doubt your skills - just your sanity LOL - keep in mind "go fever" can get you into trouble - as well as spring fever - use your intuition - I am guilty of flying in conditions I had no business flying in too - we are all a little nuts anyway - just get back to it - next time the weather is bad - just work on one of your benched planes

Comment

When I first started out I was jonesing to fly so badly that I said screw it, despite the wind storm, I am going to fly my new plane (It was a Parkzone F27Q Stryker) come Hell or high water. So I walked the 2 blocks to the small park (littered with trees mind you) and hand tossed it where I proceeded to watch it be thrown violently into the woods comprised of 150ft+ tall evergreen trees parallel of the park. I never did recover it.

Oh did I mention the winds were 60mph? :Silly::Loser:
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Very good advice here. Spend some time getting to know who knows their stuff and who "thinks" they know their stuff. Every RC field has that one pilot who gives everyone advice on their flying, but crashes every time he is at the field.
                                    LOL! And he never brings a plane and you never see him fly but is ready to expound on every single model everyone else brings and it's pro's and con's!

Comment

LOL! And he never brings a plane and you never see him fly but is ready to expound on every single model everyone else brings and it's pro's and con's!
                                      A while back, I was the new guy in the club. There was a guy, boy could he talk, give advice on everything...My first thoughts was "This guys got to be good!" but...time proved he was the best at talk. To this day, when i see him fly...my thoughts are "This guy needs some help"
                                      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I listen to everyone, but that doesn't mean I have to believe everyone. :)

Luckily in a hobby like this it quickly becomes clear who to believe. There are some very soft spoken people I fly with, who are wellsprings of knowledge, and conversely, there are talkabouts who just talk. But there are talkabouts who know tons, too. It cuts both ways, all ways. It just requires some discernment to determine who knows what, and when. I'd like to think I'm an expert in certain things, but I'll be the first one to say I am an absolute NOOB when it comes to many, many other things. If I'm speaking about something with which I have an authoritative viewpoint, I'll try to make that known to the listener and from there it's up to them to take it for what it's worth or not. If I don't know what I'm talking about, I learned long ago there is no shame in saying "Actually, I don't have a darned clue, do you know more about this and if so, would you please teach me??"

Listening, learning, teaching. They are inseparable, if they are to be individually maximized.
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

We call them "Penguins"

Mike
                                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Working...
                                          X