Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Newb

Hey all,

I'm hoping to pick up an E-flight Apprentice as my first plane in a few weeks. This has been something I've wanted to get into since I was a little kid (parents never really bought in to the whole plane thing). Back in November, I was walking my dog with my parents and we stumbled on an RC field where a couple of birds were in flight. Immediately my inner-kid came out and since then I've been lurking MRC.com and looking forward to diving in officially. I have a tendency to get way too far ahead of myself and I blame my structured, goal-oriented personality. I have an idea of what direction I want to head after I feel I'm prepared to advance after the trainer plane. I'd imagine, assuming my skill level is considered intermediate, the next setup would be a warbird (likely the F8F). I think part of me is more excited to tinker, build, break, and fix than I am to actually fly.

But before I get too far ahead, as I've only logged time on a simulator and have zero field experience, I wanted to ask you all about all the non-sexy stuff newbs don't consider when getting the hobby going (work station, balancer, protractors, tools, glues, weights, etc, etc). Is there an "essentials" list of things involved with building/repairing/maintaining things? I'm a man of organization and intend to be in this hobby for a long time so in terms of equipment and planes, I want to always stay ahead so I'm not only prepared, but always stay organized (if anything will keep the wife from giving me a hard time with junk laying around). Any info to get started is appreciated everyone, thanks very much!

You will need to buy a set of JIS compatible screwdrivers, as most currently available models are made in China, and that's the type they use; Phillip's screwdrivers will strip the screw heads. Metric hex keys, a set of hobby knives, haemostat-like locking pliers, small metric nut wrenches are other tools you may need. If you stay with electrics, a good balance charger, the kind that displays cell Voltages and mAh put back in, is a good idea (I think it's a necessity), as well as a separate cell Voltage checker. For any experimenting with the power system (prop changes, different battery Voltages, etc.) a Watt meter is needed, IMO. If you really get into the building side, there are still kits and plans for balsa and ply construction, which requires another set of tools. Look at older posts for favorite glues, paints, etc.

You will inevitably find you need another tool, so locate a good hobby shop, and on-line suppliers.

Comment

I plan on placing my first RC order today and will be purchasing the F8F Bearcat. I see myself only sticking with foam models for the time being (scale warbirds and EDFs eventually) and will also be purchasing the above recommended products. Is there anything else in terms of making building and/or repairing easier (glues, tools, etc) I should consider purchasing as well? Otherwise I plan to just add things as needed. Thanks again everyone, hoping to get some flight time in real soon.

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk (and the hobby), I would highly recommend getting a plane like the Dynam Hawk Sky to learn on. The Hawk Sky can take a lot of abuse and will help you get use to orientation and you can hand launch and belly land it with the wheels off then put them on when you get comfortable trying to take off and land on a hard surface, it's also a taildragger so it will help when you advance to warbirds.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
          I plan on placing my first RC order today and will be purchasing the F8F Bearcat. I see myself only sticking with foam models for the time being (scale warbirds and EDFs eventually) and will also be purchasing the above recommended products. Is there anything else in terms of making building and/or repairing easier (glues, tools, etc) I should consider purchasing as well? Otherwise I plan to just add things as needed. Thanks again everyone, hoping to get some flight time in real soon.
          :Scared: Three weeks ago upon introducing yourself as "Super Newb" and proclaiming yourself as having zero field experience, what has occurred since then that you believe that your first plane to learn on is a warbird??
          TiredIron politely eluded to the fact that you would have higher level of success by going with a "trainer" style airframe and I totally have to agree.
          Being a flight instructor at my club, I have seen the gamut of new pilot aspirations and I'm gonna tell ya straight up that going down this path with the Bearcat is setting yourself up for a highly probable disappointment in success.
          A lot of us on this forum have seen the wild eyed newb's try to run before they could walk and it was not pretty..............just saying ;)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

"But it goes 100 miles per hour.":)

Comment

Thanks TiredIron, for the recommendation, and the welcome. As it was so bluntly pointed out, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I went ahead and purchased the Hawk Sky as recommended as a trainer to beat on. Once some confidence is attained I'll move on to the Bearcat to get my warbird feet wet.

Comment

Thanks TiredIron, for the recommendation, and the welcome. As it was so bluntly pointed out, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I went ahead and purchased the Hawk Sky as recommended as a trainer to beat on. Once some confidence is attained I'll move on to the Bearcat to get my warbird feet wet.
                Good choice ;) You can still buy the warbirds, just do like I did...I bought them and just admired them until my flying skills improved enough to fly them:)
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Yeah and I'll go ahead and stir the pot to echo this. Already pre-ordered the A-10. It'll just serve as a pretty model until I'm ready to fly it

Comment

Yeah and I'll go ahead and stir the pot to echo this. Already pre-ordered the A-10. It'll just serve as a pretty model until I'm ready to fly it
                    That's the spirit!
                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Just thought I'd share with you all my first flight. Got everything charged and balanced last night. Took it to the field tonight and after a few miserably failed attempts at taking off in grass and gravel, ditched the gear and went for the hand launch. Got about 7mins of flight time in, trimmed it out the best I could. Pretended a landing approach as if it were a paved runway and finished with a soft belly landing. I've waited for that flight since I was 12. Great day today. Bring on the A-10......

Comment

That's awesome, wear that plane and a couple more out and you'll be ready ;)
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Just a little update on my progress thus far. The Hawksky was a great recommendation and flies wonderfully. Very easy to take out near me and tool around with. Very predictable and easy to build confidence. I've been flying consistently now since early June and feel much more comfortable. Of course, I either got too excited, or too big for my britches when I opted to take the Bearcat out at a club near me. Naturally I got there incredibly early so as to avoid any crowds and to potentially keep other pilots/planes out of harms way.

Had a hard time getting it up as the plane wanted to drift left on the runway. It tumbled over twice but 3rd attempt was able to get it in the air, and this is where trouble continued. Lots of up and down movements, couldn't seem to get it under control. Managed to get the gear up, but unintentially left the flaps deflected at stage 1 (20mm). After analyzing my behavior, I imagine I made things worse by backing off the throttle and just continued to fight a tip stall while attempting to trim. After about 40s or so, it of course ended up in the ground and thankfully minimal damage (lost a gun barrel, set screw, broke a prop blade). Initially I thought my CG was off and the plane was just behaving tail heavy. Just reassembled last night and re-balanced (4s 3600 all the way forward), and it looks about perfect per the manual at 85mm. I'll just chalk it up to me being an amateur.

Just thought I might get some tips on this as clearly I'm not ready for this just yet; although I feel I'll give it another shot in a few weeks for fun. I'd wanted to consider the Dynam Primo V2 as another beginner plane to work with the flaps and off-road landings. Anyone have any experience with this? I figure this could handle the snow we get in the winter too :)

Comment

Some other things that you might want to do some work on is the setup of your plane. Not just the cg but also the deflection of the control surfaces. If you had them at 100% and not ready for that much deflection it could explain the tail heavy feeling for the Aircraft. I always put my planes on a 3 way switch. Position 1 50% of my throws with 30% expo. Position 2 70 -75% throws and 30% expo. Position 3 ( most planes not all) 100% except the elevator and that depends on the plane with 30% expo. Over deflection of the control surfaces and not being experienced can really become costly. Take time and research how to set your planes up. Learn about deflection and how much you need. Learn about exponential and how to use it. These are all tools also to being successful. Captain Mike does 4 videos on setting up a tactic 650 that would really help you with this. I dont no how to post the site so maybe some of the other guys can help with that. Its on Motions site for the tactic 650 radio. Hope this also helps.:)

Dewey l

Comment

G'day purduephigam,
                              Mate, you are trying to go too fast in your build up. Slow down a bit and smell the methanol!:)
                              I fly FMS 1400 series model [mostly] and my favorite birds are my three P-51D Mustangs.
                              This is how I set my control surfaces.
                              Ailerons :- Control rods set to the servos for minimum throw and then a pull the end point adjustment back to 80% and 30% negative expo. No more!
                              Rudder :- Control rods as above but end points set for 140%. Absolute maximum. Zero expo.
                              Elevators :- Same for the control rods but end point set for 140% on up, for taxiing and 80% on the down. Elevators are the easiest to control as you need very little movement to get the aircraft to respond.
                              The fact you mention of the model going left is expected and you failed to correct that drift with the rudder. It is so important to get on the rudder as you advance the throttle and do not go nothing to all in one hit with the throttle. Ease the throttle on gently and massage the rudder to keep straight.
                              On a tail dragger, it is very important to use the rudder. Train yourself to use the rudder in all phases of the flight. It becomes second nature after a while and I can tell from the ground which pilots are shy of the rudder.;)
                              I am an instructor here in Australia and if you were my student, you would not be flying the warbird yet. Unless you can fly every day, I usually find that a new pilot needs a good twelve months to graduate to a warbird and we fly all year round here!
                              I love the fact that you are keen but you can teach yourself some bad habits going too early. I see this every time I am at the field, any field. The pilots with self taught bad habits. I do not mean that you are not under instruction but you do seem to be at risk of teaching yourself to do it wrong.
                              Go steady 'grass hopper' and you will break many less models and have much more fun in the long run.
                              Regards and respect
                              Daryl
                              PS, I have started on my Tony Nijhuis 134" Avro Lancaster. It will take about four years and I am already in training for this. Doing mental flights and going through a check list of possible problems.
                              I am already nervous and it will 2020 before she flies!!!!

Comment

Hey purduephigam. Keep us posted. Im very interested in hearing of your learning curve and accomplishments. I know that mine would have made great reading. Shoot i even taught a Pandora to climb a flag pole and come down un scaved .LOL:Silly:
                                Happy flights..:)
                                Dewey l

Comment

G'day Dewey,
                                  I have never put a model into a flag pole but it would have been interesting to watch.
                                  I must ask a question, did you salute when lowering???;)
                                  I put a Mustang between two trees [trees over one hundred feet high] when I lost concentration and I have clipped the props on the ground when showing off for my mates kids.
                                  I also hope that purduephigam keeps us up to date so we can guide him along.
                                  It is my hope that I did not come across as too stern in my last post but I really want to help him be a better pilot. Flying is much more fun then repairing.
                                  I hate seeing models crash when it can be avoided.
                                  It is great to be keen but one needs to be aware of letting ambition outweighing ability and, yes, I have been guilty of that as well.
                                  Regards and respect
                                  Daryl

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I'm actually putting in an order for a Freewing Pandora and will be cycling through the high-low wing setups as well as the trike and tail dragger options to get more comfortable with flying in various setups. I plan on flying through the winter as well, pending wind conditions. I'll certainly keep everyone posted.

As for setups, this information here is very valuable. I think I got too technical with the manual, not thinking about expo, etc. I'm not convinced my warbird failure was CG, but pilot error due to too much throw on my control surfaces. All I know is, my A-10 isn't going anywhere for about a year, haha.

Comment

Maybe even a little longer;).
                                      Dewey l

Comment

Hey Daryl i didnt have the time. It was quick.:Whew:LOL.
                                        Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                        X