Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing propellers

Hi,

Got a Volantex Firstar 3ch RTR plane for my nephew. The propeller twisted off after a few short flights, so I ordered some new ones.
    The motor shaft is smooth, so I was wondering how the propeller stays on at all. Would I be better off buying a motor which has a shaft
    with threads on it. Are there some common standards for electric motors and propellers which I should look out for?

Quad copter motors and propellers seem really cheap. Think they would do the job.

-First plane newbie

Sounds like your prop adapter came loose. Did you find the prop? The adapter is probably still in the prop. An adapter is required for a smooth motor shaft. The adapter should be tightened very well or it will slip off. Doc

Comment

This plane is what is called a "pusher" prop. It's got a high mounted motor in a pod at the top dorsal side of the plane. Take a look at the attached video to see how it should look.
      1. There is a prop adapter and a locking nut. Make sure you use a little FoamTac or other contact cement on the prop shaft threads.
      2. The prop adapter has a hex set screw that seats on that flat spot on the motor shaft. Also use a little contact cement on that screw.
      3. The propeller itself must be mounted facing the right way. Many newbies with pusher props will have the prop mounted facing backwards. It'll work but it won't provide the necessary thrust.

It's like that the whole assembly spun off (and you've lost it?). Replace that whole assembly. Try where you bought the plane. You don't have to get the stock assembly. You can get a different that locks onto the motor shaft as you tighten the prop nut. The adapter must be the same diameter as the motor shaft. Get a propeller that is the same diameter and pitch and balance it first.

Comment

One of the guys in the club maidened his Funjet. He complained that the thing hardly flew, much less doing 90 mph. I looked at the prop...It was on backwards! Doc

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately the propeller and whatever was attached on it flew off in a field and couldn't be found.
          Figured a bit taller grass might soften a crash landing, but made finding any peaces impossible.

Think I'll just wait and see what the replacement propellers look like.

There was a spinner which was plastic but didn't seem to have any screws for tightening. Seems odd since the shaft is completely round and the propeller doesn't seem to have any descent way to grip it. The motor shaft has a diameter of 2mm and comes out of the plane 7mm.

Will definitely look into those adapters. 3mm propeller axle size seems to be pretty standard?

Click image for larger version

Name:	plane-motor1.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	88795

Comment

Originally posted by Pandroid View Post
            Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately the propeller and whatever was attached on it flew off in a field and couldn't be found.
            Figured a bit taller grass might soften a crash landing, but made finding any peaces impossible.

Think I'll just wait and see what the replacement propellers look like.

There was a spinner which was plastic but didn't seem to have any screws for tightening. Seems odd since the shaft is completely round and the propeller doesn't seem to have any descent way to grip it. The motor shaft has a diameter of 2mm and comes out of the plane 7mm.

Will definitely look into those adapters. 3mm propeller axle size seems to be pretty standard?

Click image for larger version  Name:	plane-motor1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	88795
            Actually, if you look at that video I put up, it shows you what the prop is held on by.
            This is the sort of thing you need for that plane:
            https://hobbyking.com/en_us/prop-ada...crew-type.html
            See what HobbyKing will charge you from shipping from their US West warehouse. It may not be worth it. Go to a local hobby shop with the plane and see if they can size on up for you.
            2mm is only one size of many and I wouldn't call any size "standard". Then the propeller must match the size of the shaft on the adapter.

Comment

Should really buy such an adapter. The one we got didn't come with anything nearly as nice as the one in the video. The whole motor assembly looks quite different. What we had looked more like:

And not much more. Better get one of those aluminium ones.

Comment

Should really buy such an adapter. The one we got didn't come with anything nearly as nice as the one in the video. The whole motor assembly looks quite different. What we had looked more like:

And not much more. Better get one of those aluminium ones.
                That is just the propeller and spinner cone. You also need the prop adapter. The little cone does nothing except for cosmetics to hide the nut. Unfortunately, that propeller is only available from their Hong Kong warehouse. Shipping on that will likely take "forever". The adapter is in stock in their Oregon warehouse and you should get it in a few days. However, don't know what the shipping cost will be. Might be too much. You don't need to little cone. Get the adapter and get the propeller from a local hobby shop. Even better, just go to the hobby shop with the plane and get them to match up a suitable adapter and propeller for you.

Comment

It would be nice to know the diameter and pitch, since those parameters set the power requirements. The spec page says it is 100.0 long (guessing mm, so just under 4"), but nothing about pitch. Those numbers should have been molded into the prop, but since it's now gone ...

I found on another site that the stock prop is 4.25x2.7; not a standard size, but if you stay close to that, like 4x3, it should be OK.

Comment

I LOVE to see a newbee learning. Hang in there. Read everything you can about RC, and thankfully, you have these knowledgeable Hobby Squawk guys jumping though fiery hoops to help you out. What a great bunch of guys! Good luck! Doc

Comment

Thank you all for the good advice. I got some replacement propellers, but turns out they're just stuck on the motor shaft and seem to be self tightening all plastic parts. This kit is definitely not the greatest quality, a controller stick also broke off etc. But the frame could probably be modified into something fairly ok for a beginner. We flew it a few times. However if someone looks for a beginner kit, it might not be a bad idea to build one from parts.

Comment

Thank you all for the good advice. I got some replacement propellers, but turns out they're just stuck on the motor shaft and seem to be self tightening all plastic parts. This kit is definitely not the greatest quality, a controller stick also broke off etc. But the frame could probably be modified into something fairly ok for a beginner. We flew it a few times. However if someone looks for a beginner kit, it might not be a bad idea to build one from parts.
                        Try this setup...

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                        X