Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New Pilot

Hello Everybody!

It is an absolute honor to be among veteran pilots! A little about myself, I’m a Marine Corps veteran, served on the Marine One helicopter squadron security forces as a military police officer for five years. There, I was privileged to make friends with the civilian flight instructors and was able to log about 80 hours in the VH-3 Sea King flight simulator, which was epically awesome! I have been fascinated by flight my whole life, and it all started with those balsa rubber band wind up planes from the five and dime store!

My only R/C flying experience has been with those tiny gyro helicopters goofing around in the living room with coffee table landings, and an earlier version of the Diamond 600 novice park flyer when I was in high school that was good for flying in circles and getting caught in trees.

After years of wanting to get back into the hobby, I finally pulled the trigger on a Sportsman S+ from HobbyZone, and it will be here Tuesday. I haven’t been this excited for something in a long time. I’ve read so many posts on Hobby Squawk prior to ordering, as well as my own research for what I thought would be a good starter “big boy” plane.

I am confident that I’ve educated myself beyond a basic understanding of my new aircraft, but what I am in the dark about is the AMA thing I’ve seen talked about. I know of an R/C club that has a beautiful runway and bleachers, etc, literally 1,200 yards from my house, but I have no clue as to the etiquette of approaching the club for membership to use the airfield, or how any of that works.

Also, I have a driving force of interest in flying a warplane in the future, however, I understand I have a lot to learn before I even consider purchasing one. I have the patience of a wolf stalking a deer, so I will surely be waiting for at least two years of flying before graduating to something that advanced. That being said, I’d like to learn about what I can do to upgrade this Sportsman S+ such as motor, ESC, etc. (all of which I am very uneducated on) so any input on that front would be greatly appreciated. Of course I won’t be adding upgrades until next season after this fall/winter of learning to fly. One thing I’m looking forward to is adding floats to fly off the lake!

Lastly, the Sporstman S+ RTF comes with a DX4 radio. I’d eventually like to add flaps and navigation lights and possibly a bomb door to have some fun dropping paratroopers or something. Again, I’m totally unfamiliar with the channels of radios or how they work with the receiver in the plane, so any insight y’all might be able to provide on a good radio to plan to upgrade to and receiver, etc is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the few minutes to read my post, and I can’t express how appreciative I am for your time to reply! I’ll be out of commission for the whole month of October as I just recently underwent extensive back surgery to remove two herniated discs as well as a bone spur that was poking my sciatic nerve. I’m on week two of the recovery now and can start to drive on Tuesday, so it’s perfect timing to go sit in a chair and fly for a little bit! Thank you again for your time, and happy flying!

Respectfully,
    Sergeant Charlie

Hi Sergeant Charlie! Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

You have come to a fantastic community of fellow RC pilots, and not just RC pilots but folks with military, civilian and commercial background in aviation. It truly is a gathering spot for anyone locked into the love of aviation from all angles.

Now first and foremost, nothing is more important to us here at Motion RC than to celebrate and thank all of our military members and veterans. So when we say "thank you for your service" it's heartfelt, and we mean it.

So thank you for your service.

Now with the important stuff out of the way let's talk about this addictive hobby of ours! So you purchased a Sportsman S+. Nice! So many sweet features and I love the scale looks as well. From Auto Land to Holding Pattern and Virtual Fence, you would be hard pressed to get into trouble with that bird so kudos to you for picking a great trainer.

As far as the club close to you, bring your Sportsman to the club and simply ask for help. I guarantee you that you will find help. Most folks are more than happy to assist a new comer. AMA fields are ideal because AMA pilots are all about safety first which should always be paramount in this hobby. Second, they are more than happy to help new pilots out not just in the practice of stick skills but again, safety.

As for a radio, you will want to upgrade to a higher channel radio if you want the functionality you talk about. Flaps, lights, bomb drops, etc....Maybe a DX8 or DX9?

Hope your recovery goes quick and easy! If you have any questions at all reply here or send our Customer Support team a message, they will be more than happy to help!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Welcome Sergeant Charlie,
      Thank you for your service and dedication to your country.
      I salute all who serve no matter what country and, as the USA is a great ally of Australia your service has been important beyond your shores.
      I have no doubt that you will be looked after on HS by a very good bunch of people with loads of experience and the love of helping people out.
      I have no experience on the aircraft you have purchased but I do share your excitement of getting your new machine.
      All the people here have started where you are now. so, we all have understanding of where you are at.
      I fly warbirds here in Australia and I am an instructor, so when I can, I will help you out. And I do not give advice unless I actually do it myself.
      Once again, Sir, welcome.
      Regards and respect
      Daryl

Comment

Thank you so very much for your support of service members! It was absolutely my honor to serve. I am so excited to be a part of this community. From all the threads I’ve read prior to joining, I am highly impressed to say the least.

I’m relieved that you approve of the Sportsman S+, I’ve read that some folks were against some of the technology claiming that it takes away from learning how to fly. Of course I don’t intend on using auto land all the time! And that even requires a little assistance!

Shortly after I made my original post, I joined AMA for a year and also registered with the FAA, so when I do get in contact with a club, they will see that I’m seriously committed to safely learning to fly and progressively advance in the hobby.

I was looking at the DX8 and 9, is it really that simple to just get a radio with more channels and a receiver to support it?

Upon further investigation, I learned that there are three active clubs within 20 minutes of my house, and I’m pretty sure I recognized someone in a picture on one of the websites, of whom I’m acquainted with through another organization, so I’m going to talk to him about getting in. Their website states that a candidate must be sponsored by a member in order for him to be eligible for membership.

Thank you for your your quick replies! I think it’s awesome to connect with someone from down under! I made it to Canberra with President Obama in 2010 but didn’t get to do much sightseeing as it was all business. Definitely on my list to get back to for a vacation! Seems like there’s quite a few warbird enthusiasts here, and I’m sure I’ll be picking your brain in a year or so when I’m ready to graduate to one!

Thank you so much again, Daryl and Aros.MotionRC!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarineOne5811 View Post
          I was looking at the DX8 and 9, is it really that simple to just get a radio with more channels and a receiver to support it?
          Yes and no. If you grow rapidly into this hobby and use your radio equipment regularly and frequently, you will find that there is a likelihood that the transmitter will become in need of repair and various aspects of it will become "problematic" just from age and use. Things like switches that break and need replacing, glitches in the display will compel you to say, "enough is enough". Then it's time to get the next iteration of the equipment. So, next comes the question that you and likely only you can answer. Will you get to that point where you will be looking into another new transmitter before you've even needed the extra channels (and capabilities) of the old one? If you get the DX9 now, will you use it for what it can do for you before you find yourself in need of new gear? If you get the DX8, will even it, be "overkill"? [What I'm saying is ................................... Your upcoming plane needs only 4-channels and that's what it comes with (DX4e), which BTW, Horizon no longer lists as a product you can buy by itself. So, in a way, it's sort of obsolete already, or at least, a very simple, economy model that is only sold with specific planes.] If you want to do the bomb drop and add flaps, maybe a 6-channel TX will do you for the next couple of years. It will save you some money and not be at a level of complexity for what you are trying to do.
          The current generation of transmitters, starting with the 6-channel DX6 or DX6e, can hold up to 250 models and they are currently on sale (actually, many of the Spektrum TXs are on sale). With each plane, you will need (or should have) a dedicated RX (receiver). These days, with the introduction of "Spektrum compatible" RXs like Lemon or MotionRC own branded RXs from Lemon, cost is much reduced from the higher priced Spektrum products. Do your research now (and soul searching) and you will save some money and frustration down the road.

Comment

Welcome, I can not express how much I thank you for your service. Again welcome and I hope you enjoy this addiction as much as the rest of us do.

Comment

Oops double post:Silly:

Comment

farmflyer: Thank you so very much for your support! It has been my honor and privilege to serve. I received my new Sportsman S+ today, and stayed up until almost 0400 putting it together and reading the manuals for the plane and transmitter. I don’t think I’ve been this excited about something in a very long time... hands shaking as I’m trying to put in the screws for the landing gear from the excitement! I linked up with a friend of mine who belongs to a local club and has over 30 years of model flying experience to show me the ropes of beginner flying this weekend. It will take a tremendous amount of self control for me to not get her airborn prior to meeting with him! Haha. Thank you again for the warm welcome!
                xviper: Thank you very much for your reply and guidance! I never thought that getting a DX8 or DX9 would be overkill until you said that. It makes complete sense. Of course I saw the DX9 (or even DX18 ) and started drooling over it and wanted it, but it would not be practical for what I will be using a transmitter for during my coming few rookie years, as you caused me to realize. But because I’m a tinkerer, I’d truly like to create flaps and add a bomb door to my plane (maybe a winter project) and to make those operational, I’d need two additional channels, so I do believe that I will be looking into upgrading to a DX6(e) as you recommended. It won’t be overkill, it won’t give my wallet palpitations, and it will allow me to do what I’d like to do with my aircraft. The support I’ve received here since my initial post has been overwhelmingly awesome. I did not expect such rapid responses with the wealth of information provided. And I sincerely thank you for that and for taking the time to guide me in the right direction! I wish you safe and happy flying!

Comment

Originally posted by MarineOne5811 View Post
                  I’d need two additional channels, so I do believe that I will be looking into upgrading to a DX6(e) as you recommended. It won’t be overkill, it won’t give my wallet palpitations,
                  Just remember that for every feature you add to the plane that needs a servo (or servos that are linked together - ie, flap servos can be "Y'd" with a servo reverser on one of them to use only 1 channel), you need an extra channel. Once you get into planes with retracts and built-in flaps, that's all 6 channels. On those planes, if you decide you want to add bomb doors, you'll need more channels. If you can get by for the next couple of years (or more) with 6 channels, then the new DX6 (on sale) will be a good investment. The DX6e is somewhat more basic with less features. If you're going to expand more rapidly than this, then the new DX8-gen2 is the way to go. Another option is to see if anyone at the local club might be getting rid of a "gently used" transmitter that you can learn the ropes on. Used electronics like this generally can go for 25 cents to 50 cents on the dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Another option is to see if anyone at the local club might be getting rid of a "gently used" transmitter that you can learn the ropes on. Used electronics like this generally can go for 25 cents to 50 cents on the dollar.
                    That is so true, if you hang around plenty enough, offers will show up. I even had two drive-byes where I was given a free rc airplane, and thats one of them I learned to fly on.
                    Scored a nice JR 9303 (DSM2, which is more than enough), for a good price. Lemon-Rx receivers are compatible, right now using two rxs with no issues, good reception, with all the Tx available features, quick binding, etc. Its a 30 memory, 9-channel. Have bought a few used airplanes, and sometimes airplanes that are crashed, and the owner does not want to work on them, and gives them out for some gas money.

On the same token, every once in a while I return the favor. Have bought a few bulk rc airplane stuff through Craigslist at a good price, I grab what I need and then the rest give it out to club members.

Comment

Welcome, Sergeant Charlie ! I use a Dx-6 and couldn't be happier with it. If 6 channels is all you need, in my never so humble opinion, this is the way to go. Have you considered buying a flight simulator? One of these can save you a world of hurt and money. It's also good for keeping your skills up during the winter months. Good luck!!! Doc

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                        Very kind, generous people on here that reflect the company that supports this forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X