X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am a noob, dont judge me...

Just opened an account, have plenty of 2wd and 4wd, I think its about time to tinker with some rc airplanes...

crank

Hi Crank. Welcome to R C Flying. I have been flying r c for over 30 years and I still enjoy it immensely. There has been so many changes in r c over those years, it is truly amazing. But one thing never changes and that is that: once the airplane laves the ground, it is on its way to a landing!!
    Enjoy and have fun.

Comment

Welcome to both of you to the Squawk............and your absolutely right corsair but here's another way for crank to see your point.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings ARE mandatory. LOL
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Also, takeoffs are usually easy, but landings without damage are harder. Start with a slow trainer, with low wing loading, and work up.

Comment

Hi, your coming to the light keep coming over. I am training my daughter on the Hobby zone S+ she is 11 years old. I wished I had one of these when I was learning how to fly. No crashes no fly aways and no buddy box needed. This will take you from beginner to an intermedium pilot. I have been flying since 1991 and this plane can do some basic aerobatics easily. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...tice-s-15e-bnf

Comment

OV10, WintrSol make good points and the plane that bradl4648 pointed out would be a good choice.
            Usually, a good trainer has a high wing, light wing loading and is capable of flying "slower :Yawn2:than the speed of thought."
            A good instructor will be a huge asset also. The instructor should be patient, understanding, able to listen to the student and also capable of asking the right questions of the student - at the right time, just the same as a good class room teacher does. Anyway and after all....., every instructor was a newbie at some point and never knew how to fly either............., until they themselves Learned!! :corsair

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. I have been playing with three different apps on my android, and also got a computer sim coming in the mail to polish my virtual flying skills. Some of the apps can be adjusted for gust winds of all kinds, weight of airplane, power, and although is never the same I can tell I am getting better.

One of the issues coming from rc cars, is its been pistol grip all the time from frequency to binding setups, last time I use a stick Tx was many many years ago... So besides been a new platform, the mechanics of the controller also makes it difficult.

I was exactly looking for that rc airplane, the Apprentice S 15e. My plan was to buy the FLysky i6. No worries for lipos as I got all kinds, and digital chargers, brushless motors of all flavors from 1/8th to 1/16th.

The motors could be compatible, unless the ones for airplanes have a unique can.

Comment

Hi again crankestein.

You are most welcome for the responses. You mentioned the use of a pistol grip transmitter and "transitioning" back to a stick transmitter. Although that May be a bit of getting used to again, all is not lost, as you already have a good handle on the concept of "control reversal." That will help you a lot - and good for you!! I have seen new pilots, who have never done anything with R C at all, really struggle with the control reversal thing. Obviously - when an r c plane is going away from you, left is left and right and right is right..........., until the plane is coming towards you and left is right and right is left. I have seen new pilots actually turn their back to the plane coming towards them and then turning their neck around as far as they could, so it looked to them - sort of - that the plane was actually going away from them - where left would be left and right would be right. Eventually the concept began to "click" and they did not need to turn their back so much....., until they were able to stand facing "forward" to control the plane!

It is still interesting to me to see how far "Flight Training" has advanced over the years with the uses of various technologies. I believe a sim is a good thing to use and practice with. Back when I learned, there weren't even any buddy boxes - where one transmitter was physically wired to another one! I learned via the HTTBAFM (Hand The Transmitter Back And Forth Method). I am certainly glad that we had no fumbles during the hand-offs!!!!! As a matter of fact, when I learned, it was so long ago that there was not even any electricity back then! We had to watch our color television by candlelight........... ;) :corsair

Comment

Hey Crank and Corsair, let me add my 'welcome' as well !!
                  We've all come from humble beginnings, I personally have been flying for three years now and, aside from the hobby itself, was lucky to find HobbySquawk just as I was getting into it. There are an amazing group of people here, ready at the drop of a hat to help you along the way to the point that feels as if we have our own Flying Club to fall back on.
                  (Actually, we do, it's called the O.F.W.A [Old Farts With Airplanes]) and we get together every once in a while, places like Joe Nall, and Nefi and various other fly ins across the country. Proof: wherever there's an R/C Flying event, there will be an Old Fart With an Airplane.

Am I right !!??
                  And a little plug for Motion R/C. They are the most awesome bunch of guys you ever want to meet, or deal with. Customer service bar none, hope you've checked them out and also the Motion R/C You Tube channel with Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike. They keep us up with the latest planes coming down the tubes as well as build vids and how to's.
                  Enjoy !!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Hi Grossman.
                    Thank you too for the welcome here!! :Cool: It is much appreciated. Kind words are always nice to hear! This seems like a great site and I am glad that I discovered it. Seems like a lot of nice, interesting and helpful people here!!

Oh, you mention Joe Nall........, now that has to be quite a wonderful fly-in. Maybe some year, I will be able to attend as it just looks awesome. I am also an EAA Member and get to Osh Kosh for the full size fly-in every year. That is a hoot also!! OH, I, as you have and will continue to do business with Motion R/C. That is where I purchased - among other things - my F4U Corsair from!! And when I had an issue with one of the retracts on my Corsair, Customer Service sent me a New Pair at no charge! Yes, the plane was relatively new then, however as one who believes in and has lots of experience in Customer Service within different industries over the years, I believe too, just as you, that Motion R/C certainly believes in the total concept of Customer Service!! Good Customer Service increases the bottom line and is very tough to beat!!!!!

And I see that you are from Cody, WY. My wife and I are heading through next year. Anyway Grossman, thank you again for the welcome here. :corsair

Comment

Yes, and another beautiful day here in Cody by the looks of it. The snow is finally melting (again) off the mountains as Friday we had yet another cold spell blow throw. Yesterday started off beautiful and did the change every 15 minutes thing. So off to the field with the Tigercat in an hour or so, just letting the temp get up to tolerable.
                      The boys here are great as you will come to find out. The wife and I are just in the midst of getting ready to head for Muncie Indiana to AMA HQ for Nefi next month (June 16,17 and 18). A bunch of us are going, its a great way to get to know some of the guys on the Squawk. If you guys can make it, you're more than welcome.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Well, the weather here is very cold and windy today. And we have been getting so much rain lately too! The other day, as I was driving into work, I think I saw someone back up in a valley and building what looked like an Ark......, and I thought I saw animals walking over towards it, two by two.....................!! ;) Anyway, that looks like you will have a great time in Muncie. My wife does not have any interest in aviation, so you are a lucky guy there :Cool: But she does enjoy riding on our cycle and she even had a few of her own for awhile too. So, I thank you so very, very much for the 'invite" concerning Muncie and Nefi, however and at least for this year anyway, it won't be happening. My wife is still working full time and I am still working part time. I see that you have about a 22.5 hour trip (one way) ahead of you, if you are driving! That is quite a hike............, so please do be careful and drive safely. Thanks again for your kind and interesting words here. It is nice to see your comments!! By the way, please allow me to introduce myself. Hi there, my name is Jim. :corsair

Comment

Its been a few months since I started this thread and something did strike me which I did not pay much attention...

"that this hobby is very addictive"

I need to admit it, it is so true, every time a rc airplane magazine arrives on the mail my wife reminds me I got enough airplanes to crash...

I will need to talk to some of my buddies or resort to craigslist to buy more, je je!

Before I left home set the receiver and tx battery on trickle charging, weather is perfect, cant wait to get off from work.

Comment

[QUOTE=crankestein;n98795]Its been a few months since I started this thread and something did strike me which I did not pay much attention...

"that this hobby is very addictive"

And another one bites the dust...

Welcome to the illness :)

Comment

Working...
                            X