You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Beginner RC aircraft (list provided)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first two planes were the Flyzone Calypso powered glider, followed by the Flyzone Sensei. Both are included in the latest versions of the RealFlight simulator, so I was able to practice with them before buying and flying the real planes.

The Calypso glider is very forgiving. It powers up to altitude quickly, is agile enough for some basic aerobatics, but glides slow enough to give the beginner time to react. The large wing area comes out of a stall easily, and the relatively short amount of time it needs the motor running allows for long enough flight times for good practice. When I flew mine a couple of weeks ago, I was catching thermals with it, and had the wind not been coming up that morning, could likely have kept flying for an hour or more, easily.

The Sensei is very similar to the Apprentice. It has Flyzone's "WISE" system, with "Beginner," "Intermediate," and "Expert" settings. Flyzone guarantees flight success with the Sensei, under the provision that the new flyer makes their first flight under the tutelage of an AMA club instructor. My only annoyance with my first flight with the Sensei was that I'd flown it a number of times on RF 7.5, and the Intermediate setting on the WISE system limited my controls more than I needed. I've left the WISE system set to "Expert" on all flights since.

The biggest drawback is that MotionRC doesn't sell the Flyzone planes. Of course, I'd bought both before I'd heard of MotionRC, though I have no complaints on the service received from the other retailer where I bought them.

I enjoy flying both of these planes, and have no hesitation in recommending them to other beginning RC pilots. I suspect I'm going to continue to have fun with them as I progress in skill and experience as well.

Comment

After a 30 year gap since flying RC I bought the Hobbyzone Carbon Cub S+ BNF. I also bought a Spectrum DX8G2 and a Hitec X2Plus Back Edition Charger. I am very happy with all those products. The Cub was very easy to fly and land, I highly recommend it. If you are brand new to RC go with the RTF package. It will be a lot more user friendly for newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by goosekiller1 View Post

The Pandora was my first trainer when I came back into RC flying after a 9 or 10 year break What was I thinking :Loser:. As far as the Pandora what a piece of junk don't do it ...
        Just curious, what were the actual issues you had with the Pandora? :Confused:
        I'm trying to get as much feed back for a clear understanding ... :Thinking:
        Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

Curious myself... been hearing nothing but good things about that bird. Well, until now. The Pandora is the (4in1) one that can setup either high or low wing and tricycle or tail drag landing, correct? I've been considering adding it to my training hanger.
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I don't know what Goosekillers problem was with the Pandora but Groosman, OV 10, and myself to name a few have that plane Gman has two and have no problems I'm aware of. I have over 150 flights on mine and love flying it and contrary to GK it has flaps.I have a real problem with someone who bad raps a plane then doesn't even explain what those problems were that they had which does not help the new guy make a sound decision on what plane to purchase. That in my book is not good advice for a beginner looking for help.

Roy B.

Comment

EH!?!?
              The Pandora is a great airplane, don't know where he had the problems.
              My two both were flown as high wing taildraggers at first, then I went low wing and never looked back
              Pandora One, has had several mishaps and has even been on fire. She's still flying with the original fuse (The fire was caused by the ESC going up in smoke because someone, who name will not be mentioned, :Silly: didn't kill the throttle after a crash and burned it out) They've both had a few sets of L/G and run Dave Browns now. Pandora One has a new set of wings, well, she got a new set when I painted her Red White and Blue. Pandora Two has Pandora One's wings as I put a fair sized hole in the leading edge of the original wings. I moved the battery bay back into the cockpit area when I swapped out motors for the 3560kv 580. The one that the RocHobby Waco comes with. Recently installed the spare E-flite Spitfire motor in Pandora two, just for the hell of it.

The point being, you can do anything with this plane, mod the hell out of it or fly it stock. Mine are 4 years old now and still fly like a dream, albeit slow as compared to the warbirds, but there was a day when they seemed plenty fast. As Lon once said, fly the Pandora until you can land smoothly 50 times in a row then you're ready for warbirds. Worked for me and several others on this forum.
              Oh yeah, both mine have flaps......

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

BTW, if you missed the resurrection of Pandora One after a crash a couple of years ago, here's proof they're tough birds. The only thing I swapped out was the L/G.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	131190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8822.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	131191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8823.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	131192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8826.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	131193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8832.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	131194Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8834.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	131195Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8835.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	131196Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8836.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	131197
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8853.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	131198
                The result of a little foam-Tac and Foam Filler, some sanding and repaint. BACK IN THE AIR!!!
                BTW, it was the result of a faulty elevator servo. Ran down the runway and into the sage brush,:blueangry.
                Swapped out the servo as well, full disclosure:Cool:

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks guys... that about reads pretty much like all the reviews I've seen on this particular bird. Training to be a warbird pilot one day, I thought it to be good trainer for my needs. The main reason I jumped to the PT-17 was just to get some tail dragger type landing experience under my thumbs. I like the option of switching it to a low wing flyer as well. I do appreciate the negative feedbacks too though. Sometimes I can see if a negative can be fixed with some mods.. or proper setups (anal in my case). I may not feel I'm able to get my Corsair home in one piece yet, but I fer dern sure feel like I could build up from an ARF already!
                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                    Thanks guys... that about reads pretty much like all the reviews I've seen on this particular bird. Training to be a warbird pilot one day, I thought it to be good trainer for my needs. The main reason I jumped to the PT-17 was just to get some tail dragger type landing experience under my thumbs. I like the option of switching it to a low wing flyer as well. I do appreciate the negative feedbacks too though. Sometimes I can see if a negative can be fixed with some mods.. or proper setups (anal in my case). I may not feel I'm able to get my Corsair home in one piece yet, but I fer dern sure feel like I could build up from an ARF already!
                    Tried out my warbird trainer today Blues...

Comment

I have one of the new members coming out tomorrow and he's new to airplanes and has a bit of experience in drones. Out with the Pandora and buddy box. I was flying the Tomahawk and the Tigercat in cross wind conditions and showed him what I was doing. He was very appreciative. Wait til he tries the Pandora........

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Grossman56, excuse about faulty servo has been approved... jk

The Durafly Tundra is a nice trainer, but would prefer to be safe something like the Bixler 2.

Comment

I also like the apprentice S. If you are in a tighter flying area, you may want to switch to mode 1. In mode zero, being the most restricted amount of travels, you may discover the controls are too limited and may end up in a bad flight. Other than that, it flys very steady and does handle very well on a windy day.

Comment

Originally posted by Roof66 View Post
                            I also like the apprentice S. If you are in a tighter flying area, you may want to switch to mode 1. In mode zero, being the most restricted amount of travels, you may discover the controls are too limited and may end up in a bad flight. Other than that, it flys very steady and does handle very well on a windy day.
                            I can definitely agree with this. Mode 1 is what my son feels most comfortable with at the present, I am hoping that over the summer as he gets more stick time we can put him in mode2 and take the training wheels completely off

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              EH!?!?
                              The Pandora is a great airplane, don't know where he had the problems.
                              My two both were flown as high wing taildraggers at first, then I went low wing and never looked back
                              Pandora One, has had several mishaps and has even been on fire. She's still flying with the original fuse (The fire was caused by the ESC going up in smoke because someone, who name will not be mentioned, :Silly: didn't kill the throttle after a crash and burned it out) They've both had a few sets of L/G and run Dave Browns now. Pandora One has a new set of wings, well, she got a new set when I painted her Red White and Blue. Pandora Two has Pandora One's wings as I put a fair sized hole in the leading edge of the original wings. I moved the battery bay back into the cockpit area when I swapped out motors for the 3560kv 580. The one that the RocHobby Waco comes with. Recently installed the spare E-flite Spitfire motor in Pandora two, just for the hell of it.

The point being, you can do anything with this plane, mod the hell out of it or fly it stock. Mine are 4 years old now and still fly like a dream, albeit slow as compared to the warbirds, but there was a day when they seemed plenty fast. As Lon once said, fly the Pandora until you can land smoothly 50 times in a row then you're ready for warbirds. Worked for me and several others on this forum.
                              Oh yeah, both mine have flaps......

Grossman56
                              The Pandora is one TOUGH Bird !!!!!! I still enjoy flying it ...

Bryan
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Me too! Buddy boxed with a new flyer yesterday, the Pandora is a great Ambassador for the hobby!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post

Just curious, what were the actual issues you had with the Pandora? :Confused:
                                  I'm trying to get as much feed back for a clear understanding ... :Thinking:

My reasons for information, on any type of bad experience, is due to my unusual string of bad luck with some planes that I have. For instance, no matter what plane I get, I run into some sort of gremlin problem.

:Confused:​​First, everyone has good things to say about FMS 1400 P-51's, mine, was discovered to have an out of sync retract/door system. The doors would always close just a bit sooner before the gear retracted. Shortly after, one of the door servo quit, not to mention, a short in the wiring harness. But, these things happen at times, nothings always perfect.

:Thinking:​​Then, my other baby, the Dynam Corsair, started with the retracts not working. After obtaining a new set, found out the first set had a gear wire that wasn't spliced together right. (I think you read that right) one of the gear wire was actually spliced together, don't ask me by who or why, that's the way it came out the box. In addition, once the new set of gears was installed, I found out, they had a problem with, working, whenever, they, felt like it. Not to mention, that the ESC had it's own little problem, first with the stutter and then, later overheating and quitting(and she hasn't even been in the air yet), I'm not even going to start with the Nav lights!

:Straight-Face:​​Next on my list, the FMS Easy Trainer, which, to date, is the only one that has any real air time.
                                  :Whew:​​​​​​​​​Well, actually, nothing's wrong with her yet, other than a couple of cosmetic surgeries here and there.:Smug:​

So actually, right now, I've been able to discover certain conditions and qualities, which needed corrections and by doing so, has put me more in tune with my birds, in a way, that now, we are somewhat connected together and not just a plane and pilot. It use to be, ' if I go fly and something happens and it breaks, I'll get another one '. Now, I'm like, ' when I go fly, I'll not let anything happen to you or I'll fix you up, good as new.

:Hug:That's the bond that keeps you happy,(or and I going a bit to far)?:Silly:

But, what I'm trying to say, is that, I know, not all planes are flawless and maybe 8 out of 10 planes, will not experience many problems, however, if goosekiller1 and I are the, 2 of the 10, on the Pandora, at least I'll be aware of what may be in-store for me.

:Whew:There I go, running off and ranting again - when I get like this just tell me to stop ...:)

:Ligthbulb: ​Sssooooo ..... Anyone, with problems???

btw - "I kinda like these little emoji's sometimes" :Cool:​

Comment

Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post
                                    btw - "I kinda like these little emoji's sometimes" :Cool:​
                                    Noooooo.. :Silly:.. ya think?? If there was ever an emoti posting award, I'm pretty sure you just stole it! LOL

Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post

Noooooo.. :Silly:.. ya think?? If there was ever an emoti posting award, I'm pretty sure you just stole it! LOL

I shouldn't have been drinking a soda when I read your response, now I have soda coming out my nose, that's funny. But I guess I did go a little overboard, but it did help make my story a little bit fun for me ...

Comment

MCRiley;

the number one reason I stay away from retracts, more pain than fun. Its shifting the suffering from flying glow to using retracts.

Durafly Tundra, it lands almost anywhere, put floats and water it is. Does whatever is thrown at it, knife edge, inverted,unlimited vertical, fly slow, fast, windy conditions, no problem...

Its my trusted backup airplane whenever all others fail to get air time. For a beginner is an ideal airplane, just have the CG a little farther back than recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                                          The Hobby Zone Carbon Cub is an excellent candidate as well. And in fact if you get the BNF version and purchase the DXe separate, you can add the flaps. (The flap switches are not installed on the RTF model DXe) It also binds easily to other Spektrum supported aircraft to provide the SAFE and AS3X functions. This also allows you to use the radio to transition into more advanced BNF aircraft.
                                          I am a beginner and am looking at the Hobby Zone Carbon Cub, both RTF and BNF. A salesman at a local hobby store was adiment about me buying the BNF and then a better transmitter like the DX6e. He said I would be better off in the long run. But if you put the numbers to it, the RTF costs $299 and the BNF is $249, $50 difference. If you buy the BNF $249, battery $40, charger $20 and DX6e $170 you have $479 invested. The difference is $180 which is more than the cost of the DX6e. Why not buy the RTF and at a latter date, if you want, get a better transmitter like the DX6e, you would be $10 ahead,.

Comment

Working...
                                          X